Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

My current shoes are a year old (don't have a ton of mileage, but I'm still due for a new pair). I bought my last pair (Asics Kayano) for $75USD at an outlet mall in Arizona, but since I don't have any plans to travel to the US anytime soon*, where are people buying their shoes at a good price here at home (or online - though I don't want to get slammed with fees/duty).

Are the outlet malls around the GTA any good?

I'm looking for any of the following in size 9.5 or 10:
Asics Kayano
Asics 2000
Brooks Adrenaline

*FTR, I personally don't want the hassle of crossing the border, but I don't have any issues if my shoes have to cross the border, except for the above mentioned duty/fees.

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 30900
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:15 am

We usually pop into Sportchek once/week. They have a bin at the back of the store that we go through. There is no specific reason for the shoes they have in there, but we've found Asics Nimbus for 75.00 Canadian. I found Asics Cumulus for 54.00. They've had lots of GT and Kayano in the past for very reasonable price.
You just need to be patient and look through the box.
Sportchek on-line shopping has discounts on older models also. We've bought some that way also.

We do have one more sports store here called InterSport. It sometimes has BOGO half price, but it's still expensive when you pay 189.00 for the first pair.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 30900
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 am

I have your cell number. Next time I'm in I can look and if reasonable, I can text you to see if I should purchase and ship to you.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am

Habs4ever wrote:I have your cell number. Next time I'm in I can look and if reasonable, I can text you to see if I should purchase and ship to you.

:-BD

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm

I am finding it harder and harder to find shoes online at a great discount because many many brands won't ship from the US which used to be my go-to

For Canadian suppliers, I regularly check Sporting Life online, Sports4 online (LRS in Ottawa) and Running Free online. I've gotten some decent deals on previous year's models this way.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
ultraslacker
Site Admin
Posts: 46622
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: paradise
Contact:

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

it's been awhile since I've needed to, since my latest pair is over a year old and I bought it retail. but I've always bought online through holabirdsports.com

can you get what you need there?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)


First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

User avatar
Nicholas
Site Admin
Posts: 14168
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Nicholas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

The Running Room has a Sale tab on their web site. Their sale prices are often the same price as other stores are selling the shoe for but they do have some good sales sprinkled in there. In Ottawa (well, Kanata) we have a store that specialises in last year's & older models at a good discount. Great if you are happy with something like the Saucony Ride 8 instead of the new Ride 9. And our group gets 10% off those prices.
Nicholas

Events in 2017
Try to keep running, despite being a Gimp
May 14 - Sporting Life 10K
May 27/28 Cabot Trail Relay Race - Stage 15

User avatar
purdy65
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9915
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:53 am

Try 33-off.com. Tons of asiics there. Sometimes there is additional coupon code too. It's Canadian with free shipping over $100 so you might get a couple of pair at a good price.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks for the tips. We also have a RR warehouse outlet in the west end, so I might check there, too. It doesn't have to be online - I don't mind driving to stores in the greater GTA - I just don't want to pay more than $130 (tax included) for shoes! I'm fine with past years' models, too.

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 59479
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am

Ottawa / Kanata area has several outlets nowadays that I frequent regularly and have found great deals up to 50-75% off ... And, yes mainstream brands of Asics, Saucony, NB, Mizuno, Nike, etc ... Outlets in terms of actual stores that have an online presence but using these as a brick and morter location ...

Also, SportChek stores have a lot of regular sales in the 30-40% range, and depending each store location, may have a clearance section that is usually at least 50% off, usually one offs remaining stock ...

If you have a specifc model size, etc .. give me a holler and I can check for you next time I am in one of these stores ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
MrBond
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:38 am
Location: Toronto (East York)

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby MrBond » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 am

Running Free in Markham often has sales.

Get on their mailing list and watch for the discount codes.

http://www.runningfree.com/
"You're in over your head Donny..."

User avatar
Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 am
Location: Hanover, ON
Contact:

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu May 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Try thelasthunt.com

no_onions
Johnny Miles
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Markham

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby no_onions » Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm

There is a National Sports in Pickering at Hwy 2 and Whites Road. Half of their store is your regular sports store, but the other half is there clearance section which is really large. We buy all of our shoes for the kids there. There are lots of different running shoes (I have seen many Sauconys and Asics, but I don't remember what models. They also have many other brands, but since I am almost exclusively a Saucony user that is what I noticed)

I can't guarantee they will have what you are looking for, but it is a place to consider.

Mike

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16522
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby eme » Thu May 25, 2017 2:57 pm

La wrote:Thanks for the tips. We also have a RR warehouse outlet in the west end, so I might check there, too. It doesn't have to be online - I don't mind driving to stores in the greater GTA - I just don't want to pay more than $130 (tax included) for shoes! I'm fine with past years' models, too.


Just saw that Sportchek is having a flash sale (this is the womens Asics selection):

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/deals-and-features/flash-sale/womens.html#preselectedBrandsNumber=0&preselectedCategoriesNumber=3&q1=Deals+%26+Features&q2=Flash+Sale&q3=Women's+Clothing+%26+Shoes&q4=ASICS&rank=Rank12&x1=c.category-level-1&x2=c.category-level-2&x3=c.category-level-3&x4=brand

Kayanos (black) come to about $136 CAD with free shipping.

La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 am

eme wrote:
La wrote:Thanks for the tips. We also have a RR warehouse outlet in the west end, so I might check there, too. It doesn't have to be online - I don't mind driving to stores in the greater GTA - I just don't want to pay more than $130 (tax included) for shoes! I'm fine with past years' models, too.


Just saw that Sportchek is having a flash sale (this is the womens Asics selection):

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/deals-and-features/flash-sale/womens.html#preselectedBrandsNumber=0&preselectedCategoriesNumber=3&q1=Deals+%26+Features&q2=Flash+Sale&q3=Women's+Clothing+%26+Shoes&q4=ASICS&rank=Rank12&x1=c.category-level-1&x2=c.category-level-2&x3=c.category-level-3&x4=brand

Kayanos (black) come to about $136 CAD with free shipping.

Thanks for the tip! I bought the GT-2000 for $120. :)

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Stampie » Fri May 26, 2017 10:48 am

I'm late to the show here, but I've had success getting shoes thru eBay.

I've purchased two pairs of shoes (Brooks Glycerins 9 & 10) from this seller, TONEDZONE with great success. The shoes are listed as used when sold, but they are hardly that. This seller gets shoes returned to the manufacture, in most cases, and the manufacture sells them off in bulk. The sellers rating is good and I take the negative feed back they get with a grain of salt; how can they be accountable for the postal system or shipping over seas?

In my case, both pairs of shoes showed no signs of use when they got shipped to me and lasted well (I got 700-800K on both pair).
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2017
Feb 5th - First Half Vancouver CANCELLED due to snow :(
Apr 1st - Birch Bay 30K 2:56:52
May 7th - BMO Vancouver Marathon 4:24:14 a new PB!!! :dance:
Jun 25th - Scotia Vancouver Half 2:07:05 a PW, but so much fun!

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16522
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby eme » Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

La wrote:
eme wrote:
La wrote:Thanks for the tips. We also have a RR warehouse outlet in the west end, so I might check there, too. It doesn't have to be online - I don't mind driving to stores in the greater GTA - I just don't want to pay more than $130 (tax included) for shoes! I'm fine with past years' models, too.


Just saw that Sportchek is having a flash sale (this is the womens Asics selection):

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/deals-and-features/flash-sale/womens.html#preselectedBrandsNumber=0&preselectedCategoriesNumber=3&q1=Deals+%26+Features&q2=Flash+Sale&q3=Women's+Clothing+%26+Shoes&q4=ASICS&rank=Rank12&x1=c.category-level-1&x2=c.category-level-2&x3=c.category-level-3&x4=brand

Kayanos (black) come to about $136 CAD with free shipping.

Thanks for the tip! I bought the GT-2000 for $120. :)


Excellent!

La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Fri May 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Stampie wrote:I'm late to the show here, but I've had success getting shoes thru eBay.

I've purchased two pairs of shoes (Brooks Glycerins 9 & 10) from this seller, TONEDZONE with great success. The shoes are listed as used when sold, but they are hardly that. This seller gets shoes returned to the manufacture, in most cases, and the manufacture sells them off in bulk. The sellers rating is good and I take the negative feed back they get with a grain of salt; how can they be accountable for the postal system or shipping over seas?

In my case, both pairs of shoes showed no signs of use when they got shipped to me and lasted well (I got 700-800K on both pair).

I did once, too. But last time I checked they didn't have what I was looking for.

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby Stampie » Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 am

La wrote:
Stampie wrote:I'm late to the show here, but I've had success getting shoes thru eBay.

I've purchased two pairs of shoes (Brooks Glycerins 9 & 10) from this seller, TONEDZONE with great success. The shoes are listed as used when sold, but they are hardly that. This seller gets shoes returned to the manufacture, in most cases, and the manufacture sells them off in bulk. The sellers rating is good and I take the negative feed back they get with a grain of salt; how can they be accountable for the postal system or shipping over seas?

In my case, both pairs of shoes showed no signs of use when they got shipped to me and lasted well (I got 700-800K on both pair).

I did once, too. But last time I checked they didn't have what I was looking for.

I agree, it is hit or miss when you do a search. I do check regularly and there are deals, just not enough for me to pull the trigger. As of late I've been get shoes from the store I help as a clinic leader, so the needed for shoes is usually not a factor. Besides, my DW would not be too impressed if I got 'another pair' of shoes. :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2017
Feb 5th - First Half Vancouver CANCELLED due to snow :(
Apr 1st - Birch Bay 30K 2:56:52
May 7th - BMO Vancouver Marathon 4:24:14 a new PB!!! :dance:
Jun 25th - Scotia Vancouver Half 2:07:05 a PW, but so much fun!

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47379
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Where are people buying discount shoes these days?

Postby La » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:45 am

My new shoes arrived on Friday and they're great, but... I inadvertently ordered the Gore-Tex model and they're going to be too hot for running in the summer. :? Gah! :roll:


Return to “Gearing Up”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests