On the shelf

The grisly details and tales of the road back

DougG
Jerome Drayton

On the shelf

Postby DougG » Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 am

It seems that my chronic achilles and calf (both on the right leg) are acting up again. Extremely tight and sore, although not the sharp pain of a tear, and it has been this way for a couple of months. I can only run a few km at a time. :( I have decided to set running aside for now, which is a shame because there are several great races in this area over the next 2 months. I have taken short breaks, then come back, but nothing seems to have worked. I think complete rest is the best things.
I will stick to cycling and golf.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

On the shelf

Postby Jwolf » Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 am

That sucks, Doug. :(

Have you tried some sort of release therapy like ART? Sometimes rest doesn't help and only serves to tighten the tissue more- then when you go to run again you damage it again.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Re: On the shelf

Postby DougG » Sun May 27, 2012 7:28 am

I haven't yet Jen, I should investigate that. Thanks for the suggestion.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 am

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find someone to help you with that, like suggested! Maybe your comeback will be sooner...take care!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu May 31, 2012 12:42 pm

Ouch!

Heal up soon :(
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am

Hanging up the running is sad. But I fully approve the alternative sports...

FORE!!!
The Summer of Eng is over.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm in the "can't run" camp, and have been, for a couple of years now! They still let you stick around here, even though you don't run. :wink: Loving my cycling! Bought new clubs last fall, but haven't used them even once. :oops:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:10 pm

trixiee wrote:I'm in the "can't run" camp, and have been, for a couple of years now! They still let you stick around here, even though you don't run. :wink: Loving my cycling! Bought new clubs last fall, but haven't used them even once. :oops:

Maybe Doug and I need to fix that.
The Summer of Eng is over.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 pm

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Maybe Doug and I need to fix that
:-BD
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey Doug, I'm just reading this thread now. I'm wondering, since your injuries always seem to be on the one side have you ever had your leg length measured? The reason I ask is because I suffered with hip pain off and on for a couple of years after I started running. Then I suffered with IT Band and it was on the same side. I decided to get orthotics and when she measured my leg length noticed that one leg was 1/4 inch shorter. Doesn't seem like much, but when I had my orthotics made she put a tiny lift in my running shoe. It really made a difference. I still get some twinging pain in my hip after a long run, but nothing like before. Take care and hope you're back out running soon :D
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Having almost a year without running and being a avid golfer, the thing that worked for me was strength training through weights. I am hitting the ball as far as I ever have and been able to get out of the rough. But more to the topic at hand, the little aches and pains that would flare up are no longer there when I make sure I do weights at least once a week. As I am a bigger guy, 5' 11" and now 200 pounds, I think I need the extra strength and support to be able to run.

And when getting back into running, I would go for long walks with the odd jog thrown in and I would walk if there was even the slightest hint of pain.

And with the running, most of it is 'slow' but that also seems to be a lot less stress on my body.

And there is love hate of the foam roller - hate the pain when doing it but love the results.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Joanne, DStew, thanks for the tips :D I have had a couple of slow, easy runs and they were ok. Here's hoping they were sign of good things :pray: I am keeping my fitness up by walking the golf course most of the time, and cycling with the Barrie Cycling Club. Dstew, I have started on the weights again, my strength has decreased quite bit in the past year or two (getting old sucks :shock: ), and it is noticeable trying to get out the rough. I have lost some distance off the tee, but every once in awhile I can crank one out there past the young kids. :P
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

On the shelf

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Good to hear, Doug! Remember- do LESS than you think you can do and build from there.

I have found myself in exactly your shoes (no pun intended!). My Achilles has given me grief before but never enough to stop running- this time I had to take some time off. ART didn't help, but physio is giving me some relief- mostly I'm just giving it time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 pm

what do you mean by physio JW?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

On the shelf

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 pm

UltraSpirit wrote:what do you mean by physio JW?

physio = "physiotherapy" which is what you call "physical therapy" in the U.S. My therapist does a combination of manual therapy (massage and release) and machines/tools (IFC, ultrasound) as well as therapeutic acupuncture. She also gives me exercises for strengthening and stretching and eventually a back-to-run program (although I did that on my own last time). She also using taping for support.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:45 am

Jwolf wrote:

physio = "physiotherapy" which is what you call "physical therapy" in the U.S. My therapist does a combination of manual therapy (massage and release) and machines/tools (IFC, ultrasound) as well as therapeutic acupuncture. She also gives me exercises for strengthening and stretching and eventually a back-to-run program (although I did that on my own last time). She also using taping for support.

thanks. physical therapy is a very broad term. I was thinking about going to an acupuncture place. My ART/Graston doc also given me exercises which I think will help tons; but they take time to build up. I don't think I can ignore the strength end of things anymore. But some rest always makes things better.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 am

UltraSpirit wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

thanks. physical therapy is a very broad term. I was thinking about going to an acupuncture place. My ART/Graston doc also given me exercises which I think will help tons; but they take time to build up. I don't think I can ignore the strength end of things anymore. But some rest always makes things better.

What I meant was that the designation of "physiotherapist" here = "physical therapist" in the U.S. They are official designations, but yes, they do a wide variety of things. Some seem to overlap with what some chiropractors and massage therapists do. As with any, it helps to find someone with whom you have a good rapport. ART and Graston are sometimes performed by physiotherapists or physicians here, but most often by chiropractors. My chiropractor gives me some stretches and strengthening ideas, but not as regimented as my physio.

She also does acupuncture but in a therapeutic way, not like the traditional Chinese medicine doctors.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

DougG wrote:Joanne, DStew, thanks for the tips :D I have had a couple of slow, easy runs and they were ok. Here's hoping they were sign of good things :pray: I am keeping my fitness up by walking the golf course most of the time, and cycling with the Barrie Cycling Club. Dstew, I have started on the weights again, my strength has decreased quite bit in the past year or two (getting old sucks :shock: ), and it is noticeable trying to get out the rough. I have lost some distance off the tee, but every once in awhile I can crank one out there past the young kids. :P

Hitting the ball out of the rough was exactly where I found my problem.

The funny thing about me getting back into strength training with the weights was that it had nothing to do with either golf or running. From about the middle of 2010 and through 2011 I was absolutely swamped at work. 12 + hour days and no time for much activity so my energy was sugar based products. My running weight of around 180-185 went up to 210 pounds. Then I was asked to mentor a new hire and she was at the gym so often she decided to become a fitness instructor. We started to talk about her routine, etc and so I decided to see if I could shape my body into that of a Greek God. As it turns out, when I did a lot of heavy weights my body became more like that of a Bulgarian weight lifter. But with the new muscle I could actually start to run again. And this spring when I started golfing, I was flying the green and the rough was no longer an issue.

I am not lifting as much but at least once a week I am doing the basics: squats, etc and it seems to make a world of difference. It seems that many of the leg routines also stretch the muscles in a good way and that cannot but help.

I have my Garmin and I am still not use to using something to slow me down rather than to make sure I am running fast enough but for me, that is working miracles. And one thing I am not doing based upon a post on a different forum some time ago is no ice, no meds. Based upon some research and my best guess is that for me it works in two ways. It slows me down because if I am a little stiff and sore my body is not going to allow me to push too hard whereas before I would ice and use anti-inflammatories to get through the pain and push hard. Plus it does seem to force my body to adapt quicker and on its own. I suppose it is hard to listen to your body when it is doped up but how that I am truly listening to my body, my running has never been better.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

. decided to see if I could shape my body into that of a Greek God. As it turns out, when I did a lot of heavy weights my body became more like that of a Bulgarian weight lifter.
:lol: :lol:
I keep my weights simple, and my back won't let me do squats with anything other than very light weights.
Your comments about work ring true, well except for mentoring a fitness instructor :roll: :wink: there have been many long days. That damn job gets in the way of my fun!
I don't take anti inflammatories either, but ice is a must for me.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 pm

After thinking back on my summer, I realized that while my weight is at its lowest in 20 years :D ,I lost my upper body. A couple of people commented how thin I looked, and they are right; my neck and shoulders look so scrawny. Hitting out of the rough - which I was in often..lol - became tougher, and I noticed other activities were a bit harder to accomplish. It can't all be from turning 50, can it? :cry: The lightbulb finally went on...it is time to lift weights. I have been on a program for about 6 weeks now, and it is not designed to get me bulked up, but to build strength.When I look, I can see the feint trace of a muscle... :P It has helped, I feel stronger and while I have put 4-5 pounds back on, I am still about 180lbs. I hope by working my core and legs that I will see the benefits in my running.
My objective this winter will be to continue building my strength and slowly building a running base. If nothing else I will feel better, while my times and golf score will hopefully follow.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Sounds like a reasonable, intelligent goal Doug. I, too am in the 50 group (52.5) and have been told that strength training will help me through the aging process. Though, I have different problems, I miss running with regular goals and have signed up with hubby for the relay at ATB. Maybe we will met up.
Good luck.
Jill
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 am

JSmitty wrote:Sounds like a reasonable, intelligent goal Doug. I, too am in the 50 group (52.5) and have been told that strength training will help me through the aging process. Though, I have different problems, I miss running with regular goals and have signed up with hubby for the relay at ATB. Maybe we will met up.
Good luck.
Jill

I hope so Jill. :pray:
My next goal is to complete a 5k in the Snowflake Series in under 30 minutes next month (times have changed eh?! :oops: ), and if all goes well complete the New Year's Day 10k.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:28 pm

DougG wrote:

After thinking back on my summer, I realized that while my weight is at its lowest in 20 years :D ,I lost my upper body. A couple of people commented how thin I looked, and they are right; my neck and shoulders look so scrawny. Hitting out of the rough - which I was in often..lol - became tougher, and I noticed other activities were a bit harder to accomplish. It can't all be from turning 50, can it? :cry: The lightbulb finally went on...it is time to lift weights. I have been on a program for about 6 weeks now, and it is not designed to get me bulked up, but to build strength.When I look, I can see the feint trace of a muscle... :P It has helped, I feel stronger and while I have put 4-5 pounds back on, I am still about 180lbs. I hope by working my core and legs that I will see the benefits in my running.
My objective this winter will be to continue building my strength and slowly building a running base. If nothing else I will feel better, while my times and golf score will hopefully follow.

Been there and did that last winter. Now I was too fat but same principle as I had lost my upper body strength and with a winter of working out, I stopped losing distance and maybe even gained some distance and more accuracy. In addition, I was able to hit the ball out of the rough with regular success.

A Bosu ball with the following DVD has helped:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosu-Sports-Condi ... B000X03OQY

The kettlebell work out also seems to really help the golf muscles.

Was able to run without pain but then started to substitute runs for weights and oddly enough, the old injuries are aggravated. My goal is to continue with regular use of weights on a year round basis and if that costs me a few minutes in a marathon, so be it.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”