Bike Racks?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
User avatar
dgrant
Lynn Williams
Posts: 13854
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Down by the river

Bike Racks?

Postby dgrant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Looking for recommendations for a reasonable bike rack. Just for two middling mountain bikes on a Honda Civic.

What's the difference between the roof racks and the ones that sit behind the trunk?

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Bike Racks?

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

You need a trailer hitch for the good ones that go on the back. We have one for our Hyundai Elantra Touring (bit bigger than the Civic) even though it can't tow a trailer. I like that kind better because it doesn't require me to lift the bike onto the top of the car.

ETA: It's like this one but it only fits two bikes. I wanted one for four bikes, but our car can't handle the weight.

Image

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664018
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
carm
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby carm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Long story but I've tried 3 Saris racks on my 2007 Civic - all hitch-mounted. I've tried the T-Bones 3 (now discontinued), the Thelma 3 and now the Thelma 2. They have a life-time warranty with Saris and I highly recommend them. Some friends have the roof-mounted racks but the majority of my triathlete friends have hitch-mounted racks. I'm a big fan of the Thelma since I can get the bikes in the rack in about 5 minutes flat, whereas squeezing 3 adult road bikes onto a T-bar style rack was a bit tricky with pedals, cross-bars and whatnot. Having a hitch-mounted rack that tilts out so you can access the trunk is handy.
Carm

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I've got this one. I didn't feel like investing in a hitch for my car (which will never pull a trailer) just to put a bike rack on. Six points of attachment but goes on or off in about 2 minutes once you figure it out. The only downside is that you lose use of the trunk.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

I didn't want to get a roof rack because I've struggled with roof racks in the past and am frequently riding alone.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Doonst » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Does it come with the girl and the coffee cup? ;) (I know, someone had to say it)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Doonst » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 am

Jwolf wrote:Does it come with the girl and the coffee cup? ;) (I know, someone had to say it)

A simple, "nice rack" would suffice.
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby La » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 am

turd ferguson wrote:I've got this one. I didn't feel like investing in a hitch for my car (which will never pull a trailer) just to put a bike rack on. Six points of attachment but goes on or off in about 2 minutes once you figure it out. The only downside is that you lose use of the trunk.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

I didn't want to get a roof rack because I've struggled with roof racks in the past and am frequently riding alone.

Mine is similar to that, but I think it was only $80. I have a hatch-back, though. I can still access the trunk with the rack on (even with bikes on, if I have a helper). I used to leave mine on all the time, but on my current car it interferes with my rear wiper blade (which turns on automatically when I put my car in reverse while the front wipers are turned on :roll: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
carm
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby carm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 am



Oops, how could I have forgotten that I also owned that one before I went the hitch-mounted route?! The Bones was great and transported 3 bikes to Lake Placid (3 hours, highway and single-lane road) and back, in addition to many in-town trips. However, I was always a little paranoid since I was transporting friends' expensive road bikes. It was a bit too wobbly at high speeds for my liking even though nothing ever came undone or fell off.
Carm

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 am

carm wrote:Long story but I've tried 3 Saris racks on my 2007 Civic - all hitch-mounted. I've tried the T-Bones 3 (now discontinued), the Thelma 3 and now the Thelma 2. They have a life-time warranty with Saris and I highly recommend them. Some friends have the roof-mounted racks but the majority of my triathlete friends have hitch-mounted racks. I'm a big fan of the Thelma since I can get the bikes in the rack in about 5 minutes flat, whereas squeezing 3 adult road bikes onto a T-bar style rack was a bit tricky with pedals, cross-bars and whatnot. Having a hitch-mounted rack that tilts out so you can access the trunk is handy.


Having said that ... apparently, the one's that carm has used, tend to attracts other drivers/cars to rear-end her ... :shock: :? :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:16 am

the roof racks are more permanent - i.e. most people leave them on their car for the season.....and usually much more expensive.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7583
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Orleans, ON

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 am

This post is timely -- I have an SUV, and we have a roof rack, but I find it very difficult to get my bike on the roof rack by myself given the height of the vehicle to begin with. Does anyone know if there is another option (other than hitch), for the back of an SUV. I want it to be sturdy (of course), and easy to operate..... set up and take off.....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

User avatar
carm
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby carm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 am

HCcD wrote:
carm wrote:Long story but I've tried 3 Saris racks on my 2007 Civic - all hitch-mounted. I've tried the T-Bones 3 (now discontinued), the Thelma 3 and now the Thelma 2. They have a life-time warranty with Saris and I highly recommend them. Some friends have the roof-mounted racks but the majority of my triathlete friends have hitch-mounted racks. I'm a big fan of the Thelma since I can get the bikes in the rack in about 5 minutes flat, whereas squeezing 3 adult road bikes onto a T-bar style rack was a bit tricky with pedals, cross-bars and whatnot. Having a hitch-mounted rack that tilts out so you can access the trunk is handy.


Having said that ... apparently, the one's that carm has used, tend to attracts other drivers/cars to rear-end her ... :shock: :? :shifty: :wink:


So that pretty much eliminates most of the Saris line of racks. :lol:
Carm

User avatar
carm
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby carm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:This post is timely -- I have an SUV, and we have a roof rack, but I find it very difficult to get my bike on the roof rack by myself given the height of the vehicle to begin with. Does anyone know if there is another option (other than hitch), for the back of an SUV. I want it to be sturdy (of course), and easy to operate..... set up and take off.....


I've seen one that attaches to the spare tire but I can't recall if your SUV has one or not. Hitch-mounted ones are pretty popular.
Carm

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

I bought one of these, requires a hitch, however ... convenient to install and place the bike(s) on .. but, after about one-half season or so, it appears to be wearing down and become wobbly, as result, as there are a lot of small parts to allow for folding up the rails when not in use ...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleRacksCarriers/BikeRacks/PRDOVR~0401110P/SportRack+2+Bike+Tilting+Platform+Hitch+Rack.jsp?locale=en
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31317
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am

Irongirl wrote:the roof racks are more permanent - i.e. most people leave them on their car for the season.....and usually much more expensive.


We had a roof rack. Forgot the bike was on it, drove into the garage. Wrecked the bike, bent the rack, damaged the car and damaged the garage door. Yup, it was an expensive roof rack. :roll:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Irongirl wrote:the roof racks are more permanent - i.e. most people leave them on their car for the season.....and usually much more expensive.


We had a roof rack. Forgot the bike was on it, drove into the garage. Wrecked the bike, bent the rack, damaged the car and damaged the garage door. Yup, it was an expensive roof rack. :roll:


we always take our garage remote off of the sunshade when bikes are on the roof.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:This post is timely -- I have an SUV, and we have a roof rack, but I find it very difficult to get my bike on the roof rack by myself given the height of the vehicle to begin with. Does anyone know if there is another option (other than hitch), for the back of an SUV. I want it to be sturdy (of course), and easy to operate..... set up and take off.....


I had one similar to this one when I had the Jeep with the spare tire. Obviously it only works if you have a rear-mount spare tire and no cover for it.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/C ... -plate.jsp
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7583
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Orleans, ON

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:01 pm

There is no rear-mount spare tire on the SUV -- It is a KIA Sportage.
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

User avatar
FishPants
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17095
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Penticton, BC
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby FishPants » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:This post is timely -- I have an SUV, and we have a roof rack, but I find it very difficult to get my bike on the roof rack by myself given the height of the vehicle to begin with. Does anyone know if there is another option (other than hitch), for the back of an SUV. I want it to be sturdy (of course), and easy to operate..... set up and take off.....


I don't know about the Sportage, but we used to have a Chevy Blazer with no hitch, but we did have a bumper-ball. So not exactly a hitch, but just a hole in the bumper that you could thread a tow-ball to. It was no good for hauling anything (except VERY lightweight things), but we were able to mount a bike rack on it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

The picture shows it on a hitch, but it can be mounted just on a tow-ball.

Now that we have the Durango, we just mount it on the hitch. When we are pulling the trailer, I pop my bike inside, but we may eventually get another hitch (the back of the trailer has a receiver) and mount the rack back there.

User avatar
Sandra
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Tottenham, Ontario

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Sandra » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:28 am

turd ferguson wrote: Six points of attachment but goes on or off in about 2 minutes once you figure it out. The only downside is that you lose use of the trunk.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en


I have this one too. Got a lot of use out of it last summer with no major issues. Ditto on being able to lose the use of the trunk (I have a hatch back type but can access the trunk by the back seat). The only issue I have with this rack is when putting on two bikes, depending on the styles of bikes, sometimes it takes a bit of manoevring (sp?) to get two bikes on. Other than that, its a good rack.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

User avatar
MINITEE
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19439
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: London, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby MINITEE » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Another for the Saris Bones. Fantastic "rack" (snicker, snicker). I got rear-ended with my mountain bike on that rack, the rack took the brunt of the accident (lower speed) and while one of the legs on the rack snapped, the only thing damaged on my bike was the wheel, and my car had a dent from the front shock/fork and some imprints of the spokes of the wheel on my bumper.

I got a replacement immediately, love it. I can easily transport 3 road/tri bikes as the bikes go in opposite directions. The rack easily goes on my hatchback, and I have also put it on a car with a trunk.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5044
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 am
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Doonst wrote:I am a very happy Saris Bones 3 user, fits on the trunk. Not a roof or hitch mount. Fits on just about anything, sedan to wagon.


I have this one too, (but it's for 2 bikes), and I mount it on my 2001 Volkswagen Beetle. Found mine used on Kijiji.

User avatar
Doonst
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 10598
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: the corner of Sixth and Where Do I Go?
Contact:

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby Doonst » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
Doonst wrote:I am a very happy Saris Bones 3 user, fits on the trunk. Not a roof or hitch mount. Fits on just about anything, sedan to wagon.


I have this one too, (but it's for 2 bikes), and I mount it on my 2001 Volkswagen Beetle. Found mine used on Kijiji.

The Saris Bones 2!
next up:


This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day


Return to “Gearing Up”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest