Sore legs before sleep

The grisly details and tales of the road back

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Sore legs before sleep

Postby n_fraser » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am

Hi running friends,

I am two weeks away from my first half. I have found after my long runs the last few weeks, my legs are really sore in bed at night. I stretch after my runs and ice, but would something like rub a535 help before I sleep? I find it hard to sleep at night for the two nights after my long runs, even though I am beat.

Thank you!

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Sore legs before sleep

Postby eme » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 am

A few things I would suggest:

- ice bath (or hose your legs off with the coldest water you can stand) after your post shower
- ibuprofen (if you can take it)
- get your feet up after your run (later in the day after your run). I have been know to lie on the bed with my legs up the wall (butt against the wall, feet up to the ceiling) when I have had a particularly hard training day.

I found that these helped reduce the inflammation in my legs post long run and later in to the evening/night and helped relieve that sore feeling (and I feel a ton better the next day!).

Good luck with your taper and race!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm

I will sometimes take ibuprofen before bed if my legs are achey.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 am

Pain sore? Or squirmy?

I often get the squirmies, akin to Restless Leg Syndrome, and find it directly correlates to if I'm deficient in magnesium or potassium. So if it's a squirmy feeling, you could try having an extra banana and/or magnesium supplements. (I take Calmag, the calcium helps the magnesium absorption and also is good for bones).
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 am

Go for a half-hour walk or, if you have an exercise bike, spin with little/no tension for a few minutes an hour or so before going to bed. I found that this made a huge difference in how my legs feel at night and the next day.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”