Pulled Hamstring

The grisly details and tales of the road back

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Pulled Hamstring

Postby getfit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Well, just a few weeks to go until ATB and I've pulled my right hamstring doing speed work :evil: :( I am extremely bummed out about this because up until now training has been going really well, especially considering I was able to come back from having a 3 week flu over Christmas holidays. I haven't gone to see physio yet, but I'm planning to this week. Just wondering, has anyone had a similar injury? How long did it take you to recover? I don't think it's a bad pull, it doesn't hurt when I massage it, but it starts hurting when I walk on it for any length of time or try to run. I have been icing regularly and using the foam roller. After doing some internet reading on hamstring injuries I'm beginning to wonder if my plans to run ATB are up in smoke :(
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Re: Pulled Hamstring

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 am

I've had a hamstring tear that took 6 weeks with a lot of PT to recover from. The key is keep icing and after the itinial pain has subsided, in a week or so, very gently keep it stretched to prevent scar tissue tightening up. I was a allowed really gentle jogging after a couple of weeks, as long as there was no pain. Let pain be your guide to everything you do for the next few weeks - at the slightest discomfort, stop. Don't do any speed work!

I did all this through a physio - I'd recommend the same for you.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 am

Mark's advice is good. I've had a handful of minor pulls over the years, often during racing season. If the damage isn't too great, you might find that the pain will subside over the next week, in which case slow running might be possible. Faster paces will be off the table for awhile.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:47 pm

ian wrote:Mark's advice is good. I've had a handful of minor pulls over the years, often during racing season. If the damage isn't too great, you might find that the pain will subside over the next week, in which case slow running might be possible. Faster paces will be off the table for awhile.

+1

A hamstring "pull" is just minor tear where only a small amount of the muscle fibres are torn.

I had this a few summers ago, and after about a week's rest I just needed to cut back on fast running for a while. I could run easy but as soon as I picked up the pace, it would hurt again. So give it some rest and see if you can run easy without pain (but stop at the first sign of pain-- usually this type of pain doesn't subside as you "loosen up"). Don't do any more hills!

I would be that you can still do ATB, but just modify your training between now and then.

I didn't do any physio but my chiro recommended some stretches that helped a lot.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I have an appt. with physio on Thurs., so hopefully he'll be able to determine the extent of the injury. Resting my leg and not being able to run is driving me batty. I keep thinking about all the fitness I am losing every day I can't run. I did some upper body weights tonight, so at least I felt like I was doing something active. I still really want to run ATB, but the fact that it's 30km w/ hills has me pretty nervous.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:54 am

Do you have access to a stationary bike or elliptical? Those can be good substitutes if you can't run. Also, stretching of the surrounding & opposite muscles is good, but I wouldn't try stretching the injured muscle, otherwise you could re-injure it. An RMT might be able to help with this.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”