Mild left knee pain

The grisly details and tales of the road back

M_spawn86

Mild left knee pain

Postby M_spawn86 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Hello,
I'm quite new to running and i really love this sport, i began running 3 months ago. and sicne the last 2 or 3 weeks i began feeling mild left knee pain. now the pain is pretty mild. like just couple of minutes it happen sometimes when i run and most of the time happens when i'm not running. The pain that i feel happen when i squat after sleeping i can feel the pain and after taking few steps not more than 5 or 6 steps after the squating the pain fades completely. that's pretty much what i've been feeling.
i run 3 to 4 times a week for a distance of 2.5 miles each time. and most of the times my warming up period is like 10-15 mins. and i use professional running shoes.
any help, or guidance??
thanks alot.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: Mild left knee pain

Postby Avis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Welcome to Running Mania. All I can advise is that knees are complicated. Certain knee pains are not a big worry and others can stop you from running completely for a long period of time if they are not promptly treated. In my own case, my minor knee issues were largely resolved by proper stretching of my quads. Try stretching after your runs, if you don't already, and see if that helps. If problem persists, consider consulting with a professional.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

M_spawn86

Postby M_spawn86 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello Avis thanks for taking the time to replay at me, i've stopped running since last Thursday and planning to keep doing so till the next Monday i'm doing around 200 stretches per day, now the pain even though it's quite mild but i feel it when, i apply some weight on the knee the last for like 2 minutes, and when i bend it. so based on you experience do you think it's a stretching problem or something a bit bigger than that??
thanks alot

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 am

M_spawn86 wrote:Hello Avis thanks for taking the time to replay at me, i've stopped running since last Thursday and planning to keep doing so till the next Monday i'm doing around 200 stretches per day, now the pain even though it's quite mild but i feel it when, i apply some weight on the knee the last for like 2 minutes, and when i bend it. so based on you experience do you think it's a stretching problem or something a bit bigger than that??
thanks alot

Gees, that doesn't sound good. Two hundred stretches sounds like over-doing it. The most I've ever had recommended (for shin splints) was to hold the stretch 30-40 seconds, 3 times per leg, 3 times a day. If you are doing the stretches incorrectly, you can end up hurting your knee even more. If it were me, I would go to my physiotherapist. He/she could check the knee, and at the very least, show how to stretch properly, so that you aren't inflicting more damage. If you don't have a physiotherapist, ask other runners, or even ask at your local running store. If there is a university near you, it may have a sports med clinic, which is another option. In the meantime, take it easy!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Mild left knee pain

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Avis wrote:
M_spawn86 wrote:Hello Avis thanks for taking the time to replay at me, i've stopped running since last Thursday and planning to keep doing so till the next Monday i'm doing around 200 stretches per day, now the pain even though it's quite mild but i feel it when, i apply some weight on the knee the last for like 2 minutes, and when i bend it. so based on you experience do you think it's a stretching problem or something a bit bigger than that??
thanks alot

Gees, that doesn't sound good. Two hundred stretches sounds like over-doing it. The most I've ever had recommended (for shin splints) was to hold the stretch 30-40 seconds, 3 times per leg, 3 times a day. If you are doing the stretches incorrectly, you can end up hurting your knee even more. If it were me, I would go to my physiotherapist. He/she could check the knee, and at the very least, show how to stretch properly, so that you aren't inflicting more damage. If you don't have a physiotherapist, ask other runners, or even ask at your local running store. If there is a university near you, it may have a sports med clinic, which is another option. In the meantime, take it easy!

good advice from Avis!

I'm hoping 200 stretches was an exaggeration...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”