Question about RMT

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Question about RMT

Postby Christine_Runs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hi All,

Not really a running question but I know there are some v. well informed peeps on here so I thought I'd ask. Here is my situation. I'm a stress ball. I am addressing the stress directly and am making progress, but in the meantime, the stress is causing physical problems: headaches and generally making knots in muscles and causing my muscles to be tight, etc. So my Dr. recommended RMT. I have never had MT before. I had my first appointment yesterday. I clearly had lost of tightness and lots of knots! I think it went well. It was an hour long (including a short discussion after my RMT read my intake forms). She focused on my neck and shoulders. My impression is she did a good job, I was comfortable with her and I think it helped. But today I swear I feel tighter and achier than normal. No sharp pain or anything.

She indicated that I was tight enough that I should schedule regular appointments for awhile so I'm not as out of kilter in the future. I think she's right but my question is this: is this just normal? I'm kind of assuming I'm aching today because my muscles have been confronted so to speak. They've been told that knots aren't going to be allowed to just grow and hang out themselves and that when they do this someone is going to try to break them up.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks

Christine

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Re: Question about RMT

Postby toobusy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:22 am

some people hurt the day after, some (like me) the day after that. it is normal.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 am

I've been going to an RMT with some regularity on and off for 37 years (yes...started back in the days when people would "titter" when I said I was going for a massage).

I started going at age 21 because of severe migraines. Now I go mostly because as a runner there always seems to be "somethng" :lol: :lol:

Over the years...and this is just my personal experience is that the day after a deep massage I sometimes (not always) feel a tad "achy" And the next day I feel much "looser"

BTW...reading your post reminded me very much of what our receptionist is dealing with. A lot of stress if her life and her doctor recommended massage so I referred her to mine...and she is finding it beneficial...and is on a regular schedule. The RMT is gradually decreasing the number of appointments to get her onto a maintenance schedule.

It's likely that your stress didn't happen overnight...so don't expect your body to release the stress it's been "holding" magically overnight. Again...just my opinion.

Good luck in your journey towards a less stressful life! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

run mom run
Tom Longboat

Postby run mom run » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:52 pm

I take all my stress and put it in my upper back so I'm often sore for a day or two after seeing my RMT. I have a high pain tolerance and she does deep tissue work. Like you my knots developed over a long time so they have taken multiple visits to break down. At first she said they were like tennis balls, then they became smaller and smaller stones. We're on a maintenance schedule of about every 6 weeks now.

You might find an ice pack helps with any post-massage soreness.

Ar
Do or do not, there is no try -- Yoda

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 pm

I've also found that if I drink lots and lots and lots of water (more than my usual 2L/day) on the day of my appointment and the couple days following I'm not as achey.

That could be in my head...but it seems to work for me.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 pm

I've also found that if I drink lots and lots and lots of water (more than my usual 2L/day) on the day of my appointment and the couple days following I'm not as achey.

That could be in my head...but it seems to work for me.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:49 am

I prescribe a mani-pedi.

I had my first one today... it was lovely... especially spending 1.5 hours in a massage chair. cheaper than an RMT and you get more out of it. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Postby Christine_Runs » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the feedback. CAW my RMT actually told me to drink lots so it probably isn't just in your head :D

Christine

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:45 am

Christine_Runs wrote:Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the feedback. CAW my RMT actually told me to drink lots so it probably isn't just in your head :D

Christine

My various RMT's had told me the same thing.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

If the RMT did trigger point work (work where they are finding a tender spot and holding waiting for release), this can lead to a bit of next day soreness. Make sure during the massage that your discomfort never goes above 7/10 on a pain scale, and that shouldn't be the whole massage, just during the more specific work. I personally don't find that I am sore post massage, just more a muscle fatigue feeling. But everyone is different. The RMT would likely limit the trigger point work within each session because attacking too many of those things at one time can lead to 'kick back' pain post massage especially when dealing with muscles involved in tension headaches.

And there is no scientific basis for drinking water post massage. Enjoy if it you're thirsty, but it's going to add to the benefit of the treatment.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”