2 days back into training...foot pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

2 days back into training...foot pain

Postby gymnastgirly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:23 am

So as I said in my journal post, I started getting an ache in my foot when running on the treadmill today. My first run in a few weeks was a 2.5 mile run + 1.5 mile walk on a concrete track last night. It wasn't a bad ache, but I figured it was a good idea to stop, so I biked for a bit. It got steadily worse walking back from the gym to my desk at the office (I had 1" heels on). I iced it for a few hours at my desk, but then wearing my runners home, and then my steel toes all evening at my other job (it's standing behind a customer service desk), it feels like I'm walking on a really bad bruise. Hurts like heck.

It's on the outside bottom of my foot, just in front of the ankle bone. Nowhere else. No swelling.

A friend of mine is an athletic therapist & has said it might just be because I did too much on a concrete track, given that I hadn't run for a while beforehand. I'm supposed to go see her if it doesn't start clearing up in a couple days. Till then, ice lots, rest lots, and wear decent shoes & no heels.

2 days back in...and I'm back out. This sucks.

(on the bright side, it leaves me more time to knit, lol)

2011 plans
Resolution Run - 48 min (walked...it was COLD!)
WPS Half Marathon - DNF, 1:20ish at 10.75km
Fargo 5K & 10K - 5K walked 48 something. 10K 1:13:55
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: 2 days back into training...foot pain

Postby seuss » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 am

concrete track sounds very nasty! i assume your running shoes are right for your gait, in good shape and not to old or worn out?
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Postby gymnastgirly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am

seuss wrote:concrete track sounds very nasty! i assume your running shoes are right for your gait, in good shape and not to old or worn out?

Shoes are right according to the Running Room and another local running store, and are in good shape. I wore them for a few months last year with no issues at all.

I iced last night, and the pain was less this morning, but has been increasing with the amount of walking I have to do (parking lot to office, etc). So I'm wearing lovely black sneakers with my office attire today :D And icing at my desk, lol.

2011 plans
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Just a thought--Was the track small, and did you always run in the same direction? If so, it could be a problem caused by always having the same foot on the inside/outside of the turn. (That, and the concrete!)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

gymnastgirly
Johnny Miles

Postby gymnastgirly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 am

6 laps to a mile in the same direction...but I went to a walk in this morning and he's diagnosed a strain in the peroneal tendon & told me not to run for a week. And stuck me on crutches for the next 3 days.

Not a very happy camper here!

2011 plans
Try a Trail series
And others TBD...

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”