Do you carry 'protection'?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Re: Do you carry 'protection'?

Postby ChrisL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Not when I run, but I carry protection at work
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm

turd ferguson wrote:You guys have your health # and contact information on your RoadID's? KEENERS!

All mine says is "please pause my Garmin".

People actually buy RoadID's? I haven't seen anyone around here with one.

My fuelbelt has a pocket for my license (photoid) and a bit of cash for a drink or something. I can usually cram my iPhone in there too.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Equinox
Tom Longboat

Postby Equinox » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 pm

fit-kitty wrote:Does anyone carry protection while running?

I just ordered a small knife and pepper spray to carry while running. A couple of weird things have happened, and being that I run so rural, Scott (my husband) insists I have something with me.

Just be careful....peper spray from the states would be illegal in Canada unless you are talking about bear repellent.....

:)
National Capital 10k, Army run half marathon
Winterman marathon relay, ING Ottawa 10k, Quebec City Marathon 10k, 9 run run Half
Warriordash, 9 run run 10 k,
Physio Run Ottawa, Spartan Race Ottawa, Bushtaka race, Army Run, 9 run run

Spartan Race- June
Army run- September
9 run run -October

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 pm

UltraSpirit wrote:fit-kitty, unless you are trained to use that knife it is far more likely it will be taken from you and used on you. I learned this in a self defense course.

2 decades or more ago, Runner's World had an article for females. I can't remember it all but #1 was lose the ear phones and #2 run away kick bite scratch even if they have a gun. Just make sure they don't get you in the car. In a women's self defense course, they teach you effective kicking/biting/scratching.

I used to carry pepper spray for dogs; and it worked with the ones I was dealing with. But some dogs just get mad.

I'm totally NOT trained to use it! It was more to quiet Scott up. :roll:
Thankfully like pho-runner, I too, have my left and right. :lol: And if I remember from high school, a pretty dirty fighter :oops:

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Equinox wrote:

I just ordered a small knife and pepper spray to carry while running. A couple of weird things have happened, and being that I run so rural, Scott (my husband) insists I have something with me.

Just be careful....peper spray from the states would be illegal in Canada unless you are talking about bear repellent.....

This guy was from out west Canada, yes, it's dog repellent :) (thx)

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I always wonder about this. I typically run along the river (both Gatineau and Ottawa sides), Lac Leamy, and Gatineau Park and there are some pretty isolated areas with thick wooded cover. Often, girls on their own will run past me in the opposite direction and I think, "wow, she's brave".

Indeed, a girl was attacked near Lac Leamy last week by a man with a rope, luckily she was able to escape.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I always carry a cel phone (bought the smallest, lightest pay-as-you-go flip phone just for the job). I'm with La - nothing that could be used against me. Best advice I ever got was to look everyone you pass in the eye and say good morning (or afternoon, or whatever). Miost people will just think you're being friendly. Borderline creeps will realize you've looked at them, can recognize them in a line up, and are confident enough to stare them down. True crazy nutbars won't be deterred even if you've got a Bowie knife on your belt and a siberian tiger on a leash for protection - be aware and run like **** is the only way to deal with them.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Road ID girl here.

The owner at the store actually got me a gift card for a new one as my old one was out of date.

Name
Parent's phone #
OHIP, Blood Type, No PCN
" Suck it up Princess"

It's the new slimband (about the same size as my Livestrong one... and I wear it all the time (mainly so I don't forget to put it on when I actually do need it)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

tinyterror
Johnny Miles

Postby tinyterror » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I agree about not taking anything that can be used against you. I carry health card, eye drops (my eyes be sensitive), lip balm and if I'm going anywhere semi-isolated or am running very early (recently I started 5 a.m. running) I have a little Ila personal alarm that is supposed to sound like a woman screaming VERY LOUDLY (mom bought it for me). Normally I prefer to stick to pretty well traveled places just so I don't have to worry.

Though just this weekend some jackass pulled over while I was running and tried to pick me up. "Hey baby" is what he said. Seriously now...REALLY???
Whatever doesn't kill you...will still probably hurt like a son of a b*#ch!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:06 pm

phorunner wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:You guys have your health # and contact information on your RoadID's? KEENERS!

My fuelbelt has a pocket for my license (photoid) and a bit of cash for a drink or something. I can usually cram my iPhone in there too.

Yep - I know lots of people with RoadID. I rarely run with my wallet or phone or anything else, and I frequently run in strange cities. It was my wife that pointed out I was running all over Manhattan and Tokyo with no identification at all.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Equinox wrote:

Not only that - cover your face when spraying - some sprays dissipate and get in the air (not just where you're spraying).

The best "weapons" aren't weapons - look around and be aware of your surroundings - Rocks, sticks, all sorts of stuff. Plus, you have plausible deniability and a good self defense argument.

Also, remember these two points:
In muai thai, you're taught to hit with the "outside" of a joint - your knees, elbows, etc - these are among the strongest points in your body to strike
In BJJ, you're taught the softest spots are the "inside" of a joint - behind the knees, elbows, etc - these are the most tender areas

When all else fails, you can always learn from Vladimir; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPrnB-OSBA (all kidding aside, watch the knife portion - if anyone is attacking, it's best to lead them through a narrow hallway - they can't "wind up" to strike)

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Do you carry 'protection'?

Postby marymac442 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 am

I run with my phone, driver's license, credit card and bus fare. I run in populated areas so I'm more concerned about coffee emergencies and being able to hop transit home since 90% of routes are point to point.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:10 am

turd ferguson wrote:
phorunner wrote:

Yep - I know lots of people with RoadID. I rarely run with my wallet or phone or anything else, and I frequently run in strange cities. It was my wife that pointed out I was running all over Manhattan and Tokyo with no identification at all.

I have one but haven't worn it in ages.

It has the RM logo on it too, cuz Road ID is cool that way. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 am

phorunner wrote:

Mine's on a chain around my neck along with my key, tucked inside my shirt. You wouldn't see it. Doesn't mean it's not there.

Edit: and it has the RM logo. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 am

Hammie wrote:I always carry a cel phone (bought the smallest, lightest pay-as-you-go flip phone just for the job). I'm with La - nothing that could be used against me. Best advice I ever got was to look everyone you pass in the eye and say good morning (or afternoon, or whatever). Miost people will just think you're being friendly. Borderline creeps will realize you've looked at them, can recognize them in a line up, and are confident enough to stare them down. True crazy nutbars won't be deterred even if you've got a Bowie knife on your belt and a siberian tiger on a leash for protection - be aware and run like **** is the only way to deal with them.

+1
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 am

BJH wrote:
Hammie wrote:I always carry a cel phone (bought the smallest, lightest pay-as-you-go flip phone just for the job). I'm with La - nothing that could be used against me. Best advice I ever got was to look everyone you pass in the eye and say good morning (or afternoon, or whatever). Miost people will just think you're being friendly. Borderline creeps will realize you've looked at them, can recognize them in a line up, and are confident enough to stare them down. True crazy nutbars won't be deterred even if you've got a Bowie knife on your belt and a siberian tiger on a leash for protection - be aware and run like **** is the only way to deal with them.

+1

yep...agree with Hammie!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 am

I've been considering getting a Road ID. I found this interesting thread where several professional first responders discuss their usefulness. Key points to take away:

1. Wear the wrist version. Anything on your clothes or equipment could get lost/discarded/missed in a fast transport situation. Necklace version is OK but if they put a C-collar on you it may get missed.
2. Contact info is the most critical.
3. Nobody is going to check a website or anything fancy like that, the smart versions are a waste of money
4. Blood type will be ignored, they will use universal donor and trust their own tests, thankyouverymuch
5. Med details appreciated (NKA, NPHX etc)
6. (US version) Insurance info has no effect on the level of care given.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:39 am

fit-kitty wrote:I had something black come out on the road a few wks ago,and I stopped dead thinking OMG it's a bear cub! :shock: :shock:
NOPE baby cow!

:lol:

I am not good at this stuff. If DH is home when I leave for a run, I tell him my intended route, but in general, I just go. I live in a rural area and run the backroads regularly - I have my RoadID but that's it, which I realize is a rather bad idea - even if something simple happens like a turned ankle, it's a looooong walk back. I would never carry a weapon for reasons mentioned above, but I know I ought to have a cell phone. I have never really felt unsafe but perhaps I am just naive.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

A sad recent story out of Kentucky, and some relevant reading from one of my favourite blogs:

http://anothermotherrunner.com/2012/06/ ... le-female/
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am

Its funny. I was out for a run last night and I was thinking about how irrelevant self-defence is. If anything bad is going to happen to me its either going to be (a) getting hit by a car or (b) having some kind of incapacitating medical event. The chance of getting either attacked by an animal or another person is so vanishingly small compared to the more likely events. I need to protect myself against the real, mundane risks, not the exotic, frightening ones.

Then I read this in the news this morning - one of the busiest stretches of pathway in Calgary, right behind the Glenmore RR.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... nding.html

So I don't know anymore.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Its funny. I was out for a run last night and I was thinking about how irrelevant self-defence is. If anything bad is going to happen to me its either going to be (a) getting hit by a car or (b) having some kind of incapacitating medical event. The chance of getting either attacked by an animal or another person is so vanishingly small compared to the more likely events. I need to protect myself against the real, mundane risks, not the exotic, frightening ones.

Then I read this in the news this morning - one of the busiest stretches of pathway in Calgary, right behind the Glenmore RR.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... nding.html

So I don't know anymore.
As men we are not at anywhere near the risk that women are. Frankly I don't even think about getting attacked unless I'm in some strange city in which case I first make sure of my route. However my sister is very conscious of these risks.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I had a long chat with this friend of mine that is...hmm...expert when it comes to matters like psychology of capture and how to defend and how to best incapacitate/break someone.

An interesting guy.

Anyway, here is his best advice:

1.) The time to fight is at initial capture/attack - even if they have a weapon if you let them take you to a secondary location, you are sunk. The best opportunity for "unplanned" inject (witnesses, passers-by) it at initial struggle

2.) If your spidey-sense is tingling, listen to it. You may be slightly uncomfortable somewhere when the predator has already cased the area and knows exactly where they will take you on. They are already better prepared for attack than you are to defend, but the difference is, you are fighting for your life, so fight for it.

3.) Use your voice. Keep yelling, screaming. Fire is good, even yell out a description or the individual if you want.

4.) If you are untrained with a weapon, leave it. Chances are you will have it taken away. Knives get slippery and spray depends on the wind - you are just as likely to incapacitate yourself. This is not discounting weapons of opportunity. Rocks, sticks whatever - jab don't swing. It takes a lot of energy to swing and miss and you open yourself up to a lot - it's like kicking. If you want to carry something, learn to use it properly.

5.) We are VERY bad at telling someone exactly what we are going to do, don't choreograph, just do. Bite, spit, headbutt - whatever. It's not always about the kick, and let's face it, guys are pretty good at defending that region anyway.

6.) Once you are on the ground, size matters less. It's true. Never stop fighting. Sometimes it's just a matter of the attacker deciding you are just too much trouble.

7.) Make eye contact and always look like you are going somewhere.

8.) If you are staying in a hotel, the single best investment in your own safety? A $3.00 rubber door stop. That security chain and bolt would take one, maybe two good thumps before releasing under the weight of a big guy - even less if he stayed in your room last week and sawed away at it for a while. Those door stoppers will hold for over 30 minutes, giving you time to get the hell out of there.

9.) You are not trying to kill the guy - just get them to let you go so you can get away. I can run faster scared that they can angry. Get them to let you go, then get away.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 pm

I would add to that:

10) Don't buy into the idea that a few hours, or really any amount, of training is going to allow a small woman to defend herself against a large man. Buffy and Nikita are fantasies. Situational awareness is the most important thing. If that fails, use the ancient martial art of nike-do - run.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Even if they have a gun, run. Good chance they'll miss.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm

UltraSpirit wrote:Even if they have a gun, run. Good chance they'll miss.

Or at least be less inclined to use it...
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Return to “Gearing Up”