Hoka One One

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Hoka One One

Postby ngcaper » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 am

I noted a number of runners with these on at SS. I queried 2 on the trail per their experiences and they both stated excellent...they look like clown shoes to me. I'm now very curious about Hoka's. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and what their experiences are.

What I see are Pros: I'll finally be 6' tall and perhaps be able to dunk a basketball, I'll have more cushion on my feet than my bed, I'll be unique. Con: I'll bump my head into things I normally wouldn't have, I may lose my feet in the cushion, and I'll be unique in a short bus sort of way...also they cost a mortgage payment.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Hoka One One

Postby Irongirl » Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 am

interesting.....seems counter to the minimalist trend/research.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 am

Ron -- you had time to notice what people were wearing!! The only fashion statement I saw was the runner wearing flannel pj's during the night run! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed May 29, 2013 10:14 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Ron -- you had time to notice what people were wearing!! The only fashion statement I saw was the runner wearing flannel pj's during the night run! :D

Hahaha...I couldn't help but notice these massive shoes. I wish I'd seen the flannel PJ's that's awesome. I guess they don't have concerns with chafing?

Remember you also started at 6am...I was only waking up at 6am.

@IronGirl...understood, but personally I'm not a convert/believer to the minimalist trend. The research I've read all leads back to someone about to gain from the outcomes, but that goes both ways for typical and minimalist I guess. For 5-10ks sure...beyond that not a chance. It seems a personal requirement and not a one size fits all approach. You have to admit though they do look fun or is it funny :)

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 am

I think they look ridiculous. But I do know a few local trail runners who wear them and say they are great. :/ Personally, I like to have a little material as possible between my feet and the earth. (Love my Trail Minimus!)

eta: much of the reward of trail running for me is feeling the earth under my feet...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 am

There is no denying it; they are an odd looking pair of shoes that is for sure. I know of five people that run with them (plus another person who a rep for them) and they all love the cushioning in them. Granted that four of the five are friends with the rep (they paid for their pair) and one is unrelated to the rep, they all love them for training. As for price, I don’t find the price to be off from what my shoes retail for (Brook Glycerin’s $169). I contemplated getting a pair for training since the rep I know could get me a pair at her cost, which is much less then retail (under $80 if I recall). I opted for another pair of brooks since I got a sweet deal on them thru eBay the other day. One of the friends mentioned above is also one of the local Merrell reps and she trained & ran the BMO half in Hoka’s, given to her by the Hoka rep. She loves them and lovers her Merrell’s for the trails.

One thing with the Hoka’s is that even though they have lots of cushioning, the heel to toe lift is nominal compared to a traditional shoe, such as the Nike Vomero or Brooks Glycerin’s. 4.5mm for the Hoka verses 9.5mm for the Brooks.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Thu May 30, 2013 7:56 am

I broke down an ordered a pair of the Mafate 2's yesterday. I have to head into NY this Saturday morning for other reasons so I ordered from Running Warehouse and will pick them up Saturday.

I may regret it...then again I may love it so I figure worth a try. I need to stop buying shoes, I think I need help :)

I had promised to take the full week off an start running again next Tuesday, with my new pair of clown shoes coming in I may need to break that promise. Perhaps a short 5-10k test on Sunday :)

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 am

I'd love to hear about personal experience with these. I have arthritis in my feet and am always looking for more cushioning.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 pm

All I can think of when I see those is "The Jimmy" Seinfeld episode with the special training shoes. Jimmy's down!!!!

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm

NMG wrote:All I can think of when I see those is "The Jimmy" Seinfeld episode with the special training shoes. Jimmy's down!!!!

:))!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm

NMG wrote:All I can think of when I see those is "The Jimmy" Seinfeld episode with the special training shoes. Jimmy's down!!!!

Hahahaha...I will never look at them the same again. "Jimmy's Down" will be in my head all day now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

@Kab I'll let you know how they work out. I'm pretty interested in running with them so anxiously awaiting their arrival.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Picked up the Hokas today...mucho comfy but my I look hilarious. Just walked around the yard/house with them on so far. Schedule for Woodstock starts up on Tuesday so likely my first run will be then. With just the walking the cushioning is out of this world. They make my maximum cushioned Triumphs feel hard.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am

Cool, it will be interesting to hear what you think of them. I've done some reading online and it seems that most people who have them love them.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am

It seems I can not run a marthon due to the pounding on pavement, thus very intrested for road runs.

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 am

I am super interested in these. Does anyone know a store that ships these to Manitoba? We don't have them yet.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:36 am

I'm not aware of any place in Canada, the Hoka website lists Cdn retailers, but I suspect none are close. Nearest to Ottawa was Toronto.

Are you near the U.S. border? You could do as I did have them shipped to a UPS store from Running Warehouse or Boulder Shoe company etc.

They do run a 1/2 size small so when ordering keep that in mind, and I can verify at least for the Mafate 2's it's true.

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 am

ngcaper wrote:I'm not aware of any place in Canada, the Hoka website lists Cdn retailers, but I suspect none are close. Nearest to Ottawa was Toronto.

Are you near the U.S. border? You could do as I did have them shipped to a UPS store from Running Warehouse or Boulder Shoe company etc.

They do run a 1/2 size small so when ordering keep that in mind, and I can verify at least for the Mafate 2's it's true.

My Shop was suppose to start carrying these this year, not sure if the plans fell through or not, but if you like, I can ask him this week ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

It would be intersting to have access to the Hoka's in Ottawa...for me personally since I just bought a pair it wouldn't benefit me near term, but interesting to know if there are plans.

Thanks for offering to look into it HCcD

2015 Races:
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:17 pm

HCcD wrote:
ngcaper wrote:I'm not aware of any place in Canada, the Hoka website lists Cdn retailers, but I suspect none are close. Nearest to Ottawa was Toronto.

My Shop was suppose to start carrying these this year, not sure if the plans fell through or not, but if you like, I can ask him this week ... :shifty: :wink:

I'm going to Fargo next month, I'll look for them and it sounds like it would be better to try them on.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

same reaction from me this weekend at KM100. Got me curious, really interested in seeing what you think of them. I'll have to try yours on.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 am

ngcaper wrote:

Hahahaha...I will never look at them the same again. "Jimmy's Down" will be in my head all day now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

@Kab I'll let you know how they work out. I'm pretty interested in running with them so anxiously awaiting their arrival.

way too funny, thanks for the clip.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 pm

kab wrote:
HCcD wrote:

I'm going to Fargo next month, I'll look for them and it sounds like it would be better to try them on.

I bought my pair from kint.ec/hokas. The Mafates fit pretty much like any other shoe I've got, maybe just a bit roomier in the toe box. The Stinsons are pretty tight (I had to return a pair). As for my opionion of the Hokas, I like them although they do give me blisters on my right big toe, probably because of the extra room in the toe box (they can slide around more).

They have some "old models" that are on sale for *just* below their free shipping total. So buy yourself some sports tape to make up the difference.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Running Free carries them, as does Sportchek. (They're only available online at Sportchek.ca)

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks, good to know. I am sitting up unable to sleep with my aching feet and calves right now. I hope they help.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 pm

jgore wrote:Running Free carries them, as does Sportchek. (They're only available online at Sportchek.ca)

Sportchek isn't renewing their inventory, so they have some gaps in their sizes. And once they're gone, they're gone.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Gearing Up”