footwear for snowshoes

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Sandra
Bill Crothers

footwear for snowshoes

Postby Sandra » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:11 am

I received a pair of snowshoes for Christmas and am at a loss at to what type of footwear to wear with them. The snowshoes I have are mainly going to be used for running. I don't think wearing winter boots will be necessary. Can I just wear regular running shoes or should I invest in a more wintery type of trail/running shoe?
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: footwear for snowshoes

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:19 am

I wear trail runners with mine. :)

Also big wool socks because the snow will soak your feet. Don't forget to bring dry footwear to change into after.

I only do short snowshoe trips though (up to 4 hours), not long days or multi-days. Would probably want a drier solution for longer trips.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I wear trail runners as well.

I grabbed a pair of Saucony Razors a couple of years ago on clearance. They're a "higher top" trail shoe. http://www.runningfree.com/images/produ ... 472_XL.jpg (mine are HOT pink though)

A good solid pair of gators will help keep your foot somewhat dry and stop snow going into them as well. Some people I know also look for a goretex type running shoe. I've been good with my Salomons or Saucony thus far.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:34 pm

I wear my trail shoes. A pr of gaiters comes in really handy as you tend to kick a lot of snow up and it's pretty easy to fill your shoes.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 am

Thanks for the responses. I figured a trail shoe would work best and I did get a pair of gaitors with the snowshoes. Going to give them a go this morning! :D
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Return to “Gearing Up”