The Pain-Cream Thread

The grisly details and tales of the road back

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

The Pain-Cream Thread

Postby phorunner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am

Lately, I've been suffering from a minor but aggrivating bout of PF. One by one, I've been trying out most of the Pain Relief creams out there. This is by no means a medical/scientific study, and I accept no responsibility for anything that may happen to you through the use of these products. This is meant to be an anecdotal account of my (and other RM members') use of these products. Results can and will vary.

My procedure has been as follows
- Purchase - scour the shelves at the local pharmacy and sort by medicinal (active) ingredient. Choose product with highest concentration.
- Application - follow directions on packaging

Products tested so far
Arinca Based wiki
- Rub A535 "Arnica" - Arnica Montana 15 %
----- Tried Arnica on recommendation of a chiropractor I saw. It did absolutely nothing. Didn't notice ANY reduction in pain. Not much else to say. Smelled a mildly minty.

Capsaicin Based wiki
- Zostrix HP - Capsaicin 0.075%
----- The active ingredient (capsaicin) is what gives hot peppers their "heat". I've used this for other aches before, but didn't do much for my PF. Worked well for everything else. Medium-High odor, probably not work safe.

Diclofenac Based wiki
- Voltaren - diclofenac diethylamine 1.16% w/w
----- This worked in a strange way for any pain I've used it on: the area no longer actively aches/hurts, but you are still aware that the pain is there. You can feel it's there, but it's not painful. It isn't numb though. Odd, but helped minimize the PF pain. Also - there is NO strong scent - it just smells a little like any sort of topical cream.

Methyl Salicylate Based Wiki
- Deep Relief - Methyl Salicylate 20%, Menthol 6%
----- Like the capsaicin based stuff, it worked anywhere but for my PF. It's more readily available and less expensive than Zostrix, but not nearly as strong (in potency or odor). Medium Scent, smells out of the bottle, but dissipates to a mild, lingering scent pretty quickly. Still wouldn't wear it at work though.
- Rub A535 "Sport" ultra heat - Methyl Salicylate 30%, Eucalyptus oil 3%
----- More potent than above, but smells considerably stronger. Works well everywhere else, but still no effect on PF

Menthol Based wiki
- Deep Relief "Joint Pain Relief" - Menthol 3%
----- Didn't work. Smells minty (duh), alcohol-y (has Isopropyl Alcohol in it), and is really cold to the touch. Absorbs well - feels like hand sanitizer.

Tiger Balm - too many ingredients to list wiki
- Tiger Balm Red
----- Works on PF, but indirectly. I found that applying it directly to the area didn't help, but applying it to my calf/achillies area helped loosen them up, taking some of the strain off. Also, does an amazing job on everything else. Great for post-race aches, or to deal with that lingering ache the night before a race. The downside is you can probably smell it on another floor. I kind of like the smell, but I could see how other people could find it offensive.

Maybe when I get home, I'll do some 1-10 based assessments in the areas of Pain Relief and Scent to standardize it a bit.

If you have any reviews, post them up - I'm sure a lot of us have used these sorts of products before, and we're sitting on a wealth of knowledge here.
Last edited by phorunner on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: The Pain-Cream Thread

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am

I used to use methyl salicylate containing creams like A535 or generic equivalents but my housemates complained about the smell. So now I get the odor-free versions which contain triethanolamine salicylate. It works just as well, and basically does the same job of delivering the analgesic medicine to the site.

I don't use them that often, but they do work pretty well for temporary relief.

I've also tried Arnica and it does nothing.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Jwolf wrote:I used to use methyl salicylate containing creams like A535 or generic equivalents but my housemates complained about the smell. So now I get the odor-free versions which contain triethanolamine salicylate. It works just as well, and basically does the same job of delivering the analgesic medicine to the site.

Yeah, have one of those too - just couldn't remember how to spell it and/or look it up online. Will add to the list too.

Jwolf wrote:I don't use them that often, but they do work pretty well for temporary relief.

Exactly. They're not cures, just temporary pain relief while you're giving the area a little extra attention.

Jwolf wrote:I've also tried Arnica and it does nothing.

lol. not sure why, but it made me laugh.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Have you tried Myoflex? Not sure what the active ingredient is.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

The Pain-Cream Thread

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:08 pm

La wrote:Have you tried Myoflex? Not sure what the active ingredient is.

triethanolamine salicylate- same as the odorless A535
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:Have you tried Myoflex? Not sure what the active ingredient is.

triethanolamine salicylate- same as the odorless A535

Trying that one now! My back hurts!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 pm

I use zostrix all the time but for nerve pain. Research shows that you need to use it 3 X a day for a few weeks before it works. Not sure how it would work for arthritis other then it burns and that may be all you feel! :roll:

On Kili we had a pharmacist who taught us a trick for sore muscles / minor strains which we all had with all the hiking, especially on Machame route. She would take an advil liquid gel, open it, and rub the liquid right on her ankle or where it hurt. On top of it she put tiger balm. She said the tiger balm penetrated and turned the advil from an ingested pain relief to a rub on one. I tried it a few times with various success. Never sure if it worked but, hey, she went to pharmacy school not me!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 am

I use 30% methyl salicilate (sp?) sometimes. I use DMSO when I"ve just abused myself.

Mostly I use Biofreeze because it feels cold for a really looooonnnnng time. I just bought a 32 oz bottle of Biofreeze. I think menthol is the only possible active ingredient which doesn't really do much but feels cold.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 am

I've used Tiger Balm on stiff and achey muscles. I, too, kinda like the smell. I used Myoflex as well as Voltaren on mild PF and achilles tendons. They both should have a mild anti-inflammatory effect, as well as some pain relief.

Once, I badly burned the tip of my thumb. I couldn't apply Myoflex directly to the burned area, so I rubbed some into the base of my thumb. It worked a treat on that pain, which had been pretty awful.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

rook

Postby rook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Nice thread!

I use arnica gel to reduce inflammation when I have knee pain or when I have a minor ligament tear. It doesn't help with the pain, but I think it might reduce inflammation.
Running Coach Team - Online Coaching for Runners

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I used Myoflex Maximum Strength all lastr week and it seemed to help.

I am unising Voltaren Emugel starting today and will use it this week.

Then I will compare the results.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 pm

rook wrote:Nice thread!

I use arnica gel to reduce inflammation when I have knee pain or when I have a minor ligament tear. It doesn't help with the pain, but I think it might reduce inflammation.

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/reality ... aumeel.php
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 am

fe.RMT wrote:

on that note - I am going for massage, but is there anything that would help speed up the process? I'm going to run out of benefits.

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:59 am

I love Volteren gel for my chronic ache (chest pain from costochondritis). It gives you a big bang for your buck as you get great effects for a very low total dose. My experience anyways, I'm sure it varies person to person.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

fe.RMT wrote:

Great post. I knew Arnica was bunk.

On a side note, I found a Chiro that was willing to just grind in there and fix the PF problem. Everyone was taking a more indirect approach, or just not going hard enough. This poor girl was sweating buckets. She mostly fixed it in one treatment - I have another one tomorrow.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:15 pm

New experiment: menthol or menthol and salicylate (sp?) stick on patches. You can feel the cool for a good long time.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:06 pm

TexasSpirit wrote:New experiment: menthol or menthol and salicylate (sp?) stick on patches. You can feel the cool for a good long time.

I tried one of the heat patches once, and didn't feel anything.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Ken B wrote:I used Myoflex Maximum Strength all lastr week and it seemed to help.

I am using Voltaren Emugel starting today and will use it this week.

Well , my hamstring is coming along nicely so I will report on the effects of treatment now. I found that the Myoflex Maximum Strength seemed to woirk quicker and last longer. But the most effective treatment for my problem ( which involved the nerves more that the muscle ) was the TENS machine I bought online . ( Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation ). The leg improved steadily from the first time I used it. I used it for 30 minutes at a time twice a day for awhile and now use it for 30 minutes once a day. There is still some discomfort but it is more an ache than a sharp pain.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 am

Ken B wrote:
Ken B wrote:I used Myoflex Maximum Strength all lastr week and it seemed to help.

Well , my hamstring is coming along nicely so I will report on the effects of treatment now. I found that the Myoflex Maximum Strength seemed to woirk quicker and last longer. But the most effective treatment for my problem ( which involved the nerves more that the muscle ) was the TENS machine I bought online . ( Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation ). The leg improved steadily from the first time I used it. I used it for 30 minutes at a time twice a day for awhile and now use it for 30 minutes once a day. There is still some discomfort but it is more an ache than a sharp pain.

Is that like Dr. Ho's?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri May 04, 2012 8:54 am

La wrote:
Ken B wrote:

Is that like Dr. Ho's?

Yes but dramatically less expensive!!!
This is where I bought it:

http://mywellcare.ca/tens_units

I purchased the Premier Stim Plus Digital TENS/EMS Combo Unit for $105

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Fri May 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Ken B wrote:
La wrote:
Ken B wrote:

Is that like Dr. Ho's?

Yes but dramatically less expensive!!!
This is where I bought it:

http://mywellcare.ca/tens_units

I purchased the Premier Stim Plus Digital TENS/EMS Combo Unit for $105

I got my Dr. Ho's on sale at one of those As Seen on TV stores on sale for $79 with a bunch of extra pads and stuff.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”