Strained Calf -->Physio? Massage? or Both?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Strained Calf -->Physio? Massage? or Both?

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am

A couple weeks ago I was running home from work when my calf suddenly seized up and I nearly fell down. There was no warning sign at all that this was coming - no tightness, cramps, nothing. The pain was intense and I could barely put pressure on it to walk and I nearly had to call my DH to come and pick me up. But after bit of very gentle stretching and slow walking I was able to get moving again and walk the rest of the way home. I was two weeks out from a half marathon with my last long run of 12 miles already done. I figured the miles were in the bank and decided to play it safe and not run on it again until it was healed up and I had absolutely NO pain whatsoever.

Fast forward to Sunday and the Winnipeg Police Services Half Marathon. My calf was feeling fine - I could extend and contract the muscle completely with no discomfort whatsoever. I'd also been walking and biking with no pain as well as gentle stretching, calf raises etc over the last week and a half. I thought that I would have no issue with the race and headed off for a short warm-up run with my brother before the race began. I felt some slight tugging during the warmup and vowed to take it really slow. Two miles into the race the pain came right back and by mile 4 I had to pull out of the race completely. :( :( :(

Ice and heat during the day helped but it is still quite painful. I picked up some compression calf sleeves which are doing amazing things for me right now. 8)

But my question is, as I've never had this issue to deal with before, should I see a massage therapist or physiotherapist or both? I'm not sure which is the best option for me. I don't want to "think" it's healed up again and start running on it and wreck my entire running season. As it is I don't know when it is going to be safe for me to run again...

Thoughts anyone?
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Strained Calf -->Physio? Massage? or Both?

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 am

Personally, I would start with RMT since it appears to be muscular. Often they can get the muscles to relax and loosen, and that might be all you need. If you need physio, the RMT will refer you.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 08, 2012 10:40 am

And it goes without saying: think carefully about whether anything has changed. Shoes?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

ultraslacker wrote:And it goes without saying: think carefully about whether anything has changed. Shoes?

That's what's so odd...same shoes, same running routes, same schedules...no other new activities introduced that may have impacted that muscles....bah!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I had a minor tear in my calf in 2009, and found that massage and ice are very helpful. Unfortunately it never gets back to 100 percent. It is something I have to manage carefully. Aggressive treatment as well as plenty of recovery time are important steps tp reduce the recurrence of injury. Be nice to your calf.
Unfortunately I must have let things slide because mine has been very sore and tight all week. I can't run right now, even walking is somewhat painful. :(
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”