Vibram Five Fingers in the Winter

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Bebette
Bill Crothers

Vibram Five Fingers in the Winter

Postby Bebette » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 am

I bought some Vibram Five Fingers KSO last summer for walking around and cross training. I really love them, but they are not made to use in the winter. They are made of a thin mesh fabric, and the sole has no grooves to walk in snow.

Has anyone tried using VFF (any model) in the winter? What model would you recommend?
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Re: Vibram Five Fingers in the Winter

Postby gnu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:52 am

I haven't tried them, but the Flow is promoted as a colder weather model.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 am

Yes. Up to -20C (with KSO's)(Running, not walking). Packed snow, like the sideroads and pathways. Once you get moving your feet stay fairly warm - even without socks. I find running on dew/frost covered grass 100 times worse. So long as your feet stay dry. Only done about 20min though, but they work (and can leave some fun prints in the light snow).
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:19 am

How about these?

If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 am

I actually have a pair of the VFF Surge (don't make them any more). Add some toe socks and it's time to play

Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am

A good friend of mine who runs either barefoot or in VFFs from spring-->fall uses these in the winter. I've been running minimalist for the last couple of years now and I just picked up a pair and intend to use them this winter.
I haven't tried them yet I like the fact that I will be able to put on a pair of merino wool socks in them to up the insulation value.
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 am

Strider wrote:I actually have a pair of the VFF Surge (don't make them any more). Add some toe socks and it's time to play

Seriously, these look cool. But since the idea is to have a minimalist shoe, they would defeat the purpose.

Strider, I took a walk with the KSO when it was 7-8C outside. it was OK, but borderline comfortable, especially when waiting for transit. I wish the surge would still exit, because it covers the ankle and is not made of leather (which gets destroyed by salt).

Gnu/NFL, I will look into these options.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Are you dead-on stuck on VFF Bebette? Or, just a minimalist shoe? As, there are quite a number of Minimalist Trail-type options now available on the market .....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:40 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:A good friend of mine who runs either barefoot or in VFFs from spring-->fall uses these in the winter.

Those look like they're worth a try. I'm currently using the Saucony Hattories, but they're not suitable for winter running.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 pm

jgore wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:A good friend of mine who runs either barefoot or in VFFs from spring-->fall uses these in the winter.

Those look like they're worth a try. I'm currently using the Saucony Hattories, but they're not suitable for winter running.

Merrell has a nice line of minimalist shoes and have partnered up with Vibrams for the outter sole ... Also, checkout the following link for reviews of the many different offerings ...

http://birthdayshoes.com/merrell:

eta: How about the VFF Borimos ?? http://birthdayshoes.com/bormio-vibram-fivefingers-review

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:33 am

At the end, I bought these from MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/ ... womens.jsp
and
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/ ... unisex.jsp

The sole has some grip and is thicker than the KSO. Also the material is thicker. Since I don't plan to use them when it is -20C or when the sidewalks are full of slush, I should be OK. I let you know how the experiment goes.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 am

I run in the bikilas and have used them to about -10 with injinji nuwool socks in them. That was about as cold as I could go though for running. I have heard several BF runners say your feet change and the cold does not bother you any more but I am not convinced. I just started in VFF's last November (walking) / December (running) so maybe I will see a change this year. I do have a pair of the flows now and have been wearing them in the few 0 or lower temps we've had this fall. They are warmer then the bikila's for sure. I have the NB minimus trail which I wore in the coldest days last winter with socks and they are warmer. For me, though, there is something about having the toes free. I tend to toe in (pigeon toe) with one leg/foot except in VFF's or true barefoot. So I can only go shorter distances in the minimal shoes. The saucony hattori as an 'all weather' version I'd like to see / try but so far I have not found it in Canada despite the company telling me it was released on Nov. 1. They even gave me names of the stores in Ottawa that had it and when I went they both looked at me and said 'don't have it, not sure if we are getting it ..."

VFF's on mild winter days on packed snow are great though! Love the footprints they leave!

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 pm

The biggest problem with the VFF in the winter is the grip. I tried it a few times in '09 when I first got mine (KSO) but they really really really suck on ice/slush.

Other posters are right in that your feet warm up quick, but slipping around is another story.

Since last year I run winter in the Saucony Razors - total water protection - so awesome

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:04 pm

fingerboy wrote:The biggest problem with the VFF in the winter is the grip. I tried it a few times in '09 when I first got mine (KSO) but they really really really suck on ice/slush.

Other posters are right in that your feet warm up quick, but slipping around is another story.

Totally agree and want to add snow-packed trails even get too slippery with the grips of the VFFs. You have absolutely no bite to grab trails with VFFs. I left them alone after the snow fell and picked them back up in April this past year.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Return to “Gearing Up”