Bra Chafing

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
dgrant
Lynn Williams

Bra Chafing

Postby dgrant » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 am

Her: You're going to ask a bra question under your name?
Me: Sure. We'll get an answer, and it'll get funny too. They'll tee off on me.

So the question is about persistent chafing in the front (middle, bottom). Tried several different bras, plus body glide/barriere silicone cream. No chafing on back or from straps. What is the solution? Fit is fine.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Re: Bra Chafing

Postby babysteps » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:18 am

If you find out let me know. I have a few that, no matter what I do, will chafe.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:25 am

i get it, too, in the same spot. since it can be so hard to find the "right" running bra, i just suck it up and use liberal amounts of body glide.

i recently read a blog post on this subject, where the author suggested various solutions (body glide being the least effective, duct tape being the most effective). duct tape had never occurred to me, but if the chafing is really painful, it might be worth a shot!

http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2011 ... ttoos.html

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:27 am

Is she sure the fit is fine? I would think that if it fits correctly, it shouldn't chafe. I've only had this problem a few times - one was a bra that didn't fit properly / wasn't adjusted tight enough, and the other was in tris when my bra got wet. Body glide usually helps.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:30 am

Which bra brands has she tried? I have had amazing luck with the Under Armour ones. Never had a mark on me, I am not sure how to explain the band but it is smooth and uses a funky flat material with little holes in it and there is minimal stitching on the band. (They are made for the less busty types. :wink: )

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:40 am

I don't have this issue, but what about medical/physio tape in place of the duct tape? I've used my Leukotape (the beige really sticky stuff that physios use for injuries to tape up ankles, etc) and also the white 'under' tape in places like the small of my back and on my feet that chafed/blistered when Bodyglide didn't cut it. The stuff will stay on and mold to your body and move, and is just as sticky as duct tape without the risk of a skin reaction.

To address the cause, though, she might have better luck with bras that have a velour/velvety texture to the part of the band under the bust that touch the skin. I can see how just regular elastic could cause issues even if the fit was good. Unfortunately, it tends to be the more expensive brands (Sugoi, etc) that have the nicer soft coating on the elastic.
Last edited by PinkLady on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:46 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Is she sure the fit is fine? I would think that if it fits correctly, it shouldn't chafe.

Lululemon deep V and tatatamer II. I just mentioned these responses and she said "well, I don't have it on the tightest setting..." so maybe that's it! :idea:

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 am

I only chafed from my hrm strap in the front from the plastic bit but never from bra. Body glide has since fixed that. Definitely consider fit but body glide all along the elastic would help too.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:21 pm

For me, I have this problem later in the run as I get tired and my posture has started to get bad (hunched over). Having strong abs and torso and running with good posture can help prevent it. It happens with all my bras, no matter how well they fit.

I prefer zinc oxide (aka, diaper rash) cream to any other type of anti-chafe lube. It also works well to soothe the chafing if it does happen.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I learned yesterday at an official bra fitting that we are supposed to wear our bras on the tightest setting. Also 70% of women wear the wrong sized bra.

I've just found out that I've been wearing bras that are wayyyy too big. When the bra is done up, one should be able to pull the back outward from the back no more than two inches...if it is more than two inches the bra is too big.

We make an effort to get fitted for proper running shoes but we don't do the same for bras. We have to treat our "girls" better than that.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm

CAW wrote:I learned yesterday at an official bra fitting that we are supposed to wear our bras on the tightest setting

really? i always thought the logic was that you buy it to fit the loosest setting, so that as it gets worn and the band 'stretches', you can start to wear it on the tighter settings.

(all that is moot for me though because i've never been able to find a band that fits tightly, even on the tightest setting. i seem to have a freakishly small ribcage :? it's the only freakishly small thing on me! :lol:)

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:22 pm

deerdree wrote:
CAW wrote:I learned yesterday at an official bra fitting that we are supposed to wear our bras on the tightest setting

really? i always thought the logic was that you buy it to fit the loosest setting, so that as it gets worn and the band 'stretches', you can start to wear it on the tighter settings.

(all that is moot for me though because i've never been able to find a band that fits tightly, even on the tightest setting. i seem to have a freakishly small ribcage :? it's the only freakishly small thing on me! :lol:)

that's what I mean...the tightest you can comfortably have it.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Tata Tamer chafes me on the top on long runs. Body glide helps a bit.

I don't think there has nearly been enough chiding for Dave posting this question, so my answer for you is that if you're concerned with chafing when you're wearing your sports bras, Dave, then maybe you need to construct a new "bro" that will not chafe you.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Also, Dave, your bra will chafe less if you're wearing matching manties.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 pm

RA. wrote:Tata Tamer chafes me on the top on long runs. Body glide helps a bit.

I don't think there has nearly been enough chiding for Dave posting this question, so my answer for you is that if you're concerned with chafing when you're wearing your sports bras, Dave, then maybe you need to construct a new "bro" that will not chafe you.

It's a Manziere! You know how hard it is to find a 46A?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:42 pm

RA. wrote:I don't think there has nearly been enough chiding for Dave posting this question, so my answer for you is that if you're concerned with chafing when you're wearing your sports bras, Dave, then maybe you need to construct a new "bro" that will not chafe you.

I think because only women have posted in this thread. Where are the guys?? DT, Turd, Doonst, Robbie-T...

I was actually going to say: So, Dave's dating a girl who wears the Ta-Ta Tamer. Lucky guy! ;)

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:58 pm

When I was watching Battle of the Blades last weekend, they were showing a garment called "manties", which is a shirt with built-in underwear (briefs). This is worn so that the male skaters' shirts don't come untucked from their pants during the routine.

:lol:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Hehehehe... I was thinking of this EXACT picture DT! Love it!! :lol:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:03 pm

I get chafing when I'm too fat, then I take pictures cause it is kinda funny. THe chafing not my fatness.
The best photos are when I stuff many gels down there. Tell your wife not to do that cause then the chafting is really bad.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 am

La wrote:
RA. wrote:I don't think there has nearly been enough chiding for Dave posting this question, so my answer for you is that if you're concerned with chafing when you're wearing your sports bras, Dave, then maybe you need to construct a new "bro" that will not chafe you.

I think because only women have posted in this thread. Where are the guys?? DT, Turd, Doonst, Robbie-T...

I was actually going to say: So, Dave's dating a girl who wears the Ta-Ta Tamer. Lucky guy! ;)

Sorry Dave, I'm no help to you for prevention, but for replacement or treatment :-c

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:14 am

I get the same thing, and have been known to use with bodyglide or a bit of tape.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:21 pm

i just use body glide.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:42 pm

CAW wrote:I learned yesterday at an official bra fitting that we are supposed to wear our bras on the tightest setting. Also 70% of women wear the wrong sized bra.

I've just found out that I've been wearing bras that are wayyyy too big. When the bra is done up, one should be able to pull the back outward from the back no more than two inches...if it is more than two inches the bra is too big.

We make an effort to get fitted for proper running shoes but we don't do the same for bras. We have to treat our "girls" better than that.

This. She should be able to fit no more than one finger under the band at the front (directly below the breast, not in the middle where she's chafing) and one at the back at the same time. The band should almost be uncomfortably tight when she's sitting down - definitely tighter than an "everyday" bra feels.

Now for you, Dave, can't you just go with a pair of sparkly pasties?

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I would say the bra isn't fitting properly if she is getting chafing.

I hope she invests in a good bra! :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Return to “Gearing Up”