Advice on hydration packs/camelbacks

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
irun4me
Tom Longboat

Advice on hydration packs/camelbacks

Postby irun4me » Mon May 30, 2011 12:02 pm

I was thinking about trying out one this year (sometimes my fuel belt frustrates me). Is there a specific brand I should look into? Is it personal preference or all about the mouthpiece?
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Advice on hydration packs/camelbacks

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm

The mouthpiece is less important than overall comfort.

I looooooooove my Nathan hydration pack and can't say enough good things about it. If you try on other brands and then try on the Nathan, you'll know why. It's about 1000 times more comfortable than any other pack. Light, breathable, cushy, perfect. Plus they have pockets on the FRONT, which no other pack does (that I've found, anyway). This means you don't have to take off your pack every time you need gels or whatever.

My only beef is that they've changed the bladders since I bought mine 2 years ago. I had to get a replacement bladder this year and it's terrible... still looking for an alternative (but most generic bladders don't fit nathan packs).

http://www.nathansports.com/our-product ... race-vests
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon May 30, 2011 12:59 pm

look for a gender specific one - if you have boobs, some aren't made right for you.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Make sure you go and try them on to find one for you. I second the Nathan one, but it's a highly individualized choice depending on body type/torso length, etc.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 30, 2011 5:13 pm

I have the nathan pack with a camel-bak bladder. I love this combo. The camel-bak bladder is tons better than the nathan bladder.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 30, 2011 5:34 pm

seuss wrote:look for a gender specific one - if you have boobs, some aren't made right for you.

the cross strap on the nathan packs is adjustable up/down so you can adjust it to your chest's needs. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Mon May 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you everyone. Looks like I'm going shoppin' :D
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:57 am

I have one of the older Camelbaks I purchased about 15 years ago. I just bought a new Camelbak while travelling through Quebec at Sports Experts in Quebec City. I do wish it had a pocket in the front though.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Country_Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Country_Girl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Nathan has come out with a women's one but I haven't been able to find it in Canada. Camel has one that has storage in the front, stores 3L and is super light (Octane XCT) that I'm considering as well...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Country_Girl wrote:Nathan has come out with a women's one but I haven't been able to find it in Canada. Camel has one that has storage in the front, stores 3L and is super light (Octane XCT) that I'm considering as well...

two years ago I saw the women's one at Camper's Village in Edmonton, so they *were* available in Canada. They are essentially the same as the men's, but I think are slightly shorter to accommodate a woman's shorter torso.

Country_Girl
Johnny Miles

Postby Country_Girl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Hmm, maybe I'll have to peer around online ~ maybe I can order it from a Canadian company via the web? (I've found it online in the US but the shipping rates are crazy....).

Country

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 am

Question for anyone who's replaced their Nathan bladder with a Camelbak one..... what size Camelbak bladder did you get, and where/how much? I did a search on MEC and they don't list Camelbak branded bladders, just Platypus and some other brand ones. *confused*

My stewpid bite valve has been drip leaking for weeks now, thanks probably to it being stretched out by my tube freezing up in the winter. Anyways, I've mail ordered replacement tubing/valve from the US, but thanks to the Canada Post strike :evil: I don't have my stuff yet. It's been almost a month, and I think I've kinda given up on ever getting it. :roll: But I *am* getting awfully tired of my bite valve dripping all over my shoes.

Oh, and I have a Nathan's women's specific pack, the Intensity.

CountryGirl - I got my Nathan's Intensity at RunningFree.com, it's a store based in Toronto. They often have sales, so keep an eye on them.....I got my pack for 20% off of $109.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:30 am

PL, I'm at work and bladders are at home. I don't have the same nathan as you. I think the camel bak 70 is what I got. Anyway, it is so much better than the nathan bladder.

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:48 am

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:PL, I'm at work and bladders are at home. I don't have the same nathan as you. I think the camel bak 70 is what I got. Anyway, it is so much better than the nathan bladder.

Thanks, HP!

Grrr, still having no luck finding Camelbak bladders on MEC or RR online. Don't want to mail order until CP is actually delivering stuff. :roll: So I'm stuck finding a local store.

So far, only found it here: http://www.atmosphere.ca/atmosphere/cat ... 4&pid=6332

But OMG the price !!!!!!! :shock: That's insane, and it's not even the big one!!!! For that price I'll just keep putting up with duct tape on my tubing.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 am

PinkLady wrote:
HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:PL, I'm at work and bladders are at home. I don't have the same nathan as you. I think the camel bak 70 is what I got. Anyway, it is so much better than the nathan bladder.

Thanks, HP!

Grrr, still having no luck finding Camelbak bladders on MEC or RR online. Don't want to mail order until CP is actually delivering stuff. :roll: So I'm stuck finding a local store.

So far, only found it here: http://www.atmosphere.ca/atmosphere/cat ... 4&pid=6332

But OMG the price !!!!!!! :shock: That's insane, and it's not even the big one!!!! For that price I'll just keep putting up with duct tape on my tubing.

Bushtukah is a bit cheaper (but still not cheap): http://bushtukah.com/product/camelbak-u ... 5289-1.htm
Do the 'normal bladders work? if so, again a bit cheaper: http://bushtukah.com/product/camelbak-o ... 3328-1.htm

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 am

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I think as far as comfort is concerned the Nathan series are the best, but their bladders are not the best. I posted a while ago about bladder replacement and ended up choosing the Hydrapak II. Love the bladder. BUT I bought the 50oz to use in my 1.5litre Nathan and it doesn't fit, BUT it works great in my 2litre pack, and I like having the smaller bladder with the slightly larger pack.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Just bumping this thread up since I'm going hydration pack shopping tonight. Is the verdict still Nathan hydration pack with a Camelbak bladder? I saw Gregory packs on my running-mates last weekend and they really liked them. A quick answer would be appreciated since I'm leaving work in about 30 minutes and I don't have my smartphone today.
Carm

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:42 pm

I've had my Nathan pack for 3.5 years now and just today I was thinking to myself that I still love how it feels. So yes, that's still my vote!

There is a new brand called UltrAspire which has been getting very good reviews as well.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I've had my Nathan pack for 3.5 years now and just today I was thinking to myself that I still love how it feels. So yes, that's still my vote!

There is a new brand called UltrAspire which has been getting very good reviews as well.

Thanks! I'll go try on a few brands tonight. I have other Nathan products and they've been great.
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 pm

carm wrote:Just bumping this thread up since I'm going hydration pack shopping tonight. Is the verdict still Nathan hydration pack with a Camelbak bladder? I saw Gregory packs on my running-mates last weekend and they really liked them. A quick answer would be appreciated since I'm leaving work in about 30 minutes and I don't have my smartphone today.

I have the Gregory, and am really happy with it -- it is the only one I have run with though, but no complaints.... and I have a Platypus bladder in it (2L).... happy shopping!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Return to “Gearing Up”