Injuries and self-care research

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Trish_C
Percy Williams

Injuries and self-care research

Postby Trish_C » Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 am

Hi everyone. I am a PhD student at the University of Calgary and an active runner. My research involves looking at self-care practices and the interplay between expert and lay medical knowledge. I am most interested in the exchange of knowledge that occurs in online forums like yours where everyone shares a mixture of experiential and medical expertise. I have received ethics approval for my project from both the University of Calgary and Red Deer College, and I am about to start my primary research, part of which involves looking at the injury forum of your website. Over the next few months, I'll be participating in the forum and then later asking for some volunteers for face-to-face interviews. Some of my observations will be recorded and reported in my research. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Last edited by Trish_C on Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Injuries and self-care research

Postby La » Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Trish_C wrote:where everyone shares a mixture of experiential and medical expertise.

There's no shortage of that here! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Interesting! My husband (PhD candidate in exercise physiology) and I were just talking about this phenomenon over the weekend in reference to an email list I'm on (TriRudy) where there was a recent discussion about concussions.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 pm

La wrote:
Trish_C wrote:where everyone shares a mixture of experiential and medical expertise.

There's no shortage of that here! :lol:

Yep....you've come to the right place :lol: :lol:

Ummm...will you give Running Mania a big thank you credit in your thesis :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Are you interested in what lay people believe versus accepted medical knowledge, whether or not lay people change their beliefs based on the arguments or evidence presented by experts, the outcomes of particular treatments...

What is your definition of an expert? I ask because practitioners in different fields will often have very different ideas of how to treat an injury.

Trish_C
Percy Williams

Postby Trish_C » Tue May 07, 2013 12:02 pm

You've touched on a really important point in terms of multiple forms of expertise, even within the medical community (doctors, athletic therapists, physios, chiropractors, etc.). One of the things that sites like this do is allow people to share and to negotiate what we hear from experts (in this case, in light of our experiential expertise as runners) in our attempts to look after our own health. In this way, we as laypersons participate in creating knowledge rather than just accepting uncritically what various experts tell us.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Interesting project idea, Trish. I think it's important for all of us, when injured or in trying to prevent injury, to draw information from many sources to figure out what works for us. It's often frustrating because you can sometimes get opposite conflicting advice.

In some ways I feel like I could write the book on injuries; in other ways I feel like I know nothing.
Last edited by Jwolf on Tue May 07, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Trish, I'd be happy to participate (I'm in Calgary so the face to face is easy). Unfortunately I don't participate in the injury section much because (a) I'm not usually injured and (b) when I am injured I rarely want advice that isn't "keep running". Good luck!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”