Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss, FP.

pts, I agree you could try. 4 weeks after my c-section I tried and it was too early and I figured that out pretty quickly. So I waited four more weeks and was fine. Give the walk/run a try!

Jes, Hamilton is a quieter course for sure but very very fast! I am so excited for you and IronColl and Tori and your fall goals. Wootwoot!

Isaiah's eye teeth are almost through. He has so many teeth it is crazy---he got 8 in the past 6 weeks. (so nice of him to start getting a million teeth at the same time I went back to work)

Auntie Deerdree will be watching Isaiah while I run on Sunday! Awesome!!!!! (daddy is away) I am running the Mississauga Half in two weeks.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I am looking forward to Damon getting more efficient with eating. I feel like I am constantly on the couch with my boob out. And I have had two neighbours now, when I go to cover up, say "Oh I don't mind, it doesn't bother me." That's nice, it's still my breast.

Damon has been great at night, but John has been waking up screaming and not settling back down. I think it's emotional, but it's getting to the point where we almost wish there was some kind of toddler sedative so we could get some sleep. :roll:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:07 pm

FishPants wrote:Damon has been great at night, but John has been waking up screaming and not settling back down. I think it's emotional, but it's getting to the point where we almost wish there was some kind of toddler sedative so we could get some sleep. :roll:

Oh, man - I just had a flashback to when Hamster #2 was born! Hamster #1 had just turned 2, and his sleep totally fell off the rails for a while like that. he'd wake up shrieking and scared, then couldn't get back to sleep. Between a new baby and a toddler who wouldn't sleep without one of us in the room, I thought that I might die of sleep deprivation. Time helped, but so did a "night-time wake up routine" (like his bedtime routine) where we'd calm him down, tell him the scary dream was gone, get him a drink of water, then tuck him back in. Sometimes we'd just climb into his bed and pass out asleep :lol: that was when we bought him a big boy bed, more for us than him.

Good luck - it's a tough time, but it passed fairly quickly for us.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Good to hear it is normal :)

His current crib converts to a toddler bed, but I am pretty sure its weight limit is less than either Dan or I!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 am

FP- sorry to hear about the sleep issues. :(

I RAN yesterday, 3 X 2:1's. My hip is really sore today though, so I think I will wait another week before trying again. :(
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 am

jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:Sara - thinking of you guys. ((hugs))

Prats - I've described myself as feeling "squishy" these days - everything seems mushier than it did before!

Some of you may have seen my post on FB about our walk yesterday - we started off on a windy but sunny walk - DH carrying C in the wrap. A few blocks from home, it started to drizzle - we picked up our pace, but couldn't exactly start running. About two minutes later, the sky opened up and we got drenched! Wind was whipping everyone's recycling bins around - it was quite the sight - trying to get to the house, while keeping the baby from being hit by flying plastic containers!

I'm glad C was in the wrap! I had visions of you out alone trying to hold on to a stroller! It was very Wizard of Oz in my head!

That was what I thought too!

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 am

pts wrote:FP- sorry to hear about the sleep issues. :(

I RAN yesterday, 3 X 2:1's. My hip is really sore today though, so I think I will wait another week before trying again. :(

Good job! NO worries, it will come back quickly enough when you start. Don't be afraid of REALLY starting again ie running 30 sec at a time.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 am

toobusy wrote:
pts wrote:FP- sorry to hear about the sleep issues. :(

Good job! NO worries, it will come back quickly enough when you start. Don't be afraid of REALLY starting again ie running 30 sec at a time.

Great job pts! Toobusy is right, put the ego in check and listen to your body. I found it hard to do that at the beginning, but even our HRM Boston runner started slow.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 01, 2011 12:32 pm

It was brave of you to try Pts! It took me months to even think about trying! I'm sure another week or two will make a huge difference!

I ran 18k this morning :dance: :dance: :dance:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 pm

jes wrote:It was brave of you to try Pts! It took me months to even think about trying! I'm sure another week or two will make a huge difference!

I ran 18k this morning :dance: :dance: :dance:

Way to go LadyJ! (you will always be LadyJ to me!)

I ran this morning - first time in about 2 weeks - the first week I took off due to a sore hip and time issues. The second week, well, I just didn't feel like running or bringing my running stuff away with us during our trip "home."

So, 5.75 km this morning - close to 7 min/km. My hip still feels it, but, I think it will be fine tomorrow.

I realized over the last 2 weeks that I'm in a similar spot as I was when Delilah was 4 months old - I realized that I will run when I want to.......and that's about it. I am teaching the next half marathon clinic that starts in a month....so, I need to be ready for that! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun May 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Irongirl wrote:I realized over the last 2 weeks that I'm in a similar spot as I was when Delilah was 4 months old - I realized that I will run when I want to.......and that's about it. I am teaching the next half marathon clinic that starts in a month....so, I need to be ready for that! :)

And I am the opposite! This time post Cait I was a half marathon finisher, although my body suffered for months after. Good on ya for running today!

jes wrote:I ran 18k this morning :dance: :dance: :dance:

Awesome job jes!Well on your way to rock your marathon. Do you have anything else on your radar before that?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Wow, a good showing of running/walking this weekend by the HRM's..Jes, Irongirl, Ironcoll, pts, scrummy! I ran today too! Got out to the RR today for 29.9K. Good thing I did as well because there's no way I would have been able to knock that out myself. But I ran too fast. I been going out with a group that's a bit too fast for me. Oh well, training is almost over.

SOrry about your grandfather FP :( .

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun May 01, 2011 2:50 pm

AndyM wrote:Wow, a good showing of running/walking this weekend by the HRM's..Jes, Irongirl, Ironcoll, pts, scrummy! I ran today too! Got out to the RR today for 29.9K. Good thing I did as well because there's no way I would have been able to knock that out myself. But I ran too fast. I been going out with a group that's a bit too fast for me. Oh well, training is almost over.

and anners and lightning! very inspiring to a hot lazy-running auntie! :oops: :lol: you guys rock!

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 pm

deerdree wrote:
AndyM wrote:Wow, a good showing of running/walking this weekend by the HRM's..Jes, Irongirl, Ironcoll, pts, scrummy! I ran today too! Got out to the RR today for 29.9K. Good thing I did as well because there's no way I would have been able to knock that out myself. But I ran too fast. I been going out with a group that's a bit too fast for me. Oh well, training is almost over.

and anners and lightning! very inspiring to a hot lazy-running auntie! :oops: :lol: you guys rock!

Indeed, amazing work, ladies!

pts- Atta girl getting out when, to me at least, it seems like you gave birth to M about 15 minutes ago. Wise to listen to your body, though...you'll get there!

jes- Amazing! Is that your longest run PP?

anners - saw your post on FB re V helping you choose your running gear - too cute!

IG - Nice work! Sounds like a good head space to be in, too...though the half clinic will force you to maintain a certain base, I spose.

AndyM - Good Gawd, woman, ROUND THAT UP! You ran 30k today. Which is just...astounding.

AFM, I am in the homestretch of election widowdom - YAAAAY! I celebrated w. a 20k run in the sunshine while my brother and sis-in-law babysat...first 10k easy, the second half at/slightly faster than race pace. Felt amazing. It's been a challenge getting my long runs in with P away, but I should manage not to totally embarrass myself on ORW. Hopefully.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Good running today ladies!

Yes, today was my longest run post baby. It felt really, really good! I ran with a RR group 'cause I wanted the company - we chatted the whole time and it just flew by! I was actually only supposed to do 14k, but I was feelin' good, so I continued on with them to 18k.

Nice running into you this morning AndyM! Good job on the 30k run (I agree with Jess, you need to round that up!)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm

deerdree wrote:

Oh yes, of course anners and lightning. Calling everyone out was hopefully motivation for all those I hadn't mentioned to come out and post what fab HRM activity they did :lol: . And hot running aunties need rest days too. :P

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm

So sorry to hear about your grandpa, FP.

Congrats to everyone on the running! Especially pts - glad you survived the first run in the war on blobbiness (also a word), and if the next shot doesn't occur for awhile, you've earned some time off!

My partner ran her first post-baby goal race today at the Sporting Life 10K and did great considering she didn't get to train as much as she wanted to. She said it felt great to be back out there, and she said she realized it was one of the few times in recent months that she was doing something completely by and for herself - without me or Zain around.
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm

AndyM wrote:
deerdree wrote:

Oh yes, of course anners and lightning. Calling everyone out was hopefully motivation for all those I hadn't mentioned to come out and post what fab HRM activity they did :lol: . And hot running aunties need rest days too. :P

Ha, AndyM. Auntie babysat Isaiah for me so I could go. 17k done; quite happy with today's run. Geobandito, congrats to your partner! Glad the race went well for her.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Some awesome running today, HRMs!

I just did 45min with the stroller. Nothing major. Recently, V has figured out how to open my dresser drawers and enjoys pulling all my clothes out. I was having a blah day today and was lying on the floor when V brought over one of my running shirts and dropped it on me. That was enough motivation to get me up and out the door :) I should have worn the shirt she gave me though, because I decided to wear a long sleeve instead and I overheated :P

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 01, 2011 9:10 pm

anners wrote:Some awesome running today, HRMs!

I just did 45min with the stroller. Nothing major. Recently, V has figured out how to open my dresser drawers and enjoys pulling all my clothes out. I was having a blah day today and was lying on the floor when V brought over one of my running shirts and dropped it on me. That was enough motivation to get me up and out the door :) I should have worn the shirt she gave me though, because I decided to wear a long sleeve instead and I overheated :P

That's awesome!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Yay for all of us who made it out there. Jes, I also did my longest post partum run.
Congratulations to your partner, geobandito!

...seriously happy here to be running outside! 8)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm living vicariously through all you HRM :) I am taking it slow and easy, and am in no rush to get back. I am still having problems with walking too far. Tomorrow, we are going to walk to the polls (assuming both kids cooperate) and see how it goes, and how I feel. I am still dealing with stitches...

I am feeling more at peace about my Grandpa. My uncle set up a memorial site, and reading the stories and memories posted by other family members has been heartwarming, and has caused many smiles. It also helps to have a new guy to snuggle!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 am

Just to vent a little...

Why does teething have to suck so much?! And it never ends!

My poor DD was up three times last night - stuffy and hurting. We even gave her a dose of baby tylenol before bed she's been so miserable. And at 4am, the 3rd time I stumbled into her room, the poor girl just looked up at me, put her hand on her cheek and said "owie, mummy" :(

Needless to say, this morning's 5am run never happened.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 am

Yay for all that awesome running, and BOOOO to teething.

Ok, not related to running, but a question for you mommas. G has a birthday party on wednesday and it said "no gifts please". Last time we went to a party with no gifts specified, we were the ONLY people who did not take a gift. It was a bit embarassing since we then felt terrible for not taking a gift. I totally get the 'no gift' thing since I did that for G's birthday. But, now I am questioning if we should or shouldn't take a gift. I was thinking of getting some books that I want to get G anyway, and popping the gift in the diaper bag. Then if people get gifts I will have one and if not, it is something I can just keep and use (since you can never have too many books!).

Good idea, or do I stick to the 'no gifts' thing no matter what?! WWYD?
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 02, 2011 11:54 am

The invite said 'no gifts'? Then I wouldn't get one. I wouldn't be embarrassed about it...you're the only one who respected the parent's wishes!

Return to “The Scenic Route”