Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 pm

jes wrote:
IronColl wrote:
jes wrote:
IronColl wrote:
Kristi wrote:Nice work Ironcoll - it seems like your running has really picked up lately!

It is coming along nicely!

How's everyone doing?

It's coming along well here too. I'm in week 5 of marathon training - so far so good! My long run will be about 28k this Sunday, so we'll see!

My long runs are never going to catch up to yours!! :lol:

Eventually they will (on race day :wink: )!!

You'll probably run 43km that day just to stay ahead! :lol:

Lightning wrote: IC, you have tons of time to get your long runs um, longer so no worries there. Do you post your runs somewhere so I can stalk you? I like to stalk jes' log, so it only seems fair!

I'm trying to figure out how to make my log public so I can send you the link.

Love the word stories! I also get freaked out at the sentences that Cait can put together, and the logic that Jake has.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:56 pm

IronColl wrote:
jes wrote:

I bet I won't!

IronColl wrote:
Lightning wrote: IC, you have tons of time to get your long runs um, longer so no worries there. Do you post your runs somewhere so I can stalk you? I like to stalk jes' log, so it only seems fair!

Please send me the link too!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 pm

jes wrote:
IronColl wrote:
jes wrote:

I bet I won't!

IronColl wrote:

Me too!

Ps- Colleen, I just did planks and Marianne did crunches (I tried to get a pic of her crunches)- we were thinking of you!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 pm

jes wrote:
IronColl wrote:
jes wrote:

I bet I won't!

IronColl wrote:

Me too!

Ps- Colleen, I just did planks and Marianne did crunches (I tried to get a pic of her crunches)- we were thinking of you!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

FishPants wrote:I am so jealous of all the moms who have toddlers with words! Today, John shoved away his breakfast, and didn't want any of the food I offered, nor did he want down. He just kept crying and shaking his head.

Turns out he wanted a hug.

G was a signer more than a talker. He had about 10 words on his second birthday. Our doctor said he wasn't worried as long as he was understanding what we were saying to him. People would talk about their baby cooing and making noise and I had no idea what they were talking about because G never made noise. We have a couple videos of him as a baby and he does not make one sound besides laughing! A on the other hand came out cooing and making noise. I always thought she was awake in the night when she wasnt' because she even talked in her sleep. She started with sentances just shy of 19 months. There could not be two different kids. Goes to show the range of "normal" is immense!

G and I had a breast/nipple conversation yesterday. Add him to the list of body part loving kids!
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:21 pm

farmgirlinthecity wrote:
FishPants wrote:I am so jealous of all the moms who have toddlers with words! Today, John shoved away his breakfast, and didn't want any of the food I offered, nor did he want down. He just kept crying and shaking his head.

Turns out he wanted a hug.

G was a signer more than a talker. He had about 10 words on his second birthday. Our doctor said he wasn't worried as long as he was understanding what we were saying to him. People would talk about their baby cooing and making noise and I had no idea what they were talking about because G never made noise. We have a couple videos of him as a baby and he does not make one sound besides laughing! A on the other hand came out cooing and making noise. I always thought she was awake in the night when she wasnt' because she even talked in her sleep. She started with sentances just shy of 19 months. There could not be two different kids. Goes to show the range of "normal" is immense!

G and I had a breast/nipple conversation yesterday. Add him to the list of body part loving kids!

John makes a ton of noise and babbles, just no words. He will say what we think is a word, but refuses to ever repeat it again. He will be 2 in October, and I am trying not to stress over it too much right now.

Damon is also super talkative with coos and vowels, but I am not expecting any words from him anytime soon!

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm

This was a couple weeks ago now:

Body part conversation:
G: how do babies get out of their mommy's tummy?
Me: brief but correct explanation
G: So it's kind of like a slide then?
Me: sort of buddy

:P
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 am

Does anyone give gifts to their daycare providers? This is V's last week in the infant room *sniff* and I was thinking about sending something to her teachers. The problem is, I don't know how many there are in total. There are 2 main teachers and maybe 4 or 5 others that rotate around.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am

anners wrote:Does anyone give gifts to their daycare providers? This is V's last week in the infant room *sniff* and I was thinking about sending something to her teachers. The problem is, I don't know how many there are in total. There are 2 main teachers and maybe 4 or 5 others that rotate around.

Do you have time to make some muffins or cookies?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am

IronColl wrote:
anners wrote:Does anyone give gifts to their daycare providers? This is V's last week in the infant room *sniff* and I was thinking about sending something to her teachers. The problem is, I don't know how many there are in total. There are 2 main teachers and maybe 4 or 5 others that rotate around.

no :lol: and I don't think I'm allowed to bring home baked goods. I recently got a newsletter from them discouraging parents from sending in treats for birthdays, and that their "no nuts" policy includes all home baking.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

anners wrote:
IronColl wrote:

no :lol: and I don't think I'm allowed to bring home baked goods. I recently got a newsletter from them discouraging parents from sending in treats for birthdays, and that their "no nuts" policy includes all home baking.

I wonder the same thing everytime that Timmy "graduates" from a room (every 6 months) but I haven't done anything yet. I did gifts at Christmas, but that's it. We have the same thing with the few main teachers and the rotating ones - I don't know how many rotating ones there are. Especially in the summer with vacations, there have been more rotations.

If you really wanted to do something, maybe a new toy or book for the classroom would be appropriate. Why have I never done that? :think: Let me know what you come up with, I'm curious!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 am

We totally give gifts for various occasions to our DCP, but it is different for you as you have a few providers. What about gift cards? Maybe more $ for the two main ones, and smaller $ ones for the other ones. Starbucks or something, and a nice thank you card! These people are with your kid allll day, and I think they should be totally appreciated with gifts! That is so nice that you are thinking about it.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

I e-mailed my friend who uses the same daycare, and she said that she has given gift cards. She suggested that I contact the director and ask for the names of the teachers if I am not sure. Great idea. Then I won't miss anyone or spell their names wrong :)

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:14 pm

I like the donation of a book or toy in her name to recognize the time she spent in that room.

She is graduating to a new room :shock: !
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm

I can't believe V is moving to the next room already!! I like the idea of gift cards or books for the room.

Easy 8k run this morning around the hood. I saw a million posters for a boot camp style class that I'm seriously considering signing up for. I'm still smooshy in my belly :(
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I approve of boot camp!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Amelia and I are vacationing at a cottage this week. Getting a fair bit of running in and there are lots of rolling hills. But I swear, the terrible twos have hit...my 16 mth old...is that possible. Yah, speaking of words...new ones this week are "no" and "mine"...seriously? I think iit will be a break when I go back to work next week.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:06 pm

AndyM wrote:Amelia and I are vacationing at a cottage this week. Getting a fair bit of running in and there are lots of rolling hills. But I swear, the terrible twos have hit...my 16 mth old...is that possible. Yah, speaking of words...new ones this week are "no" and "mine"...seriously? I think iit will be a break when I go back to work next week.

I asked at the 15 month appointment if the terrible twos could be here...and the answer was yes! Embarrasingly my words also come with bytch slaps! Awesome. Good luck to you, my friend. Glad to hear you are getting some running in.

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 pm

In my very limited experience, the terrible twos are actually before the age of two. I do have a friend that laughs at the terrible twos and tells me to just wait for the f$#&ing fours. :what:

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Kristi wrote:In my very limited experience, the terrible twos are actually before the age of two. I do have a friend that laughs at the terrible twos and tells me to just wait for the f$#&ing fours. :what:

Hahahaha! Best post ever. You are one of the best moms I know so I will take what you say as golden. Ohhh, that means A. is heading there too soon since he is not too much younger than our rascals!!! Help us all.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Lightning wrote:
Kristi wrote:In my very limited experience, the terrible twos are actually before the age of two. I do have a friend that laughs at the terrible twos and tells me to just wait for the f$#&ing fours. :what:

Hahahaha! Best post ever. You are one of the best moms I know so I will take what you say as golden. Ohhh, that means A. is heading there too soon since he is not too much younger than our rascals!!! Help us all.

Kristi's friend is bang on!

20km run for me with lots of runs. :? A 2 hour run should NOT have 30min worth of rest breaks!!!! FFS.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm

IronColl wrote:
Lightning wrote:

Kristi's friend is bang on!

20km run for me with lots of runs. :? A 2 hour run should NOT have 30min worth of rest breaks!!!! FFS.

That totally sucks. Remind me again what you are eating and drinking so I can give you some unsolicited tips...

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 pm

This may have been from the hamburgers I ate for supper the night before. Or coffee in the morning? Maybe peanut butter on toast isn't working for me anymore.

These pit stops are in addition to already going in the morning. Usually I have to stop if I am pushing out of my comfort zone, but this is happening 8km or less into a long run which isn't run at a challenging pace.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 am

I got the names of V's teachers from the director, made each of them cards from V and put a Tim's GC inside. They loved them! They totally made me cry when I picked her up yesterday. They took a picture of her with the teachers, made a graduation cap and a lovely card saying what a happy and fun kid she is, and that they will miss her :cry:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:15 am

anners wrote:I got the names of V's teachers from the director, made each of them cards from V and put a Tim's GC inside. They loved them! They totally made me cry when I picked her up yesterday. They took a picture of her with the teachers, made a graduation cap and a lovely card saying what a happy and fun kid she is, and that they will miss her :cry:

awww! sounds like the gift thing worked out!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”