pain behind the knee

The grisly details and tales of the road back

alexk
Bill Crothers

pain behind the knee

Postby alexk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Yesterday I developed a pain/soreness behind my right knee, on the outside. After doing a bit of research, I think it's the biceps fermoris tendon. It developed the day after a run, not during. I ran with a fast friend on Friday (no garmin so I don't know the pace, but faster than I would on my own) and pushed at the end of my run on Saturday. I may not be as recovered from my marathon (2 weeks ago) as I thought. I didn't run yesterday because it was quite sore to touch and hurt when I walked. I iced and stretched and it did feel better as the day progressed. I did a short, easy run this morning and it felt fine (also did a couple of short sprints in an exercise class). It still feels a bit tight/sore when I walk and touch it but much better than yesterday. I'm not training for anything, so I'll take it easy until it feels 100% better.

Has anyone ever had this before? It's new to me. I thought I'd had all the running injuries (lol). Any ideas what might cause this? I'm thinking tight (not recovered yet) hamstrings. Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: pain behind the knee

Postby HCcD » Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Everytime I visit my Chiro for an adjustment, she always make a point to use the "Activator" on the back of my knees/legs, to release whatever tension, as a result of all my running ... not sure what it does, but it always seem to feel better on my next runs, afterwards ... :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Wed May 04, 2011 5:37 am

alexk wrote:Yesterday I developed a pain/soreness behind my right knee, on the outside. After doing a bit of research, I think it's the biceps fermoris tendon. It developed the day after a run, not during. I ran with a fast friend on Friday (no garmin so I don't know the pace, but faster than I would on my own) and pushed at the end of my run on Saturday. I may not be as recovered from my marathon (2 weeks ago) as I thought. I didn't run yesterday because it was quite sore to touch and hurt when I walked. I iced and stretched and it did feel better as the day progressed. I did a short, easy run this morning and it felt fine (also did a couple of short sprints in an exercise class). It still feels a bit tight/sore when I walk and touch it but much better than yesterday. I'm not training for anything, so I'll take it easy until it feels 100% better.

Has anyone ever had this before? It's new to me. I thought I'd had all the running injuries (lol). Any ideas what might cause this? I'm thinking tight (not recovered yet) hamstrings. Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When do you feel the pain during your gait? Do you feel it when you get up from standing or moving from one position to another?
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed May 04, 2011 6:16 am

fe.sweetpea - doesn't hurt when I run but does when I walk. I feel it a bit when I step forward but more when my left leg moves forward and my right leg is in back (when it stretches out). It's actually almost gone. I've been icing, stretching, rolling (with a foam roller) and massaging my hamstring muscle. This seems to be loosening the tension. It's always a surprise when a new "ouch" spot pops up - I think it was just a subtle reminder that my body is still recovering. I also booked a massage for early next week.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”