Dry cracked heels...

The grisly details and tales of the road back

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Dry cracked heels...

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:12 pm

It's summer, I'm wearing a lot of open shoes, and my heels are taking a beating. Last night, after walking 3k to a friend's in flip flops, I thought I stepped on something as my left heel started hurting. Nope, it's starting to crack.

Anyone else dealt with this and have any good recommendations for creams or treatments? I'd just recently started filing my feet again, and will make sure I do that more often. I'm going to stop at the drug store on my way home to see what creams they have there.

My feet have been cold lately in my open shoes, so might be time to make the switch out of summer shoes.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Re: Dry cracked heels...

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:31 pm

I've had some luck with Vaseline Intensive Care. I'm in bare feet in the dojo all the time and my heels tend to get cracked in the winter.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm

there are lots of great foot scrubs and lotions out there... sounds like it's time to pamper them! :)

fancy stuff aside, try aveeno.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm

I have an awful nickname, Leather Feet. :oops: To remedy this problem, I use the Bath & Body Works Heel of Approval and it works very well.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product ... d=11160999
Carm

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Mine will crack and bleed. I was told to smother my feet in Vaseline, put on socks and go to bed. I can't stand sleeping with socks on but suffered through a couple nights for softer feet...

:shifty: I use to use crazy glue to bond the skin back together :oops: :roll:. It works and it's painless. Needless to say, when I went for pedi's I'd get the ol' :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:21 pm

I've been dealing with heal cracks since I was a teenager. I file them down as often as possible, use a really thick heal cream from Bath and Body Works, and wear socks to bed. Those things help, but don't always solve the problem. Liquid skin crack/bandage stuff helps a bit, but you have to keep applying it. One of the best things that I have found is to put some body glide on the crack before I leave for the day. The body glide softens the skin and lets it spread without cracking.

Doesn't matter the time of year... I still get these. I feel your pain.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Bag Balm, available at drug stores in a green square tin.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:36 pm

My niece swears by the Body Shop's hemp cream for her dry, cracked hands. I believe there's a foot one, too.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:48 pm

I just went and spent about 10 minutes in the foot aisle at Shoppers. Came out with a new pumice stone and crack cream. :lol: :lol: :shifty: Hopefully that will help. I guess that's what happens when I neglect doing my own pedicures for a while.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:14 pm

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:Bag Balm, available at drug stores in a green square tin.

+1.

My mum always used this, as well as something called "Hoof Saver" on her nails. She used to have to go to a tack shop to get those products, but ever since Shania Twain talked about how she used Bag Balm on her face every night, they started carrying it in regular stores.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 pm

La wrote:
HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:Bag Balm, available at drug stores in a green square tin.

+1.

My mum always used this, as well as something called "Hoof Saver" on her nails. She used to have to go to a tack shop to get those products, but ever since Shania Twain talked about how she used Bag Balm on her face every night, they started carrying it in regular stores.

+2
another vote here...awesome stuff..! Discovered it in 1993(on a trip to New Hampshire with Ro-Ro)...way before my running days!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:06 am

bruyere wrote:My niece swears by the Body Shop's hemp cream for her dry, cracked hands. I believe there's a foot one, too.

+1! It's awesome, and smells nice too!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 am

Once I get the problem under control, I'll go find some nice smelling stuff for preventative maintenance. Right now, using the crack cream, my feel smell like a pharmacy. Kind of a mix of A535 and something else. I also have Body Shop Peppermint Foot lotion at home. I guess I should have been using that more often.

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:02 pm

I put the plug in the bathtub when I am getting a shower, and find the soak helps soften them up and easier to get dead skin off. Also a fan of the body shop peppermint foot scrub and cream.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I get cracked heels, and cracks around my thumb nails in the dead of winter. The pharmacist recommended a cream containing urea (which I gather is made from what it sounds like it's made of.) Anyway, the stuff really works where nothing else would...
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:36 pm

There is a "creamy vaseline" called Prevex or Previx. Put it on your feet as soon as you get out of the tub or shower. It is a lot less messy than regular vaseline. No scent either.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

For feet active ingredients that work are urea and/or lanlolin. If you can get both you have the best chance of the cream working. Flexitol foot cream has both - shoppers drug mart usually carries it. Dermal Therapy foot cream has urea in it (same amount as flexitol) but not lanolin. If you can find it, Pedi relax intensive hydrating lotion is great but it is really hard to get even online. Use flexitol or Pedi Relax twice a day for a few days and the problem will be gone - no sanding of dry heels required!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:53 pm

bruyere wrote:My niece swears by the Body Shop's hemp cream for her dry, cracked hands. I believe there's a foot one, too.

[I'm just recovering from cracked heals myself. I've used the hemp cream and it's seems to work. I too hate socks on my feet when sleeping, but I 'sucked it up' for a few nights and that seemed to help, using Vaseline. I've also used udder cream and that has done the trick too. Plus it is also good for dry hands.
Check it out, http://well.ca/products/udderly-smooth-udder-cream_453.html.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”