running bra too big??

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
JSmitty
Bill Crothers

running bra too big??

Postby JSmitty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:15 pm

So, any run over 30 minutes and I get a rash/burn under the bra line. I tend to buy my clothes larger but would a more "fitted" top erase the chafing? Sometimes the elastic feels like it is moving away from the skin. Otherwise I don't feel uncomfortable in the bouncing category, lol.
My size is large to extra large and I am a 36D.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: running bra too big??

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:19 pm

JSmitty wrote:So, any run over 30 minutes and I get a rash/burn under the bra line. I tend to buy my clothes larger but would a more "fitted" top erase the chafing? Sometimes the elastic feels like it is moving away from the skin. Otherwise I don't feel uncomfortable in the bouncing category, lol.
My size is large to extra large and I am a 36D.

I like mine to fit tight, tight, tight to start, any looser than that and I get a rash.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Mine is also super tight, moving around can definitely cause chaffing!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:29 am

Dr. S wrote:Mine is also super tight, moving around can definitely cause chaffing!

Ditto. 34DD here. If I don't almost break in to a sweat getting my running bra in, it is too big. Seriously, there is no doing the clasps up when they are in the back (have to do them up in he front and spin them to the back). I wear a Shock Absorber.

BJH
Lynn Williams

running bra too big??

Postby BJH » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 am

JSmitty wrote: Sometimes the elastic feels like it is moving away from the skin.

That sounds like the band might be too big? Maybe try a 34 band (you might have to go up a cup size when you do this).

My bras are pretty snug. I got a bit of chafing the other day, but that was approaching the 3.5 hour mark.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Seems I have it all wrong!!! I am assuming that none of you wear just plain bra tops without clasps in the back. That would be my problem.
I think a visit to a website is in order, then I will to in person.
Any opinions on Moving Comfort bras?
Cheers,
Jill

OTTAWA HALF 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

JSmitty wrote:Seems I have it all wrong!!! I am assuming that none of you wear just plain bra tops without clasps in the back. That would be my problem.

I do but I'm an A or B cup so I just use the smoosh method. Works for me. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

JSmitty wrote:Seems I have it all wrong!!! I am assuming that none of you wear just plain bra tops without clasps in the back. That would be my problem.

I've got 3 Fiona(??) Moving Comfort. I like them.
I've got 5 TaTa Tamers (Lulu). I like them.
I've got 3 Champion (not sure what kind). I like them too.

I guess try a few on, jump up and down, jog on the spot. See what feels comfortable.

Edit: counted TaTa tamer bras, I have 5 not 3. :oops:
Last edited by Habs4ever on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I just bought a Moving Comfort Fiona today at MEC. I wore it for my run home tonight and it was good. Very comfortable, though I think I need to adjust it a bit better next time. I have another Moving Comfort, but I don't remember what type, and I liked it better. I tried the Maia today, but didn't find it supportive enough.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

I also like the Fiona bra. Definitely try on in person - I wear a different size in "regular" and sports bras, in part because I like the band very tight on my sports bras. I used to get red marks from the band moving around when I wore my regular size.

I've got a few of the Lululemon Tata Tamers as well. The support is similar to the Fiona, and I like those too.

I have some other bra top-type bras, but they only have enough support for light impact stuff for me (like yoga).
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Hammie wrote:I also like the Fiona bra. Definitely try on in person - I wear a different size in "regular" and sports bras, in part because I like the band very tight on my sports bras. I used to get red marks from the band moving around when I wore my regular size.

I agree with that. The 34 was a bit too loose for my liking, though it is what I'd normally wear, but they didn't have any smaller bands. I may order one in and try it.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:53 am

Hammie wrote:Definitely try on in person - I wear a different size in "regular" and sports bras, in part because I like the band very tight on my sports bras. I used to get red marks from the band moving around when I wore my regular size.

+1

For band size, you don't want to be able to get more than two fingers under the band (without pulling away from you) - one directly below the fullest part of the breast (not in the gap below your sternum), and one at the back in the same place (i.e. if you drew a line straight back through your body from the front finger, you would find the spot for the back finger). Then you want to adjust the straps so you can only fit two fingers stacked vertically like pancakes between the strap and your shoulder.

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow, I guess I do need a proper fitting for a running bra. I couple of years ago, I realized I wasn't wearing the right size for my regular bra. I first thought there was no way I was a D cup. But who wants your girls spilling out the sides and over the top.
I thing I will go to Running Free in Markham. I know they have lots of variety for the Moving Comfort. Then. perhaps I will check online.
Anyone know of any other retailer?
Is the lululemon worth the cost?

thanks
Cheers,
Jill

OTTAWA HALF 2014

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 pm

JSmitty wrote:Wow, I guess I do need a proper fitting for a running bra. I couple of years ago, I realized I wasn't wearing the right size for my regular bra. I first thought there was no way I was a D cup. But who wants your girls spilling out the sides and over the top.
I thing I will go to Running Free in Markham. I know they have lots of variety for the Moving Comfort. Then. perhaps I will check online.

thanks

Any LuLu product I've bought I love and wear whenever I can. I've only purchased them on sale as I don't pay full price for anything.

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Hah, sounds like me for sure.
The other thing, Does Lululemon only sell smaller sizes? I remember going into the store and nothing was bigger than size 12. Mind you, I am smaller now but I have a tendency to buy bigger especially in the rear area. I am getting more comfotable with more fitted items, but I am still a bit of a square, not to mention that I worry about the front area (if you know what I mean)!
Cheers,
Jill

OTTAWA HALF 2014

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm

JSmitty wrote:Hah, sounds like me for sure.
The other thing, Does Lululemon only sell smaller sizes? I remember going into the store and nothing was bigger than size 12. Mind you, I am smaller now but I have a tendency to buy bigger especially in the rear area. I am getting more comfotable with more fitted items, but I am still a bit of a square, not to mention that I worry about the front area (if you know what I mean)!

I'm not sure about sizes....I wear a 4 the majority of the time from there. Sometimes a 2 or 6 depending on styles. I know for bras they do carry larger sizes, but not sure up to what size.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
JSmitty wrote:Hah, sounds like me for sure.

I'm not sure about sizes....I wear a 4 the majority of the time from there. Sometimes a 2 or 6 depending on styles. I know for bras they do carry larger sizes, but not sure up to what size.

Clothes are still only up to a 12 - bras are a totally different matter! The running ones are sized like regular bras, not clothing. I think they go up to 38, and some are available in DD and E cups.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

JSmitty wrote:Wow, I guess I do need a proper fitting for a running bra. I couple of years ago, I realized I wasn't wearing the right size for my regular bra. I first thought there was no way I was a D cup. But who wants your girls spilling out the sides and over the top.

thanks

The tata tamer doesn't come in my cup size, but the reason I tried it on is they are available in more fun colours. They aren't actually all that much more than the running bras I have. It's infrequent that I run in just my bra, I just wanted something in a different colour.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm

JSmitty wrote:I thing I will go to Running Free in Markham.

I find it ironic that you are going to Running Free to buy a running bra.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 pm

drghfx wrote:
JSmitty wrote:I thing I will go to Running Free in Markham.

I find it ironic that you are going to Running Free to buy a running bra.

No one wants to run that kind of free. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:47 pm

OMG too funny. Yes, Running Free without a rash. Anyway, I may wait a bit until I go to the states.Thanks for the informative and humorous comments.
Cheers,
Jill

OTTAWA HALF 2014

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a D or DD... but I'd think if you're not bouncing, it's probably the right size, but yes you could probably try a smaller band. Bodyglide is your friend!! I chafe with my bras quite often, but only on longer runs, and bodyglide helps a lot. I find the bras with clasps chafe a lot more, which is why I despise them (well that and they're really hard to do up, at least for me), but if you're a D or DD I guess they're a necessary evil. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Habs4ever wrote:

I've got 3 Fiona(??) Moving Comfort. I like them.
I've got 5 TaTa Tamers (Lulu). I like them.
I've got 3 Champion (not sure what kind). I like them too.

I guess try a few on, jump up and down, jog on the spot. See what feels comfortable.

Edit: counted TaTa tamer bras, I have 5 not 3. :oops:

how many bras do you need?!

ETA: At the bra talk that I've gone to a few times, the experts have been clear that you need a clasp if you're bigger than a B cup! I'm usually a B cup, but, I still really like the clasp. I totally thought it would bug me, but, I love it.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm

The lululemon Ta Ta Tamers are totally worth the cost. Totally. They're my absolute favourite bra for all sports (running, floor hockey, miscellaneous strength stuff). They're actually cheaper than the other bras I have, and I like them more. If you can find one that fits, I highly recommend them. I have 6!

And I love the colours, because when I run in a tank top the bra is usually peeking out (even when I cross the straps). It's nice to have that peeking colour be neon yellow or hot pink. :lol:
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Yeah it's very personal- my bras with clasps don't feel as tight as my racerback ones. I normally don't mind them feeling tight- I'd rather them feel tight than feel the clasp! I am now a C... and who knows what I'll be when I'm nursing, hehehe (D????? Could it be?????) but I was a B before and hope to be again eventually! I did find the clasp bras were more supportive of the heavier "load", lol. The racerback ones are more "smoosh and push". ;)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “Gearing Up”