Do you carry 'protection'?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Does anyone carry protection while running?

I just ordered a small knife and pepper spray to carry while running. A couple of weird things have happened, and being that I run so rural, Scott (my husband) insists I have something with me.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 pm

I always run in busy areas so no, I don't carry anything.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Do you carry 'protection'?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 pm

nope, have never carried anything. it has been rare that I have felt uncomfortable in an area... but then I just get out of there. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm

I bring my dog, cell and ID if I am running on the rural trails out here. I worry about the bears and, cougars out here and not too much about the people.
IMC 2015

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I have only felt uncomfortable ACTUALLY running, (a man pulled over while running, and asked me to yoga, and then flexed and said 'see I work out too') :roll: he was older that was nearly 3 yrs ago, but I had a man come up in the grocery store on Sunday, and I am 99.9% sure it was him again. Asked me if I was that girl that runs all the time.
I said 'I am a girl, not sure if I am THAT girl' . He was trying to make conversation, and for the most part, I hope just socially awkward then dangerous, but you just never know.

I do always let someone know my routes I am taking that day, I only wear earphones in one ear, and being a 'small farm community' I know most people and would feel safe if I needed to run into one of their homes b/c of a stranger. etc etc, but after Sunday, I think probally not enough.

And YES the bear / dog thing terrifies me too! :lol: AND cows...... I had something black come out on the road a few wks ago,and I stopped dead thinking OMG it's a bear cub! :shock: :shock:
NOPE baby cow!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:05 pm

The only time I have carried anything was when I was up in Alert, since we had a resident wolf pack. Usually, I would carry a two way radio (thank goodness for tri jackets!).

If I was walking, as 'wolf stick' was added (I usually wandered a little farther when I went for walks, running was just laps of the Station).

Now that I am home, I tend to run in well lit/populated areas. If I am going for a long run, I will take my cell phone as if something happens, I would be farther from home.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 pm

I don't - I just carry ID on my shoe. I think that I would be more likely to injure myself than an attacker.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Pamela- I think you're just way cuter than I am. :)

I did have one creepy guy start running with me once, but I don't think pepper spray or a knife would have helped. :) As soon as I told him I was on my way home to my husband he ran off. Of course single girls use that line too. This was on a very popular path and there were lots of people around.

I almost alway run with my cell phone now, just cuz I got used to it for when my kids were home alone. Also I use it for podcasts now, etc. It makes other people feel better but I don't really think about it as a safety thing.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Jwolf wrote:
I did have one creepy guy start running with me once, but I don't think pepper spray or a knife would have helped. :) As soon as I told him I was on my way home to my husband he ran off.

How many times do I have to apologize for that?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:28 pm

If I am running alone I always have my cell phone and will always tell someone my route AND when I expect to be back. When I lived alone, I would always text someone my route when I was leaving and what time I'd expect to be back. I'd then follow up with a "I'm home" text. Cell phone, ID, a bit of cash, asthma medication... That's what I ensure I bring.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
I did have one creepy guy start running with me once, but I don't think pepper spray or a knife would have helped. :) As soon as I told him I was on my way home to my husband he ran off.

LOL- not you! That time I think I started following YOU. ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:30 pm

wow, the only time anyone knows when/where I'm running is when I'm running with people (and then I don't need to tell them! :lol: ). Otherwise, I just go out... I can't imagine telling someone every time I go for a run!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

No but I have to admit I often think about it. I get a lot of my runs in early morning (5am) in downtown Ottawa. I try to stay in populated areas, but running up and down Bank Street gets pretty boring. I've been mugged in the past (not here), and I always have that worry when I'm out alone.

I have a road ID on my shoe and my cell phone.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:35 pm

ultraslacker wrote:wow, the only time anyone knows when/where I'm running is when I'm running with people (and then I don't need to tell them! :lol: ). Otherwise, I just go out... I can't imagine telling someone every time I go for a run!

Me too...

Well, I tell my family if we're making plans for when I come back. :) But I rarely tell anyone my route.

If I had to tell someone every time I went out for a run, I would never run during the daytime.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

:lol:

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Jwolf wrote:Pamela- I think you're just way cuter than I am. :)

I did have one creepy guy start running with me once, but I don't think pepper spray or a knife would have helped. :) As soon as I told him I was on my way home to my husband he ran off. Of course single girls use that line too. This was on a very popular path and there were lots of people around.

I almost alway run with my cell phone now, just cuz I got used to it for when my kids were home alone. Also I use it for podcasts now, etc. It makes other people feel better but I don't really think about it as a safety thing.

my phone is HUGE, (the samsung note thingie) I should borrow my mom's I guess, it's a little flip phone.

Ya in the store, and he's like 'so you had a girl eh?" (I had the baby with me) and he said 'you gained a bit of weight for a bit"
I was snarky and said "umm I was pregnant...."

I mean, really if he approaches me every 3 yrs, then no biggie, but "shudder" it's weird!

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:wow, the only time anyone knows when/where I'm running is when I'm running with people (and then I don't need to tell them! :lol: ). Otherwise, I just go out... I can't imagine telling someone every time I go for a run!

Me too...

Well, I tell my family if we're making plans for when I come back. :) But I rarely tell anyone my route.

If I had to tell someone every time I went out for a run, I would never run during the daytime.

LOL Well mainly my mom watches my kids, so I think we started with the routes b/c if anything happened and she needed to find me. But I get that it would be aggravating.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 pm

I guess it's not really my "route"... more "I'm going for a run alone on the canal. I'll be back in about XX minutes."

ETA: When I was in Edmonton I went for a run alone. As I was getting ready to leave I got a text from roommate A (in Ottawa) saying "i'm going for a run by the river. Text you in 30 minutes or so." and replied "i'm going for a run somewhere in edmonton. Text you when i'm back. No idea how long I'll be since I don't know where I'm going' :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm

fit-kitty wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

There's actually a story here. :) One time I was running along the seawall and saw a tall handsome ... I mean, tall guy that I had never met before, but vaguely recognized... he was wearing a Runningmania shirt, and after he went by I yelled, "Mike Runs!" (That used to be his screen name before "Turd Ferguson", and at the time I didn't know his last name.) He turned around to run a bit with me (or maybe I turned around to run with him), we chatted, and then he went off to finish his run. This was several years ago... and the first time we had met in person.

Sometime later I described the above story about the creepy guy who turned around to start running with me on the path. And Mike said, "That sounds a lot like what I did when we first met on the seawall that day ..." But it wasn't. Really. I am NOT easily creeped-- in fact, I'm usually overly trusting. This was creepy.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

nahhhh
I just can't be bothered.

I just kinda think most people are good and just want to be friendly.

Of course I also believe in God and his plan so that kinda makes me just go with the flow.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I like to take my iPhone with me in case I need to take photos of something interesting or in case I am trying to find my way back to a main road :P I also take ID on longer runs (the number of times I've replaced a license, only to find it in my other pair of running pants...), but nothing more protective than that, and I rarely tell people my route.

The only time I really felt the need to be spacially aware was doing my LSD runs around Petawawa after finding out someone had been assaulting women. Turns out it was someone my boyfriend knew, and by then Ragnar was healed up enough from surgery to come running with me. I could probably afford to be a bit more prepared.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Jwolf wrote:
fit-kitty wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

There's actually a story here. :) One time I was running along the seawall and saw a tall handsome ... I mean, tall guy that I had never met before, but vaguely recognized... he was wearing a Runningmania shirt, and after he went by I yelled, "Mike Runs!" (That used to be his screen name before "Turd Ferguson", and at the time I didn't know his last name.) He turned around to run a bit with me (or maybe I turned around to run with him), we chatted, and then he went off to finish his run. This was several years ago... and the first time we had met in person.

Sometime later I described the above story about the creepy guy who turned around to start running with me on the path. And Mike said, "That sounds a lot like what I did when we first met on the seawall that day ..." But it wasn't. Really. I am NOT easily creeped-- in fact, I'm usually overly trusting. This was creepy.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:01 pm

in the summer I often don't even carry ID because my cute summer running clothes often don't have pockets for phone or ID. :lol: :oops:

maybe I am too casual about stuff like that... but I figure if something is going to happen to me it's more likely in other settings (like walking home alone at night, or at my crazy job). The worst situations I've been in were at work, so... I don't worry too much in the daytime, in the community.

With that said, if I'm doing a long trail run I take my phone and ID, and often my dog. But I still don't tell anyone when/where I'm going. The phone is more in case I hurt myself in the middle of nowhere... and the dog is to ward off wildlife.

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

*looks at left fist*, *looks at right fist*

I think I'm good... :D

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:08 pm

phorunner wrote:*looks at left fist*, *looks at right fist*

I think I'm good... :D

Yeah, I think you're ok. :)

I think I'd like to run with YOU as protection. ;)

Return to “Gearing Up”