Your Favourite Winter Running Jacket

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Avis
Jerome Drayton

Your Favourite Winter Running Jacket

Postby Avis » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Yes, I'm planning to do more outdoor running this winter, instead of spending the colder months indoors nursing some injury. I need a decent sinter running jacket, one that will keep me as comfy as possible down to -20 and more, plus wind chill. What brand and make of jacket do you wear when it's really cold? I'd like a looser-fitting jacket that comes down at least half-way around my hips. I'm a practical gal and will take comfort over fashion when it's cold enough to freeze your nose hairs. Thanks!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Re: Your Favourite Winter Running Jacket

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:07 am

I just wear a light shell and change up the layers underneath.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:29 am

hands down, my favourite brand for winter running gear is Sugoi. They make some great stuff. I have one of their firewall jackets. It gives wind protection while allowing room for layers. Not much insulation on them so you need several layers underneath (more effective that way anyway).

http://www.sugoi.com/usa/2013/fall/run/ ... acket.html

wear it with sugoi buntoasters and firewall pants and you've got a good start. :)

mine has been in a box since I moved to vancouver though, lol.

a girl at runpub tonight was wearing one of the down jackets from lulu. It *looks* very cozy and I like that it has down, but is still quite thin and no wind protection so I'm not sure how warm it would be in very cold temps.

(and I don't see the same one on the site.)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:03 am

After running through years and years and years of frigid winters, there is nothing better than Icebreaker. Hands down.
It costs a lot but it is worth every penny in every way imaginable.

If you are in mild climate, it's less important.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 am

Been wearing a combination of Merino Wool Icebreaker baselayer (and/or Smartwool) from toe to head so far this winter with a Sugoi Firewall 180 Jacket, and feeling rather toasty, even in that -25C- st*pid windchill a couple of weekends, back ...

What size you wear? May have some lightly used, and/or like-new RR Reflective jacket(s) that I may have available ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am

HCcD wrote:Been wearing a combination of Merino Wool Icebreaker baselayer (and/or Smartwool) from toe to head so far this winter with a Sugoi Firewall 180 Jacket, and feeling rather toasty, even in that -25C- st*pid windchill a couple of weekends, back ...

What size you wear? May have some lightly used, and/or like-new RR Reflective jacket(s) that I may have available ... :shifty: :wink:

Yep, I like to wear layers in the winter. The jacket I currently have is too snug overall to fit many layers underneath, and it tends to feel clammy.

Sounds like the Firewall is a good bet...

Andy! You never ask a woman what size she wears! :lol: Just kidding. Really, it depends on the brand, but generally in tops, I'm a ladies' medium. In a unisex/mens' top, I can usually wear a small, if it's got plenty of room in the hip area. :wink:
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 am

Avis wrote:In a unisex/mens' top, I can usually wear a small, if it's got plenty of room in the hip area. :wink:

This is Andy you're talking about. Big hips aren't the first thing that come to mind.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I second the Firewall! I have a Firewall 220, but this year's 220 doesn't have any reflectivity - I had a huge crush on last year's Firewall 260 but couldn't justify it since I already own the 220.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:I just wear a light shell and change up the layers underneath.

+1
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:27 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

+1

Even "light shells" can be tricky. They need to block the wind and yet breathe. So suggestions for brands would be great. North Face?
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Avis wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

+1

Even "light shells" can be tricky. They need to block the wind and yet breathe. So suggestions for brands would be great. North Face?

as much as I don't like to look like a part of the cult - I go back to my RR running jacket every time. It's light, breathable, has pockets now and is reflective.

It just works.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Avis wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

+1

Mine is Adidas. It is not waterproof, just a windshell targeted for running. Waterproof-breathables don't breath enough for running IMO. TNF makes lots of different stuff, I'm sure one of them would work, just not the Goretex and assorted competitors.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I just wear a shell and then add layers - I think my current one is sugoi. I know a lot of people like the Firewall though.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Avis wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

+1

Mine is Adidas. It is not waterproof, just a windshell targeted for running. Waterproof-breathables don't breath enough for running IMO. TNF makes lots of different stuff, I'm sure one of them would work, just not the Goretex and assorted competitors.

I agree about the Gore-Tex. I made that mistake only once. It was like running in a vinyl jacket. I was drenched in just a couple of minutes.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 pm

jgore wrote:I agree about the Gore-Tex. I made that mistake only once. It was like running in a vinyl jacket. I was drenched in just a couple of minutes.
I too made that same mistake, once. Gore-tex is great for light activity, or intermittent activity like downhill skiing where you have a chance to let the moisture get out while you are resting. Maybe some of the newest technologies like GoreTex ProShell or eVent are better, my GoreTex jacket is getting pretty long in the tooth. I think the ones built by running-oriented companies like Sugoi or Craft are most likely to work well.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:21 pm

FWIW, I've been down to -50 with standard layering and a hoodie on the outside. If I can get the head and hands right, the rest seems to take care of itself.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:19 pm

The head is hard, if I cover up mouth and nose it just gets wet and then frozen. Yuck.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:The head is hard, if I cover up mouth and nose it just gets wet and then frozen. Yuck.

Down to -25 or -30, I'll just use a toque, buffs, and hood to get to the perimeter of my eyes and mouth. Past that, I've done well with a running balaclava with vents on the nose and mouth.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 pm

seems to be different for men vs. women. Whenever we have this conversation the men say they need a lot less than the women do.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:41 pm

I love my North Face Isotherm jacket. Wind doesn't get through but it's still pretty breathable. I haven't run with it yet in really cold temps, but with a basic short sleeve shirt (like I would wear in the summer) and just the jacket, I've actually been too hot down to -5 or so. I'm a big guy though so I do tend to run hot. I think with a proper thermal base layer and the jacket, I could easily run down to -15 or so without worrying. This is also ensuring that my hands and ears are covered up. If those aren't dealt with, it doesn't matter what I do, I feel downright horrific in the cold.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm all about layers. My winter running jacket is a simple Columbia jacket. But it depends if you get cold from your upper body (which I don't)! It's my a$$ that get cold... lol
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:18 am

Dr. S wrote:I'm all about layers. My winter running jacket is a simple Columbia jacket. But it depends if you get cold from your upper body (which I don't)! It's my a$$ that get cold... lol

I'm with you--my rear is always cold in the winter. That's why I want a jacket that covers at least part of it. I have a Sugoi hoodie that is great for layering under. It works, so far, to about -7. However, it doesn't cut the wind well enough for anything colder.

Lots of good suggestions, everyone! I think I'll try on a Firewall, and see how it fits. I might have to get some new wind-proof pants, too.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:18 am

Avis wrote:
Dr. S wrote:I'm all about layers. My winter running jacket is a simple Columbia jacket. But it depends if you get cold from your upper body (which I don't)! It's my a$$ that get cold... lol

I'm with you--my rear is always cold in the winter. That's why I want a jacket that covers at least part of it. I have a Sugoi hoodie that is great for layering under. It works, so far, to about -7. However, it doesn't cut the wind well enough for anything colder.

Lots of good suggestions, everyone! I think I'll try on a Firewall, and see how it fits. I might have to get some new wind-proof pants, too.

Try those for your buns Avis! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46119
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:40 am

the firewall pants are windproof--but only in the front (!) so you still have to protect your butt, which is why I always wore buntoasters underneath (plus a base layer when it was really cold!). The firewall jacket only comes down partially over your hips... doesn't cover the whole backside. :/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 pm

I actually just pulled my old firewall jacket out of storage (not cold enough here to need it ;) and tried it on again. Turns out the zipper is broken.

It's actually a large, which is too big for me (I wear a women's medium like you) but I wanted it roomy for layers underneath. I can send it to you for free if you want to see about getting the zipper replaced (no idea if it's worthwhile or not!).

Return to “Gearing Up”