Post-marathon Depression

The grisly details and tales of the road back

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Post-marathon Depression

Postby irun4me » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 am

How long does/should this feeling usually last after a marathon?
I've been struggling getting back into training. I'm not usually one to make up excuses not to run, because I love doing it, but it seems to be happening. I finished doing Goofy and had a fantastic experience, took some time to recover and am now finding it hard to 'get my groove back'. Yes, it's been a long, cold winter but thats never bothered me before. I always got dressed for the weather, yet this year I became a whimp or something. I have had a non running related health issue that drained me of energy but I made myself go out for regular runs anyway which all left me completely blah.
With milder weather I believe I'm on the up-swing and have registered for an early spring half to keep me motivated. And I have bigger goals for the summer but if I lose my base, I'm worried I won't make those goals.
Any advice on how to maybe avoid this in the future?

Thanks
April
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Post-marathon Depression

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 am

I think it's probably a combination of all of the things you listed above: weather, lack of sunlight, general february "blahs", combined with being between goals.

Give it a few more weeks... run when you want to, and when the weather improves and the days are longer you'll be itching to get back out there! :)

(also, have you thought about things like iron levels, vitamin d levels, etc.?)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:36 am

Hey we are running twins! I just finished Goofy too and feel the same way. I decided to give myself a bit of a running break. I have done a bit of skiing, the odd short run since I got back. I think mentally I just needed to do this.

Don't stress too much about losing your base, I always find after a longer running break that it takes me around 2 weeks to get back to where I was and find I tend to actually get faster. I decided to spend the spring working on some shorter distances to see if I can get faster. So my new 10k schedule starts next week. My head isn't in a space yet where I want to run really long but love the thought of short quick workouts. I am hoping the next few months of faster speeds will help with my fall racing plans for longer distances.

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 am

I got injured in my boxing match and was off for two weeks. It drove me insane because I was dying to run, but when I got back into it, I was a little frustrated by how much harder it was. Still though, I just sort of plowed through it and I'm almost as good as new.

Sometimes you just have to plow. Eventually, everything else will catch up.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks everyone.
I have been taking iron for the past few weeks and I think it's helping. My overall mood is improving as well. Like you funrunner, I'm plowing through it. I had a good, fast 10k on Wed that left me smiling throughout the day :D
Congrats on your Goofy Tori. Such a great experience! The half was a little too crowded for my liking but still had a great time.

Thanks again
April
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 am

I too, was back at Goofy Land this past January, and even did the Dopey Challenge by adding the 5K Fun Run .. :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Traditionally, after a key goal, having committed updwards of 18-20+ weeks to your training, it is suggested that one takes time off to reflect and to celebrate such an achievement, of which you had just completed, that is The Goofy Challenge, having run 63.3KM over the weekend ... Both mentally and physically, each individual will take as much time, or as little time, to recover ... some, a few days, a few weeks, and for some even a few months ... Most programs suggest that you run no more than 2 marathons a year, that is, allowing 4-6 months between to recover, to refocus and train and to taper between marathons ...

As for me, I'm actually on the opposite side of the spectrum, where I will continually look for new races and goals to train for ... heck, I was back running two days after the Goofy/Dopey weekend ... :shock: :shifty: :wink: and, was already preparing for my next race(s) .. ATB 30K and Vancouver Marathon .... :shifty:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "It Depends" ... on each individual, their running history, goals, and how quickly they are able to recover after a key event, etc. As Dr. Phil would say ... It's ok to be feeling the way you are feeling ... You have acknowledged where you are at and looking to move forward and upward ... When you are ready, physically, mentally and spiritually, to refocus on and start your next goal, you will know .. Until then, continue to take this time to revel in your recent accomplishment and do those other activities that you had sacraficed during your recent training, such spending time with the family, reading, other hobbies, etc., as soon, they too may be put back on the back burner, once you start your next block of training ...

I guess being single, does have some merits, as far as not having to commit my time to other people, etc. :shifty: :wink: :P :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm

I didn't remember posting this thread?? ;)

I exactly resemble the original post

Syscrush
Tom Longboat

Postby Syscrush » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am

OK, you are a much more experienced and accomplished runner than I am, so take this for what it's worth. If you're feeling sluggish and unmotivated to run, then maybe your body is still telling you something - give it some time, running will still be there when you feel the urge to get back to it. Someone doesn't come as far as you have without having a love of running, and developing some degree of addiction to it. I can almost guarantee that something will happen before long - something like running to catch a bus or beat a light, seeing a runner out there on a beautiful spring day, waking early in the morning after a dream about running, reading about folks on here preparing for events, or completing the goals they've set for themselves - and that something will reignite the desire to get out there and RUN.

Just try not to get too fat in the meantime. Don't ask me how I know about that one. :p
If I can't have a body built for running, let me have one built by running.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:04 am

I found my love back in Miami. Love running here

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Post-marathon Depression

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

In addition to the comments from others, you might also check to see if this is a physiological issue. In the past I have gotten anemic (low ferritin) after a hard training cycle. The symptoms were low energy and difficult recovery after a race or set of races. My desire to train was there, but I just couldn't do it. Once I got the iron under control I've never had those kind of recovery issues, either psychological or physiological.

There are also some other post- training physiological issues that can affect mood and desire too (thyroid, EFA deficiency, etc.)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Things are improving very well. I did a half on Sunday to break up the winter off season. It felt great! My legs are a little sore but rest and stretching yesterday and easy run today helped loosen them up. I've set goals and registered for a couple spring races and it's seemed to put some pep in my step :D
I do think my iron was quite low and am going to take better care of myself.

Believe me mcshame...if I could run in Miami right now, I would! It's a balmy minus 3 here with sunshine. Things are definatley looking up :dance:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with me.
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”