GPS tracking/safety device?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
lish05

GPS tracking/safety device?

Postby lish05 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello,
I'm looking for some sort of small, wearable safety device that can be used to track my location on a run, but does not require me to carry a phone as well.
• Needs to have a reliable built-in tracking system
• If it's a subscription device, it would need to have a small fee, under $10 per month for a Canadian provider.

Ideally:
• A family member could have an app on their phone where they can live track the device to see where it is on a map when in use.
• Could be used to send an emergency message to a pre-programmed contact with my location
• Maybe some sort of button for an alarm to go off in an emergency situation.

If anyone knows of a device that can do these things please let me know what it's called and where to buy it.
Thanks!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Re: GPS tracking/safety device?

Postby deerdree » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm

it sounds like SPOT would be perfect, but the $10 plan doesn't include the ability for others to track you. at least that's my sense based on the description of service plans.

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=103

they're currently running a promo where you get the device for free, with a rebate.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I was thinking "I've never heard of anything like this for runners" and then I realized that I was thinking about it wrong. To find the right product you have to think like a stalker. What would I buy if I wanted to secretly keep tabs on someone?

http://gps-tracker-review.toptenreviews.com/

Pocketfinder looks like the best to me but there's lots of info there.

I've never heard of a runner carrying one of these. Almost everyone I know carries a phone and between Find-My-Iphone and other cloud apps like mapmyrun (which can be set to tweet my location every half kilometer) I'm not feeling the need to carry another device and pay another monthly fee.

Welcome to RM.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I've never heard of a runner carrying one of these.

I know a bunch here, trail runners. There's always a potential for getting lost in the mountains, and cell phone batteries don't last long. Lots of people here have the SPOT tracker. I've thought about it but I don't want a monthly fee. If/when I invest in one, I'll probably get just a plain SOS beacon (like this one). Doesn't let people track you but it could save your life. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:02 am

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I've never heard of a runner carrying one of these.

I know a bunch here, trail runners. There's always a potential for getting lost in the mountains, and cell phone batteries don't last long. Lots of people here have the SPOT tracker. I've thought about it but I don't want a monthly fee. If/when I invest in one, I'll probably get just a plain SOS beacon (like this one). Doesn't let people track you but it could save your life. :)

Are they on a different technology (e.g. like an avalanche transponder)? You get out of cell range pretty quickly in the mountains where I live.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:10 am

A friend of ours rides his motorcycle all over North America and has a SPOT. I have been able to track him on his adventures all over, even in very remote areas.

They have a promo on now: http://findmespot.ca/SPOTOFFER/lander.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=text&utm_term=spot%20satellite%20subscription&utm_campaign=FREEHoliday2015 where you get the price of the unit rebated once you setup up your subscription. The monthly fee is $19.98 CAD, but you get the unit ($169.98) for free after the rebate.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:40 am

eme wrote:A friend of ours rides his motorcycle all over North America and has a SPOT. I have been able to track him on his adventures all over, even in very remote areas.

They have a promo on now: http://findmespot.ca/SPOTOFFER/lander.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=text&utm_term=spot%20satellite%20subscription&utm_campaign=FREEHoliday2015 where you get the price of the unit rebated once you setup up your subscription. The monthly fee is $19.98 CAD, but you get the unit ($169.98) for free after the rebate.

That answers my question - satellite, not cellular.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:21 pm

yeah a cell-based one would be pretty useless in any areas where you'd need it.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:46 pm

lish05 wrote:Hello,
I'm looking for some sort of small, wearable safety device that can be used to track my location on a run, but does not require me to carry a phone as well.
• Needs to have a reliable built-in tracking system
• If it's a subscription device, it would need to have a small fee, under $10 per month for a Canadian provider.

Ideally:
• A family member could have an app on their phone where they can live track the device to see where it is on a map when in use.
• Could be used to send an emergency message to a pre-programmed contact with my location
• Maybe some sort of button for an alarm to go off in an emergency situation.

If anyone knows of a device that can do these things please let me know what it's called and where to buy it.
Thanks!

Anything wrong with specifically using your phone in your case? Find my friends, or iphone's find my phone (with linking family members via icloud) does just this and you already may be paying for it. Then they can track you as you run. A phone isn't that hard to carry, especially if you feel the need to be tracked as you run.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:52 pm

fingerboy wrote:Anything wrong with specifically using your phone in your case?

Some people don't want to carry with their phone while they run (I rarely do). Also, if you're running in a place with spotty cell phone service (as Holly mentioned above), it won't work.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 am

It still comes down to why do you need it. If you do, you'll find a way to bring it with you. 90% of the population probably has good cell service, and if you don't, then you're going to have to fork in extra for one of those devices listed above.

lish05

Postby lish05 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. To answer your questions about why I don't want to carry my phone, I do sometimes run in areas with spotty cell reception and I just find it bulky and uncomfortable to carry (especially if it won't even work in some areas). I've heard of devices like the React Sidekick, which is basically just a small button that you hook onto your clothing, but it does require you to carry your phone as well so I was wondering if anyone knew of something small like that, that doesn't require you to have your phone or cell reception. Spot does seem like the best option, although it's still bigger than I'd like and I'd rather not pay the subscription fees for the winter months when I wouldn't be running outdoors anyway. Does anyone know if you can put subscription payments on hold with Spot for curtain months and then reactivate it when you're using it again, or do you have to have a 1-year contract or something?

Thanks again.

Return to “Gearing Up”