Calf and foot pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Bruce Kidd

Calf and foot pain

Postby newbie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm

I have been battling really bad shin splints for over 2 years now and it's getting to the point that I want to quit running altogether since I can not figure out the issue. It started just after I ran my first marathon in 2016, I had never has this issue before. I took the summer off because I was tired and just needed a break plus we bought a cottage. I started back that fall and after the first run approx. 5 k I could not walk and my calfs, shins and the front of my ankle were all throbbing and very tight. I I figured it was just because I had been off for awhile, I struggled along that fall and winter and nothing changed. I saw a physio all winter who worked on my hips because she said that was root cause. I changed shoes to a stability shoe and things felt a little better and I made it through a 10k clinic. That fall I was registered for the army run, I saw a message therapist and she said my calfs were really tight. On recommendation I went to see a sports doc at Carleton university because my family dr thought it might be compartment syndrome. He ruled that out right away and sent me for a bone scan and MRI to rule out a stress fracture. I got clearance to run 2 days before the army run and with the help of my message therapist finished the 15k barely. I then took another Winter off and in the spring decided to for a gait analysis, filmed me and said I no longer heel strike but forefoot strike and recommended orthotics to not correct anything but to off load the strain off my calfs and shins. I tried unsuccessfully over the next few months to get back and same issue everytime. After about 1-2k excruciating shin pain, I can usually walk it off and I am fine but I would like to get back to running 1/2 marathons.

Anyone have any suggestions??? Note I did try dry needling and am taking magnesium supplements every day
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

narr
Tom Longboat

Re: Calf and foot pain

Postby narr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:33 am

Hi newbie,

I would suggest that you start with less than you know you can do and gradually increase from there.
I suggest that you read about Chi running. It is mumbo-jumbo, but it makes you think about your posture and your foot plant.

Landing heel first leads to tight shins.
Landing on the forefoot leads to tight calves.
I would aim for a midfoot plant.

I am continually amazed at the mileage people do starting back from a period of none running or after an injury.
How about you wait until your shins aren't sore and your calves are loose and flexible. Then go for a walk and somewhere in the middle of the walk, jog between two telephone poles. A couple of days later, make it two or three telephone poles. Enjoy the walk and in a controlled painless manner, gradually get a feel for what you can do.

I had run marathons too, and at one point I had IT band issues that prevented me from running 200 meters. I literally had to walk home after 200 meters. I saw all kinds of people and I don't think any of them helped. What helped was time and starting out with less than I knew I could do. I went on to the two best marathons of my life. Don't lose hope.

I hope this helps,

Greg.
narr = not a real runner

Running is a privilege.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Calf and foot pain

Postby Dstew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 pm

I suffered my stress fracture in 2005. The calf muscles will flare up every so often at or around the site of the fracture. What has worked is a simple shin splint brace/ wrap. I will apply an anti inflammatory gel before the run and then after. Mine will flare up if I get overly ambitious with regards to pace and/or distance. I ran two Boston marathons with this issue, a 50 K road race, 4 other marathons and over 20 trail races. All of the longer races where with a tape job my physio taught me. I have found K tape of my right hip and lower back and now tricep muscle tear but have not used it on the shin as a Runners Room "splint/brace/velco wrap thingy" seems to work well for me. https://ca.shop.runningroom.com/catalog ... n%20splint

I also have the board and the plastic version:
https://fitter1.com/search?q=calf*

As noted, with anti inflammatory gels and the right brace or tape job, stretching and breaks, you might be able to do a half marathon. Massage, physio with dry needling, etc, etc, etc and in 13 years, it always comes back. So now I limit myself to more a 9 K max jog. But as noted, I did a lot more than that for years and it never seemed to completely go away but on the other hand, was never bad enough to impact me other than when running.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”