Tendonitis/MTSS/Sfx

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Tendonitis/MTSS/Sfx

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am

Good luck figuring this out, PL.

A few things that I wanted to add to the discussion about stress fractures, etc:

1) They are not always as obviously different from other injuries as Holly's experience. I've heard of people running through stress fractures for weeks before they were confirmed, and they claimed the pain wasn't even as bad as other injuries. Also, the stress fracture can be in combination with some soft-tissue injury and therefore the symptoms are muddied.

2) I was so relieved to find out I didn't have a heel stress fracture back in 2009, but the recovery time seemed just as long, if not longer, with the soft tissue injury I did have. Similar story several years back when I thought I had a metatarsal stress fracture. In some ways a stress fracture is easier because there is usually a defined recovery time. (I was able to get a bone scan within two weeks of ordering it. Interestingly, the bone scan ruled out the stress fracture, but it also identified the soft tissue damage.)

3) When I have pain only after a run and not during it, I do consider it different. I won't run through pain that I feel while running, but things often do tighten up afterwards. Ice and IB usually help a lot, and running easy helps to let the injury recover. As do making sure nothing I'm doing while WALKING on it is aggravating it (likely not the case with shin pain, but it was with my foot pains).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 am

Jwolf wrote:Good luck figuring this out, PL.

A few things that I wanted to add to the discussion about stress fractures, etc:

1) They are not always as obviously different from other injuries as Holly's experience. I've heard of people running through stress fractures for weeks before they were confirmed, and they claimed the pain wasn't even as bad as other injuries. Also, the stress fracture can be in combination with some soft-tissue injury and therefore the symptoms are muddied.

2) I was so relieved to find out I didn't have a heel stress fracture back in 2009, but the recovery time seemed just as long, if not longer, with the soft tissue injury I did have. Similar story several years back when I thought I had a metatarsal stress fracture. In some ways a stress fracture is easier because there is usually a defined recovery time. (I was able to get a bone scan within two weeks of ordering it. Interestingly, the bone scan ruled out the stress fracture, but it also identified the soft tissue damage.)

3) When I have pain only after a run and not during it, I do consider it different. I won't run through pain that I feel while running, but things often do tighten up afterwards. Ice and IB usually help a lot, and running easy helps to let the injury recover. As do making sure nothing I'm doing while WALKING on it is aggravating it (likely not the case with shin pain, but it was with my foot pains).

Thanks, Jenn! Fingers crossed.

I think that there is NO doubt that there's *some* soft tissue/tendonitis involved. Whether or not there's ALSO a sfx hidden in there somewhere is another possibility too. :? Worst of both worlds? :shock:

#3's been the most frustrating aspect, as, it's never ever ever hurt during a run. It's always been after I've cooled down, or the next morning. Lately, symptoms have gotten better, but I've always had to wait till the next morning after a workout to see if there's any residual pain/aches. :? It's so annoying as all get out! If it was a matter of 'don't run if it hurts', it would be a whole lot simpler to figure out what to do, and what not to do.

Sigh. I know y'all think it's a classic case of being an idiot and pushing through the pain, but, as I've mentioned before, it's never hurt during a run after the warmup. At its worst I thought my leg would fall off about 5 seconds AFTER I stopped running, but it still never hurt WHILE running. Very frustrating!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 am

if it doesn't hurt when you run, it's not a stress fracture.

A fracture (especially a fresh one) will give you shooting pain up the bone if you try to run on it.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, mystery solved.

It's a stress fracture. :( A little one, that's at least not showing up as 'fresh' (doc says it looks like it's a few weeks into the healing process), but it's a bone-something-or-other.

Sucks, but, I'll be okay. I'm getting rid of my NCM bib ASAP so it's not tempting and calling to me.

Well, I'll deal, I just need to change my plans is all. I'll be seeing my sports doc next week to get an official word on what's allowed and what's not in the coming months. Until then, I'm going to limit myself to yoga and pool running. Week one of Pfitzinger's deep water running schedule, here I come!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my doc will okay easy biking. I think I'll be just fine, mentally, if I can have a way to enjoy the beautiful spring weather, whether that's walking or biking.

Let's hope a waterproof mp3 player will make pool running at least bearable. :shock:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Ruteger
Johnny Miles

Postby Ruteger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm

That sucks but at least you know now. As you said, time to cross train. Good luck!

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”