Laundry soap for running clothes?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Laundry soap for running clothes?

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

La wrote:
La wrote:I just bought a new liquid from President's Choice that's made for athletic gear. It has eucalyptus oil in it, so it smells yummy! I have a load in now, so I'll report back on how it worked.

Dark load is out and it smells great! :)

White load is in, but I used powder for that, with just a 1/4 capfull of PC Eucalyptus, just because I like the smell. ;)

I just saw that today while shopping and didn't know if it's worth it or not. Now maybe I'll try some, because La gave it the thumbs up (for smell anyway).
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:
La wrote:I just bought a new liquid from President's Choice that's made for athletic gear. It has eucalyptus oil in it, so it smells yummy! I have a load in now, so I'll report back on how it worked.

White load is in, but I used powder for that, with just a 1/4 capfull of PC Eucalyptus, just because I like the smell. ;)

I just saw that today while shopping and didn't know if it's worth it or not. Now maybe I'll try some, because La gave it the thumbs up (for smell anyway).

After what QC said to me in another thread, perhaps I should try it on me.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu May 19, 2011 10:53 pm

jgore wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:

:shock:
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 am

Stumbled upon this stuff for using on my daughter's cloth diapers, Rockin Green,
http://rockingreensoap.3dcartstores.com/Rockin-Green-Soap_c_1.html. It works great with the diapers! It tackled the ammonia problem and helps to bring back some freshness back to them. Best of all, it’s eco friendly! :mrgreen: We also use Borax and it helps, but not as great as Rockin Green.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 20, 2011 7:01 am

Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:

If you like the smell of eucalyptus, then you'll like this!

My running hats tend to be the things that hold onto smell worse than anything else. My hats smelled nice and fresh when I took them out - no lingering stank.

Marg bought some of the packet thingys that go into HE machines (I just have a regular top loader, so I got the liquid), so maybe as her how she likes it, too.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 am

La wrote:My running hats tend to be the things that hold onto smell worse than anything else. My hats smelled nice and fresh when I took them out - no lingering stank.

Me too!! I think I need to try this!

Usually we use the regular liquid detergent and now we put the stuff in the dryer except bras and hats.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 am

La wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:

My running hats tend to be the things that hold onto smell worse than anything else. My hats smelled nice and fresh when I took them out - no lingering stank.

Marg bought some of the packet thingys that go into HE machines (I just have a regular top loader, so I got the liquid), so maybe as her how she likes it, too.

LOVE it! I am going to look for it locally and may ask you to bring me some more if I don't find it. I find that recently even vinegar wasn't helping much. :shifty:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm

stampie wrote:Stumbled upon this stuff for using on my daughter's cloth diapers, Rockin Green,
http://rockingreensoap.3dcartstores.com/Rockin-Green-Soap_c_1.html. It works great with the diapers! It tackled the ammonia problem and helps to bring back some freshness back to them. Best of all, it’s eco friendly! :mrgreen: We also use Borax and it helps, but not as great as Rockin Green.

Went through Charlie's, then Rockin Green when my boys were in cloth dipes. Rockin Green was by far my favorite, as I could avoid using RLR or BacOut on a regular basis. However, last summer when I needed something to get the stinkies out of a MEC shirt, SportSuds sent me a ton of sample packages. Honestly, it as on par with Rockin Green, and MUCH cheaper to buy in bulk direct from SS since it shipped out of the Toronto area. If memory serves, it was 8K of SportSuds for $140 Canadian. For those looking to wash dipes and gear at the same time, you can ask SS about buying in bulk :wink:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 pm

La wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:

I tried this yesterday. They smell yummy!

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 am

I only just spotted this after you bumped the thread, Habs - now I want to try the PC stuff! Is it expensive? That's my complaint about the No Sweat - it's pricey. Baking soda usually does the trick for me, but I have one or two garments that just seem to be particularly stubborn about holding on to the smell - and not just holding it, but grabbing it from other things! My Midsummer Night's Run hoodie for example - I have never actually run in it, but washed it with my running stuff, and while everything else smells fresh, it smells sweaty.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:57 am

Huh, interesting. The stuff I learn on RM! :lol:

Anywho.....I usually handwash anything that has a lot of stretch to it, like running bras and my super overpriced running skirts. I use shampoo (habit from handwashing my handknits) and lay flat to dry. I don't hang stretchy items so they don't stretch out when wet.

For regular tech shirts, I usually wash them on warm with whatever detergent I happen to have, which is usually whatever the cheapest non-scented, phosphate/dye free stuff that was available when I last shopped... right now it's the PC Dye/Phosphate free powder. (Skin sensitivity issues to perfumed stuff). I never use softeners. Running gear is always hung up to dry.

If mine get stinky, I do what I do with my cloth diapers......wash 'em on a hot load with a bit of vinegar, and hang out in the sunshine to dry. Sun is GREAT for getting stubborn stink out!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 am

Doesn't everyone just jump in the shower after their workouts, with their clothes on ?? :shifty: :wink:

I've been using Woolite, exclusively for all my running / tech clothes ... Got a case load or two of the individual packs when they were given away as demo products .. :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 am

I'm not careful when I do laundry. Period.

I put it all in a rubbermaid type bin upstairs, Scotty carries it to the basement for me and dumps it on the floor. Then I scoop up an appropriate amount of clothes to fit in my front loader, dump some liquid (we use Purex) detergent in, some liquid fabric softener, turn it on and walk away. Over the years I've only had the occasional pink sock. Now I know not to wash Sophia's red fleece sheets with anything else. Occasionally I'll sort out all the white stuff to put in a "Bright Whites" load with some bleach and bluing.

In the summer I hang my clothes on the line when I can...mainly because I love the smell of line dried clothes. The only time I sort is when I'm pulling the wash from the washer, I fire all the underwear and socks into the dryer so I don't have to have all sorts of niddly-bits on the line. Otherwise, anything goes.

Scotty has a lot of tech-gear and a lot of sweaty, icky stuff from work. It stinks going in, and smells good coming out....always has. Only garments that have given us grief are a few of his old cotton PT shirts that I've since made him replace. Cotton is bad that way.

The funniest part of it all is that even after washing and drying (line or dryer) ALL of Scotty's shirts smell like his cologne at the front collar. I don't mind this one bit. My neighbours think I'm odd for sniffing all the shirts as I hang them on the line. :oops:
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 pm

gnu wrote:I only just spotted this after you bumped the thread, Habs - now I want to try the PC stuff! Is it expensive? That's my complaint about the No Sweat - it's pricey. Baking soda usually does the trick for me, but I have one or two garments that just seem to be particularly stubborn about holding on to the smell - and not just holding it, but grabbing it from other things! My Midsummer Night's Run hoodie for example - I have never actually run in it, but washed it with my running stuff, and while everything else smells fresh, it smells sweaty.

I bought the 946ml container. It says it does 17 washes, but I have a front load, so I will probably get more than 17. Keep in mind things are more expensive where I live, but I'm pretty sure I paid around $9.00. Yes, it is expensive, but I think it's totally worth the price, my stuff smells soooooo good. I had a couple of shirts that smelled even freshly laundered and now they don't smell of sweat at all. :D

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:50 am

I was just at the Real Canadian Superstore getting some groceries last night and I saw it for $7.99.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 pm

stampie wrote:I was just at the Real Canadian Superstore getting some groceries last night and I saw it for $7.99.

You're right, I bought another bottle last night and purposely looked at the price. $7.99 here too, which is amazing as being in Northern Alberta things are usually more expensive.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

+1 on the President's Choice eucalyptus stuff. I wasn't sure I would like my clothes smelling like a cough drop, but turns out that, once the clothes are dry (I air-dry my running clothes), they just smell fresh.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

I bought a bottle myself to try out. It works great on my running gear and the biggest test of all... I tried it with my daughter's cloth diapers; it worked great and helped clear the smell away.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 am

we picked up the PC stuff this week at No Frills ($7.99 for the bottle I think). Hoping it will work as well as the No Sweat. The price isn't that different, but it is easier to get my hands on the PC stuff...
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Slight high-jack. Is this something that can be used on wetsuits or is there some other product I should use to clean it?

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am

HCcD wrote:Doesn't everyone just jump in the shower after their workouts, with their clothes on ?? :shifty: :wink:

I've been using Woolite, exclusively for all my running / tech clothes ... Got a case load or two of the individual packs when they were given away as demo products .. :shifty: :wink:

Ummm ... I got a case of that as well ... :shifty: shhhhh don't tell anyone!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am

seuss wrote:
jgore wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
La wrote:

:shock:

JIM! That wasn't for real! You know that wasn't for real right?! Just like my "bulk" wasn't for real (I hope- lol)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:Slight high-jack. Is this something that can be used on wetsuits or is there some other product I should use to clean it?

A asked a friend, and she washes hers with a "neoprene shampoo". Apparently the amount needed varies from manu to manu - so it might be best to double check for your specific suit.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:03 am

I just went grocery shopping and notice the PC Max Sport laundry soap on sale for $4.99 (regularly $7.99). It looks like it went on sale July 8th and will likely go for a week. I have a front load washer and I can get about 34+ loads from one bottle.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “Gearing Up”