Pain in iliac crest

The grisly details and tales of the road back

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Pain in iliac crest

Postby abhainn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey all. Looks like I've got my first real running injury. I've been experiencing some pain in my right iliac crest. I know it's from running on the hills since it's only started since I got here. It was hurting before I developed shin splints and had to stop running until I could get new shoes, was gone for the months I was off (or at least I don't remember it being around) but it's back again now that I've got a bit more of a regular schedule. I should point out that it doesn't hurt while running just while in bed (sometimes turning over is an adventure in pain and stiffness that makes me feel like a really really old person) and, today especially, after sitting for awhile standing up can be painful. There doesn't seem to be any loss of strength or range in motion in either leg and I don't feel pain anywhere else except in that one area.

Background:
Before moving to Vic I ran almost exclusively on a treadmill but never had problems other than just getting used to it, running outside.
Been running for almost 5 years pretty regularly except since moving to Victoria.
I'm prone to shin splints but so long as I'm not running or walking in ancient shoes I'm usually pretty good.
Currently if I get in 3 runs a week I'm happy but really hoping to get a solid 4 in - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday
I've basically started from the beginning since getting here doing 1:1s with a 5min warm-up, 20min of run/walk, 5min c/d, but for awhile there i was doing hour long walk/runs on the weekends, but that was before December. So obviously not high mileage.
I'm slow. 'Nuf said. There is no such thing as speed work in my bodies vocabulary. It would be nice, but I'm good for now with my 1 turtle pace/speed. However pretty much every run is a hill workout. There's no option there.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you did about it.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Pain in iliac crest

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 pm

I feel stupid...what is iliac crest?
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I feel stupid...what is iliac crest?

Not stupid. I had to look it up. When you put your hands on your hips, the bone that your fingers sit on is the iliac crest of the pelvic bone(s)
Andrea Michelle

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Sounds possibly like a hip flexor injury.

I had (and I think Marg had?) a tensor fasciae latae strain last year. It took (what seemed to me as) an absurdly long time for it to heal.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 am

Symptons: The most common symptom of a hip flexor strain is pain. It occurs along the front of the hip and may radiate down the front of your thigh. Your pain wil increase with movement, especially trying to lift your knee toward your chest.

Running, jumping, and even walking can be painful, and your sports performance may be limited.

You may have a small amount of swelling, but this is not very common. Muscle spasm and bruising may also occur, depending on how severe the injury is.

TC, I don't think it's that. The pain doesn't radiate, I basically just feel it along the bony area. Today has been a bit worse in that when I got up from sitting for awhile it was stiff and I could feel it while walking, but again really just near the crest and maybe a little down the front. There's no pain while running and no loss of strength or in range of motion. I can lift my knee to my chest just fine without any difficulties. And the pain seems to go away with movement, not get worse.

Some of the things I'm reading suggest it could be due to a misaligned pelvis, one side higher than the other. I can definitely see that happening with the hills and the fact that I've got a right knee issue that I tend to over compensate for with my left leg. Also, if I remember correctly, the first time I saw a massage therapist she told me one leg was higher than the other likely because of the knee issue. Here's the rub though, if that's the case, an adjustment and massage would likely help but I don't have a chiro/ART or massage therapist out here, even if I could afford it :ymtongue: *sigh*
Andrea Michelle

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 am

Way back when, when I use to practice Karate ... I got nailed in a sparring session by someone who nailed me with a round-house kick and bruised my iliac crest ... :shock: :? think she got a warning for an illegal kick :think: :think: Anyhoo, definitely took a while for it to heal, if I recall :think: :think: .. ouch, ouch ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”