Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm

For those of you with 3 year old boys, what is a good birthday gift for a 3yo boy (I have never been to their house so don't even know what he has/likes etc.)?

I don't see his family having the same toy taste as I do, so it is a hard one (and I usually get books but I am not sure they would be appreciated by this three year old).
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:13 pm

i was going to say books - appreciated or not, I don't think you can ever go wrong with books - trains and dinosaurs, especially (books on trains and dinosaurs).
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Pts - Anything with wheels :lol:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:31 pm

FishPants wrote:I can start running TOMORROW! YAY!!

Good... :lol:

I did a Babyworx class this morning and really pushed myself. Mainly for myself, but there are at least four moms there that take my class so I wanted them to see that I can take it as well as I can give it. I liked the instructor. We have similar styles. And the class went fast!

Yay for everyone who is running. I made it through my 4 runs last week and almost 40km.

Hugs for the moms working out of the house. I don't know how you balance everything. I am in awe of you.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

pts wrote:For those of you with 3 year old boys, what is a good birthday gift for a 3yo boy (I have never been to their house so don't even know what he has/likes etc.)?

I don't see his family having the same toy taste as I do, so it is a hard one (and I usually get books but I am not sure they would be appreciated by this three year old).

ditto anything with wheels. Something with wheels and a book to tie into it would be good. I have yet to find a little boy (or girl, in my house :lol: ) who doesn't like Thomas the tank engine. The little wooden Thomas trains are reasonably priced, and there are all sorts of Thomas books you could get.

Or Duplo. Around the age of 3, they suddely get the coordination and imagination to start building things. My son now builds train stations and platforms for his Thomas trains with Duplo bricks, and I'm always impressed at how creative (and indestructible) they are. There are different sized sets, so whatever your budget, you can usually find one. And with Duplo, it doesn't matter if they've already got some (or even the same set) - you can always play with more!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 pm

pts wrote:For those of you with 3 year old boys, what is a good birthday gift for a 3yo boy (I have never been to their house so don't even know what he has/likes etc.)?

At our house it is anything related to Transformers, Cars or power tools. :lol:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:00 pm

La la la...I can't hear you guys talking about going back to work...la la la...

Fishpants - good luck on the run! It'll likely be slow and hard, but hey, you'll be running!!

Z and I did hills this morning before the day got too hot. Except it was already hot at 7am. But some nice soul had put their sprinkler out so that it was spraying the sidewalk.Normally I'd be annoyed by that, but I stood it every time I passed during my hill loop :)

Then we had a play date with IG and crew, lunch with Joe and Nana, and then play group at Early Years. I am exhausted!!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Craft supplies tend to be my go to when i don't know what else to get. Pipecleaners, pompoms, coloured popsicles sticks, stickers, etc. Even if he has lots, more is always good! That being said anything Thomas or Cars is a winner here. But it would be hard to by a train for this house that we don't already have. Between granny and lots of rewards for potty training, we're pretty well stocked.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I think we will go with duplo. G must be the only child not into trains from the sounds of it (although diggers, tractors etc are super cool).

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:46 pm

guys! guys! I RAN!

A teeny bit yesterday in babyworks, and today I did some 30-40 second intervals on the treadmill. It felt so nice to run again!! Looking forward to getting outside (if the mosquitoes improve..)

I also have a line on a free treadmill!! My neighbour wants to get rid of hers (it's a clotheshanger) and I mentioned I needed one. She is happy to pass hers to me, we would just need to move it from her upstairs, down the street and into my basement. Now I just need to find some big, strong men...(or, as my phone mistyped to Colleen, "ape neighbours")

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Woohoooo FP! For running AND a free treadmill! :dance:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

WOooohoooooo FP!! So happy for you on both counts! :)

I ran 50 minutes today and it was soooo slow and hard and just icky :( It was the third day of consecutive running for me (although the other two days I only ran 15 minutes) and my legs were sore. But, I wanted to bail at 20 minutes, then at 30 minutes, then at 45 but I stuck it out to 50, so that has to count for something. Although, I found out I only ran 6.5k so it was really slow. I am re-thinking my 10k in August based on this one.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Yay for running FP and pts! And for free treadmills!

Pts, I think you can still do a 10k in Aug. As long as you go into it with realistic expectations, you should be fine!

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Yay, FP! Congrats on the first run. And way to go, pts. Your race is still a long way away. Five weeks?
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:39 am

pts, you are running so amazing; do NOT give up on your goal of a 10k. Totally doable, and one bad run does not make one a bad runner!!!! So proud of your accomplishments. In fact, and not to take anything away from our single-child mommies, but I do think more than one kid and running is FREAKING AWESOME. Mad crazy props to FP, IronColl, Hammie, pts, Irongirl, Kristi...have I missed any multi-kid HRM? My one 16 month old toddler is so so so active I can not imagine another child and running like you all do. A complete and total inspiration!!!!

FP, super proud of you!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 am

Hurray FP for running. Good for you!

Pts - it's okay to have a crappy run. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Why not decide that week if the goal is too ambitious (not that I think that it is, but if you go in with unrealistic expectations and know that you'll end up beating yourself up for it, maybe pick another goal at that time).

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am

Lightning wrote: In fact, and not to take anything away from our single-child mommies, but I do think more than one kid and running is FREAKING AWESOME. Mad crazy props to FP, IronColl, Hammie, pts, Irongirl, Kristi...have I missed any multi-kid HRM? My one 16 month old toddler is so so so active I can not imagine another child and running like you all do. A complete and total inspiration!!!!

!

Seriously!! Mine is just starting to move around and I can't imagine trying to wrangle two of them! Major props to you guys for getting out!

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

Taking our new jogging stroller out for a run for the first time today. We got the MEC jogging stroller/bike trailer. Yes, we went cheap. We'll see if that was a mistake!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

Yay FP!!!! Isn't that first run an amazing feeling?

pts - lots of time! I'm sure 5 weeks before your Canada Day 5k you thought you couldn't do that either!

geobandito wrote:Taking our new jogging stroller out for a run for the first time today. We got the MEC jogging stroller/bike trailer. Yes, we went cheap. We'll see if that was a mistake!

Will be interested to hear your report. We'd like to get a bike trailer for next year, and the chariots are so $$$.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:27 am

geobandito wrote:Taking our new jogging stroller out for a run for the first time today. We got the MEC jogging stroller/bike trailer. Yes, we went cheap. We'll see if that was a mistake!

We enjoy our MEC one, it's huge to deal with in the car though so it just stays set up in the garage! Super smooth and easy to push though! I even ran short sprints with two 30lb kids in it and it wasn't bad. We were playing red light, green light and they added yellow light so I could have walk breaks :) Wicked workout!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:42 am

farmgirlinthecity wrote:

We enjoy our MEC one, it's huge to deal with in the car though so it just stays set up in the garage! Super smooth and easy to push though! I even ran short sprints with two 30lb kids in it and it wasn't bad. We were playing red light, green light and they added yellow light so I could have walk breaks :) Wicked workout!

Hello multi-kid mommy!!!! I bow to you as well!!!! ^:)^
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:43 am

We just picked up a Bell bike trailer this week at Costco for $69! We don't need it until next year since Z can't go in it until after he's one, but at that price...

And yes, it does hold two kids, but we figure Chazz will happily take the second seat :wink:
Last edited by jes on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Lightning wrote:
farmgirlinthecity wrote:

Hello multi-kid mommy!!!! I bow to you as well!!!! ^:)^

Hahaha! One of those was not mine in the stroller (Aoife is nowhere near 30lbs!) I bow to my treadmill, it saves my sanity. I've become a night runner, 90% of my runs are once the kids are in bed. My last half marathon training was done almost exclusively on the treadmill. Such is how life goes right now!

The only real drawback with out MEC stroller is that it's a double and does not fit through a standard size door. So it's good if your store has automatic double doors but otherwise it stays outside :)
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 pm

jes wrote:We just picked up a Bell bike trailer this week at Costco for $69! We don't need it until next year, but at that price...

We have one of those as well that I bought last year! Now I need a bike I can pull it with...

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm

I am also looking for double stroller reviews! I think I will give up the treadmill (gasp!) for a good running stroller (since our budget won't do both). I was talking to a playdate friend this morning about her valco which she loves, but then I found out it was $1200! :shock:

Return to “The Scenic Route”