Lululemon for Running

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
bgroot
Johnny Miles

Lululemon for Running

Postby bgroot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Hey Everyone.
I was just wondering if anyone wears lululemon clothes for running and what they think of it? Any sort of feedback is wanted.
They have some really awesome run stuff out and are looking for ways to improve the designs to make them the best in the world. I want to hear about what you have, what you love most about it and what you would do to make them better. Cheers!
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 pm

you sound like you work for them. ;)

one of our original members (lovethehills) is also a lulu employee. :)

I have quite a bit of the gear and LOVE it. I wear the deep v bras with the removable cups (awesome idea, btw). I have a couple of the tank tops (again with the removable cups). I have the run hills crop (LOVE them!), three running skirts (from three different years), a couple of long-sleeved tops (including one that I wear around even when I'm not running).

I've run marathons and an ultra in the running skirts, and would rather run in those skirts than any shorts I've ever tried--they are so comfy! I also ran my 2nd and 3rd 50k's in the hills crop since the weather was cool, and they were comfy (now that I'm injured and not running, I wear the crops for cycling--awesome).

I love that lots of gear is coming out with the reflecting patterns--my crops have reflective flowers and one of my tops has reflective birds. That's a great addition. I also love that I can look good AND feel comfortable at the same time. And that they've started adding pockets to more things...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:33 am

the mens long shorts are nice to run in. very comfortable and the leg opening is relatively narrow (good for my chicken legs) so there isn't a lot of material flapping around when running.

but they are expensive. i would not have paid $65 + pst & gst for running shorts. ever.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

LOL yeah I pretty much exclusively run in it! It's great- very flattering and comfy. It's not cheap, but compared to Nike or Sugoi or any of the other high-end running brands, it's not that expensive. However I did notice that in the US, everything is the same price but in US$! That's a bit much.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:25 am

I have some pieces and find them really comfy to run in, I especially like the pull over zip up for winter running, the sleeveless top, and the tech T's.
However it is all comfy, nice and functional.

It makes my running look that much nicer then it already does.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:34 am

I love my lulu clothes for running though I can only justify one or two purchases a year.

I have 3 pairs of the capris, one pair of long pants and 4 tank tops. It's too bad that it's so hard to get a tank without the shelfbra. I have big boobs that do not fit in a shelf bra. There should be more of a 50/50 distribution of the shelfbra/no shelfbra tanks.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:13 am

abhainn wrote:I have 3 pairs of the capris, one pair of long pants and 4 tank tops. It's too bad that it's so hard to get a tank without the shelfbra. I have big boobs that do not fit in a shelf bra. There should be more of a 50/50 distribution of the shelfbra/no shelfbra tanks.

I agree--it would be nice to have more tanks that I can wear my own bra with. Or a bra/no-bra option on the same styles!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

blue_cup
Ben Johnson

Postby blue_cup » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:26 am

I love my lulu gear for running. I'm pretty sure it's all I wear. My favourite is the racerback tank because it's great for layering and great for the heat. And it comes in fun colors. I keep buying 'em.

I keep missing the arm warmers though. Hopefully they'll be back again for the fall and I can get a pair.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am

ultraslacker wrote:
abhainn wrote:I have 3 pairs of the capris, one pair of long pants and 4 tank tops. It's too bad that it's so hard to get a tank without the shelfbra. I have big boobs that do not fit in a shelf bra. There should be more of a 50/50 distribution of the shelfbra/no shelfbra tanks.

I agree--it would be nice to have more tanks that I can wear my own bra with. Or a bra/no-bra option on the same styles!

Good point - for running, I often end up doubling up a regular bra with the shelf bra, but wear the tops with just the shelf bra for spinning or yoga.

I own a fair bit of lulu stuff which makes up the bulk of my running gear - 2 skirts (the original ones - I haven't loved any of the more recent ones quite as much) and 2 pairs of the tights for winter (with great reflective patterns on them). Plus a number of tanks and zip-up jackets. I also have two pairs of shorts, a pair of capris and pants for non-running times (are there times when I'm not running?).

One complaint I have is that the drawstrings often come out of the waist bands in the wash, and I have to struggle to feed them back around with the small knot at the end. A better system to keep those in place would be great!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:43 am

blue_cup wrote:I keep missing the arm warmers though. Hopefully they'll be back again for the fall and I can get a pair.

Start checking now, in the "accessories" section. I got mine around September last year where they were selling their gloves.

Love, love, love running in Lulu clothing. I agree it is a little expensive, but I think the fact that it is flattering, and they seem to pay attention to the functional little details is the reason that I will continue to spend the extra $$$$ for. You can tell they listen to their customers. I hope that continues.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:One complaint I have is that the drawstrings often come out of the waist bands in the wash, and I have to struggle to feed them back around with the small knot at the end. A better system to keep those in place would be great!

I haven't had this problem but that's mostly because once the ties are tied they stay that way. I love love love the newer elastic drawstrings. I have one pair of older capris that have just a regular fabric drawstring and I would love to be able to replace it with a new elastic one. I did ask this spring when I was buying my long pants but they didn't have anything. Because they are elastic I can tie it to the right tightness when wearing but it's still easy to take on and off without untying.

And I love the racer back tanks. I wear them under all my tops when working out, tucked into the pants. My store doesn't seem to have a lot of color selections. Last time I was there they only had the orange (which of course I love - but not in my size).
Andrea Michelle

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:12 am

The speed shorts I have include a drawstring that is not two separate pieces, so it can't go missing. Brilliant.

I plan on getting a new pair of speed shorts (black) and a pink singlet tank top for the race. The actual RUNNING tops are perfect to run in. The singlets, running Ts, etc. I keep seeing people running in the more yoga-type tank tops, and they look SO nice, but I couldn't run in most of them b/c I couldn't wear a bra underneath without it showing. The one I really like has two thin straps coming down the back. The exception is the deep-V tank, which perfectly covers my racerback sports bra. I love it- it makes me feel like I have boobs!

I see others running in these cute tanks with just the shelf bra, but I refuse to run without a sports bra. I'm not super big (see above comment), but I'm big enough that I think I'd really regret it in 20 years.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 am

Love, love, love the running skirts. If I could have gotten married in my running skirt, I would have. :)

Regrettably, my lulu purchasing has gone WAY down over the past year as our purse strings got tighter... but most of the stuff is such good quality that it's lasted (with the exception of my uber-expensive groove pants, which pilled up about a month after I bought them :( )
Next?
:)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 pm

ultraslacker wrote:you sound like you work for them. ;)

Pretty sure he does. :)

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:you sound like you work for them. ;)

Pretty sure he does. :)

You got it! :D

Brian (we do have to meet for coffee one day when you hit Novacks OK?)

As a trainer, I pretty much LIVE in my lulu pants/capris.

For running, it's the tops that I wear a lot as I find most of the shorts & skirts (no matter how much I adore how they look in the store) are a tiny bit too short for me as a slightly bigger girl.

Bras, I'm slowly switching from Champion sports bras to Lulu and Moving Comfort. As much as I like the Lulu bras, with wearing a white shirt as part of my work uniform, it's tough to get the bras I really like as they are too colourful :(

My most recent and new go-to top for running: Run Race Tech Tank. It's beautiful, comfortable, flattering & I get compliments every time I wear it. My go-to pant unfortunately is no longer made the Sleek Extend Crop. People are always asking me if they are new and I always have to say no :(
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:29 pm

I have a love hate relationship with Lululemon. Love the styles. But what happened to size 14? I am bigger girl too and I take offense to the size 12 being an XL. :)

I just don't think you should have to baby workout wear- like do it on the delicate cycle so it doesn't fade and pill. My lulu pants look like crap and attract cat hair! And for $90 that kinda chokes me. I have some other capris and my fave pair of shorts that look fine, but the fabric isn't quite as heavy as the pants. They seem to wear much better.

I have bought some Jockey stuff from a Jockey Person to Person party and their stuff fits true to size, is fashionable, and not quite as expensive. It's the fit that really attracted me to their stuff. So bring back the 14! :)

Lulu has made it OK to wear stretchy pants in public :) and that is OK by me!

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:42 pm

TriJenn IronVirgin wrote:But what happened to size 14? I am bigger girl too and I take offense to the size 12 being an XL. :)

So bring back the 14! :)

Jenn

+ 1

I actually didn't know the 14 was gone. The last thing I bought were the long pants and they are a little big in the 12 so it worked out. But I had originally asked for the 14s.
Andrea Michelle

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I love the Lulu clothing.

Yes its expensive but it never wears out. I have shorts that are 4-5 years old and they appear brand new except for the hearty aroma. I'd rather pay $65 for a pair of shorts that is well designed and lasts forever than $30 for a pair of shorts (Nike) that lasts a season before disintegrating.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Ta Ta Tamer. Love it. And the newer running top that has the graphic on the back of a woman running and a part of the lululemon manifesto.

Totally awesome!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

moxamoll
Percy Williams

Postby moxamoll » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:27 pm

abhainn wrote:
TriJenn IronVirgin wrote:But what happened to size 14? I am bigger girl too and I take offense to the size 12 being an XL. :)

Jenn

+ 1

I actually didn't know the 14 was gone. The last thing I bought were the long pants and they are a little big in the 12 so it worked out. But I had originally asked for the 14s.

I totally agree - I'm 5'8" and I'm not overweight by any means, but I usually need a 12 or 14 and they rarely have one. On the other hand, I think the clothes are totally overpriced, so not having my size in stock saves a lot of $$$!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:31 pm

moxamoll wrote:
abhainn wrote:

Jenn

+ 1

I totally agree - I'm 5'8" and I'm not overweight by any means, but I usually need a 12 or 14 and they rarely have one. On the other hand, I think the clothes are totally overpriced, so not having my size in stock saves a lot of $$$!

I think *some* of their stuff is overpriced, but definitely not all of it. I have yet to have to replace anything due to wear--and I wear it a LOT! Each one of my skirts, bras, crops, and tops has seen hundreds of km and still going... when you consider that a skirt or a bra is only $45ish, that's very good!

What I find to be overpriced are the pants (which is why I don't own any) and the jackets.

emmacunningham
Johnny Miles

Postby emmacunningham » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:55 pm

I prefer La Senza Spirit for running, but I live in Lululemon clothes at work (I teach Pilates).
-- http://www.pilatescore.net --

Up Next:
Beaches Jazz Tune-up 5k (Toronto) - July 26, 34 minutes
Oasis Zoo Run 10k (Toronto) - October 17

CdnMsFit
Percy Williams

Postby CdnMsFit » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Hello,

I'm new here. =)

I wish I could wear a lululemon top. I am a "woman of girth". The bottoms fit L or XL on me but my top.. well I wish they had 1X or 2X.

There is actually a general lack of support (hee!) for the girls when you are bigger. It is getting easier and better, though. I found two tops at the Champion Outlet store.. and I found some tanktops at Mark's Work Warehouse. It's hard to be me. Hehehe

Corinna

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 pm

I made my first Lululemon purchase this summer. I bought the Groove Groove pants, Reverse Groove shorts and the Knock Out shorts.

I love the Knock Out shorts with one exception. The fabric has pilled despite handwashing and hanging to dry. :(

I don't like the reverse groove shorts at all. I was warned that they might ride up when running but I was not expecting them to do this when I am walking/stretching/yoga. I have other tight-like shorts sans leg elastic that don't ride up at all. I wish I had bought 2 pairs of the Knock Out shorts

I need to hem the pants so they are still in the bag! I hope they hold up as well as the pair of Costco yoga pants I bought this summer for 1/5 the price!! They are fabulous so far - 1 month and 5 washings.

I also need to wear my own running bra so I would try a LL top sans bra.

I'm disappointed in the fabric based on what I had heard/read about it. So with that in mind, the price for the Knock Out shorts might be a bit high $48+ as I am not convinced that they will look *new* for much longer. I wear them about 4x a week.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 pm

msdesigner wrote:
I love the Knock Out shorts with one exception. The fabric has pilled despite handwashing and hanging to dry. :(

I'm disappointed in the fabric based on what I had heard/read about it. So with that in mind, the price for the Knock Out shorts might be a bit high $48+ as I am not convinced that they will look *new* for much longer. I wear them about 4x a week.

I so know what you are talking about!!! When you pay $98 for a pair of pants, you would expect them to wear well. And like I said, I don't think you should have to handwash gym clothes. You sweat in them for goodness sake.

I have sewn with Supplex before and am not a fan. I made my daughter some yoga pants and they pilled and faded too. I don't like that it is sticky and picks up lint in the worst way. Not all the Lulu clothes are like the pants- my tops are in good condition despite being Luon (Supplex). Different finish, I guess.

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

Return to “Gearing Up”