Polar - watch died

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
mayhem
Bill Crothers

Polar - watch died

Postby mayhem » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Just wondering, does anyone know what kind of battery it would need, should I try to change it or get a watch person to do it. I have a Polar that only has a heart rate monitor.

TIA
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Personally, I'd take it to a watch or jewelry store and get someone to change it.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks Kara, I just was under the impression it HAD to be changed by a professional...

I just need it for Thursday, teaching bootcamp.
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Certified Polar dealers are the only ones who can change the battery if you need keep the warranty intact. Otherwise, any jeweler or watch-dealer can do it as long as they leak-test it for waterproof properties. If you want to do it own, just take out the battery and bring it to the watch store.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

When I purchased my heart monitor, in 2001, I was told that all Polar watches had to be sent back to the "factory" for battery changes. That is why I purchased a Sigma Sport PC-7 instead. I have changed the batteries many times myself.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:48 pm

5km wrote:When I purchased my heart monitor, in 2001, I was told that all Polar watches had to be sent back to the "factory" for battery changes. That is why I purchased a Sigma Sport PC-7 instead. I have changed the batteries many times myself.

that is only to keep the warranty intact. once out of warranty any good jewellry store can do it - they do need to be leak tested for use in the water.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:51 pm

5km wrote:When I purchased my heart monitor, in 2001, I was told that all Polar watches had to be sent back to the "factory" for battery changes. That is why I purchased a Sigma Sport PC-7 instead. I have changed the batteries many times myself.

That is only if you want the warranty intact (as was stated above).

I took my HRM watch to get the battery replaced at the local watch repair shop. As long as they know what they are doing in regards to watches with seals, you are fine.

Most HRM warranties only last for a year anyways, so if it is over a year since you bought it - you don't have much to loose by taking it to a watch repair.

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Good to know, I was just about to send mine back..

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm

eme wrote:

That is only if you want the warranty intact (as was stated above).

Also, it doesn't have to be sent back to the "factory", but to an authorized Polar service centre. There are three in Canada, one in Toronto, on in Montreal (I think) and one in Vancouver (Time and Gold on Georgia St.).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

clocker
Bill Crothers

Changing batteries

Postby clocker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 am

If you choose to do this type of thing yourselves, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Magnification helps. If you're mechanically inclined and have proper tools it's a breeze. The mistakes that get made most often are in using metal tools and fingers or thumbs to do the work.

Using metal tweezers often creates a direct short with these slim batteries. Thumbs and fingers can leave acid etching finger prints that can lead to battery failure and corrosion. If you can find a wholesale battery supply place they may give you a pair of plastic tweezers for naught.

Keeping the dirt from around the case back and gasket from falling into the watch as you take it apart is a good idea too, as is cleaning the gasket and seat. A sharpened tooth pick would do the job. When reassembling the gasket, use "O" ring grease (silicone grease) to lubricate the gasket to create a good seal on a clean surface.
Hope this helps.

Any watchmaker worth his salt can do this for you. Jewelers and in particular, counter help, does not a watchmaker make. :twisted:
Ian

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks Ian!

For some reason I totally forgot what you did for a living! When I think of you, I think of a smile and creepy crawlies :lol:.

clocker
Bill Crothers

Myriad

Postby clocker » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 am

eme wrote:Thanks Ian!

For some reason I totally forgot what you did for a living! When I think of you, I think of a smile and creepy crawlies :lol:.

The distractions are many.
Ian

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:28 pm

Mayhem...My Polar watch was flashing low battery today and I immediately thought of you. Hex Hex Hex

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:15 pm

LOL Annette!
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

ilee
Tom Longboat

Postby ilee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:10 pm

My wrist watch is indicating low battery but a few of days before the wrist watch started its low battery warning I wasn't able to receive any heart rate data from the transmitter.

Is the low battery in the wrist watch the reason I couldn't pick up any heart rate data? Or do I need to replace both batteries?

Thanks,
Ian.

clocker
Bill Crothers

curious

Postby clocker » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm

Has anyone ever torn apart a chest strap or somehow proved that there is a battery there too? I've only ever replaced the watch battery and have had no indication of any failure in the chest strap.
Ian

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:35 pm

ilee wrote:My wrist watch is indicating low battery but a few of days before the wrist watch started its low battery warning I wasn't able to receive any heart rate data from the transmitter.

Is the low battery in the wrist watch the reason I couldn't pick up any heart rate data? Or do I need to replace both batteries?

Thanks,
Ian.

I just sent my whole thing in to Polar for replacement. I have done it before and they usually replace both batteries. They probably assume that they both die at the same time.

I also have a Suunto HRM and it has a battery on both the chest strap and the watch. The nice thing about Suunto is that you are supposed to be able to replace them by yourself.

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: curious

Postby jgore » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm

clocker wrote:Has anyone ever torn apart a chest strap or somehow proved that there is a battery there too? I've only ever replaced the watch battery and have had no indication of any failure in the chest strap.
Ian

Chest straps do have batteries. Older models were sealed so it was impossible to get into them. Newer versions allow you to change the batteries yourself. The newest higher-end Polars have the electrodes built into the flexible strap and the plastic portion that clips on contains the battery. I've always believed it made the most sense to change the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap at the same time, but I really don't know if it is necessary. Because the chest strap has only to broadcast the signal to the watch and the watch carries out all other functions, it's possible the battery in the strap will last considerably longer.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm

I have a Sigma Sport PC-7 heart monitor. When the display on the watch part becomes "wonky" I change the battery in the watch. When the pulse reading becomes erratic i.e. shows 90 bpm when it should be showing 180 etc. I change the battery in the chest strap transmitter.

clocker
Bill Crothers

Re: curious

Postby clocker » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:26 pm

jgore wrote:
clocker wrote:Has anyone ever torn apart a chest strap or somehow proved that there is a battery there too? I've only ever replaced the watch battery and have had no indication of any failure in the chest strap.
Ian

Chest straps do have batteries. Older models were sealed so it was impossible to get into them. Newer versions allow you to change the batteries yourself. The newest higher-end Polars have the electrodes built into the flexible strap and the plastic portion that clips on contains the battery. I've always believed it made the most sense to change the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap at the same time, but I really don't know if it is necessary. Because the chest strap has only to broadcast the signal to the watch and the watch carries out all other functions, it's possible the battery in the strap will last considerably longer.

Thanks Jim. I so want to take mine apart.

ilee
Tom Longboat

Postby ilee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:08 am

Okay, thanks everyone.

I just went to one of Polar's service centers and they replaced both batteries.

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Jenn, if you're planning to attend any of the larger races this year, keep your eye out for the Polar display booth at the race expo.

Polar sometimes offers a "tune up" for your Polar equipment, including battery replacement, etc., for a great price. Saves having to mail it off to them for any technical work. (Last time I saw it was in Otttawa at NCM.)
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Return to “Gearing Up”