CARDIAC REHABILITATION: Anyone had experience with this?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

CaptainFoot
Percy Williams

Postby CaptainFoot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 pm

I'd love to hear any success stories out there whether it was you or someone you know who walked their way back to health! Cardiac health is a big interest of mine and I think success stories are a great way to stay inspired!

Happy Heart Health Month :D

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: CARDIAC REHABILITATION: Anyone had experience with this?

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 pm

My mother's doctor was John Kendall from Burlington

http://www.burlingtonrunners.com/index. ... ry&id=4425

Getting heart attack victims out running in the 2000's is a story, he was doing it in the 1960s.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Maybe Garth will reply...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 am

I treat a client with CCHF and who had a pacemaker put in this year. He participates in a cardiac rehab program and has been for about 10 years. It's an hour program of 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weigh training. He's in great health
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

CardiacHealth
Percy Williams

Postby CardiacHealth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi! There are a few testimonials about this topic here: http://cardiachealth.ca/index.php?o=testimonials

There is something called the WALK OF LIFE that takes place in different places across Canada to help support cardiac rehab programs. The Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada will be hosting its 2011 edition of the WALK OF LIFE in Toronto on May 14th. You should come out!

Happy Heart Health Month to you, too! :D

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 am

3 years ago, my older brother (age: 58)had a major heart attack. He had been having some "back aches" the previous week (well...this turned out to be mini heart attacks :shock: ), and finally, during the night, it was hurting enugh to decide to go to the hospital emergency. He waited for an hour :shock: before they found out he was having a heart attack...and he was sent to another hospital, sirens screaming and lights blazing...
He came to an inch of not surviving this...but he finally did . They did some surgery (no bypass, though)
Part of his cardiac rehabilitation was to do some serious high intensity exercice (I did not know they were supposed to do that!). During that time, he started running, and has been running quite a few races (nothing more than 10K, though). He also reexamined his life and retired about 12 months later (he was a partner in a software company - high stress job)
Now I have a brand new fit and slim bro! I try to convince him to run a haf marathon, but have not succeeded yet...
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

CaptainFoot
Percy Williams

Postby CaptainFoot » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi All!

I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone for posting your stories -- I read each one and am impressed / inspired by them :)

As a side note, if anyone knows anyone who might need cardiac rehab, CardiacHealth sent me to a site with a pile of good info in it, including a list of Cardiac Rehab Centres across Canada...http://cardiachealth.ca/index.php?o=locate-rehab-centre

I didn't know there were so many rehab sites 'til I saw this list. Call me a heart-nerd, but I think that's pretty cool...WALK/RUN ON :D

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”