So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Postby Doonst » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:46 am

Kristi wrote:
Doonst wrote:
Kristi wrote:Krista!! You're like the little voice in my head! I think to myself, oh good, I can stop thinking about ultras now and then you go and post a perfectly reasonable training schedule!! What's another 7.8k?? I could do that, right??

Kristi heads off to look into what races might be in her neighborhood...


http://www.vulturebaitrace.com/

(garden garden garden...)


You're as bad as Krista!! I would be interested in that, but it's only 1 week after OIM. I might be losing my mind, but I'm not crazy yet!! However, let me know if you see any others...just in case I might be interested. :whistle:
Would an extra 2 weeks make any difference?

http://www.conquerthecanuck.com/hhill/
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Postby Size5 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:02 am

See now Kristi your OMI could serve as your peak run and then you could taper after that to conquer the canuck :D :twisted: :D

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

User avatar
KBO
Ben Johnson
Posts: 4825
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:14 am

Postby KBO » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:04 pm

runcherylrun wrote:Actually...................... I was talking to Dwayne tonight & he was telling me about this 50k race here in Manitoba in late September......... it's been rolling around in my head all night.


:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

nuff said....

Karen

PS: I'll be running the 10km thank you very much! Then I can be part of the pit crew for you insane (but lovely) people.

User avatar
Midge
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5069
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Postby Midge » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:27 am

Krista/Dwayne

Using the training plan posted at the beginning of this thread as a rough guide...how would you advise we approach the pacing? Obviously the LSDs are done slower than race day pace but how much faster (if at all) would the mid week runs be done? My goal would be just to finish, I have run 5 marathons since 2003 times varying from 4.17 to 3.56

When training for a marathon I do my LSD runs art 6.15 - 6.30 pace

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Postby Size5 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Midge

I didn't use this program myself... I found it in a magazine listed as a beginners program. I think personally if you want to "just finish" that it wouldn't hurt to make one of the mid week runs more of a tempo effort but you certainly don't have to in order to "finish". I ran my first 50km on 2 runs during the week, 2 other hard cross trains and a back to back long run on the weekend (sat/sun). I did no tempo.

I did however, run a hilly trail and I did hill repeats during 1 of my 2 weekday runs. What is the goal race? Is it a trail? Is it hilly? technical? I'd judge by that more than anything. If it is flat, paved and just distance you are tackling, then I'd say tempo during the week would be the biggest bang for your time. If it is hilly, technical or anything else, I'd say hill repeats are more worth your time.

Just for fun (and interest as a point of discussion) my current coach has these funky hill sprints :lol: that I do! Talk about a hybrid!

S5
Last edited by Size5 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Samantha
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 51965
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Postby Samantha » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Garden, garden on runcherylrun for Blackfoot this weekend............


:whistle:

Which is ironic since I'm not an ultra racer by any means!

User avatar
MINITEE
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19439
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: London, Ontario
Contact:

Postby MINITEE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:26 am

So I'll be packing extra socks I take it... :shock:

Moved to the appropriate thread... :oops: :oops:
Last edited by MINITEE on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Samantha
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 51965
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Postby Samantha » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:28 am

TracyW wrote:So I'll be packing extra socks I take it... :shock:


Wrong thread? :wink:

Team Average Jo
Percy Williams
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Lost Soul Ultra??

Postby Team Average Jo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Hey Juno??? Did you go to last year's Lost Soul Ultra??

User avatar
Ironboy
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 8201
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:57 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Lost Soul Ultra??

Postby Ironboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Team Average Jo wrote:Hey Juno??? Did you go to last year's Lost Soul Ultra??


Juno is a title (which change according to your post count), the bold name above "Juno" is the person's name.

;)

Team Average Jo
Percy Williams
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

thank you very much

Postby Team Average Jo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:10 pm

all new with this :)

User avatar
Ironboy
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 8201
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:57 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: thank you very much

Postby Ironboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Team Average Jo wrote:all new with this :)


Its all good. Welcome here.

So... um... who were you actually asking the question to?

Team Average Jo
Percy Williams
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Postby Team Average Jo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 pm

I was asking size 5. His picture is from the Lost Soul Ultra. Wicked race to go to!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: thank you very much

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Ironboy wrote:
Team Average Jo wrote:all new with this :)


Its all good. Welcome here.

So... um... who were you actually asking the question to?


oh dear god.

I saw that you had posted in here and was a little concerned that your 12 for 12 was making you think ultra thoughts. :roll:
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46742
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: thank you very much

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Ironboy wrote:
Team Average Jo wrote:all new with this :)


Its all good. Welcome here.

So... um... who were you actually asking the question to?


oh dear god.

I saw that you had posted in here and was a little concerned that your 12 for 12 was making you think ultra thoughts. :roll:


what, ironman's ok but ultra's not? :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: thank you very much

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 pm

klewlis wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
Ironboy wrote:
Team Average Jo wrote:all new with this :)


Its all good. Welcome here.

So... um... who were you actually asking the question to?


oh dear god.

I saw that you had posted in here and was a little concerned that your 12 for 12 was making you think ultra thoughts. :roll:


what, ironman's ok but ultra's not? :P


neither are advisable this year.

but, IB is his own person.......he can do what he wants! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16569
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Postby eme » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Team Average Jo wrote:I was asking size 5. His picture is from the Lost Soul Ultra. Wicked race to go to!


Size 5 is a she - but I agree, the avatar pic is awesome (makes me almost want to do an Ultra).

User avatar
Nicholas
Site Admin
Posts: 14192
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Nicholas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 am

So, 50K is considered an Ultra? Oh, oh...the Green Mountain Relay is 198.4 miles and we have a team of 6. That means if I do an equal share over the 30+ hours then I will run 53.2K. And this for someone who swore off marathons!
Nicholas

Events in 2017
Try to keep running, despite being a Gimp
May 14 - Sporting Life 10K
May 27/28 Cabot Trail Relay Race - Stage 15

User avatar
domparadis
Percy Williams
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby domparadis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:23 pm

if not a marathon, go longer
Next race

As many Ouser races as possible
Ultimate goal: Complete 100 at SulphurSprings since i was unable to do so this year

Kristen
Bill Crothers
Posts: 3408
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby Kristen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 am

I'm not sure what I'm doing posting over here. While ultras are on my long-term radar, I won't be attempting any in the next year or two. But I do find myself reading over here a little more frequently these days... hmmm...

User avatar
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby daddy_runner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Kristen wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing posting over here. While ultras are on my long-term radar, I won't be attempting any in the next year or two. But I do find myself reading over here a little more frequently these days... hmmm...


You're definitely prepared enough for at least a 50k. You could probably get 50 miles easy. No need to sell yourself short!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Kristen
Bill Crothers
Posts: 3408
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby Kristen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 am

dale_nesbitt wrote:
Kristen wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing posting over here. While ultras are on my long-term radar, I won't be attempting any in the next year or two. But I do find myself reading over here a little more frequently these days... hmmm...


You're definitely prepared enough for at least a 50k. You could probably get 50 miles easy. No need to sell yourself short!


That's kind of you to say, Dale. However, I do have a way to go before I get there. The final 10K of 42K are my current focus, and I'll have to leave the 50K races for a few years out. (but it's fun to dream)

How much were you running when you did the Lemming Loop?

User avatar
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby daddy_runner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:50 pm

Kristen wrote:
dale_nesbitt wrote:
Kristen wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing posting over here. While ultras are on my long-term radar, I won't be attempting any in the next year or two. But I do find myself reading over here a little more frequently these days... hmmm...


You're definitely prepared enough for at least a 50k. You could probably get 50 miles easy. No need to sell yourself short!


That's kind of you to say, Dale. However, I do have a way to go before I get there. The final 10K of 42K are my current focus, and I'll have to leave the 50K races for a few years out. (but it's fun to dream)

How much were you running when you did the Lemming Loop?


You really don't want to know... But since you asked: About 40 miles per week.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Kristen
Bill Crothers
Posts: 3408
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby Kristen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

dale_nesbitt wrote:You really don't want to know... But since you asked: About 40 miles per week.


I did want to know... :D

And this year? Do you think you'll be averaging about the same come loop time?

User avatar
daddy_runner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: So you want to be called crazy? (aka 50km beginner)

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Kristen wrote:
dale_nesbitt wrote:You really don't want to know... But since you asked: About 40 miles per week.


I did want to know... :D

And this year? Do you think you'll be averaging about the same come loop time?


I'm hopefully going to be averaging twice that. But who knows, with a newborn on the way I fully expect my life to get turned upside down.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100


Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests