Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
AndyM
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby AndyM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:15 am

I pulled a "jes" yesterday and ran 16.5K with Amelia in the stroller. We hit up 2 parks in the first 10K, had a major meltdown when we left the 2nd park and I arrived home to find a sleeping toddler so I went back out for 6.5K more. Having to climb around play structures counts as part of my workout, right? Exhausting!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:33 am

AndyM wrote:I pulled a "jes" yesterday and ran 16.5K with Amelia in the stroller. We hit up 2 parks in the first 10K, had a major meltdown when we left the 2nd park and I arrived home to find a sleeping toddler so I went back out for 6.5K more. Having to climb around play structures counts as part of my workout, right? Exhausting!

:D

16.5k plus climbing play structures! Awesome!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 am

pts wrote:
Kristi wrote:
babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:
by the way- if I hear "I want daddy to..." (instead of mommy) one more time in my house I am going to lose it. Actually, I already lost it, but that is allowing me time to myself while the kids and ever-fabulous-do-no-wrong daddy are at the park.

See, you're catching on. It's not an insult, it's a phase. A phase that you can maximize to your greatest advantage! "Honey, I'd love to give the him his bath, but he really wants you to do it. Isn't that sweet? You can't really say no."
Then pour a glass of wine (or coffee), put your feet up and read some of your book you haven't had time to read. As you hear hubby finishing up, go stand at the sink with a glass and towel in your hands so it looks like you've been doing the dishes.

You've done this before!! You are a genius.

I hate the daddy only phase - we're going through it too. "Go away mommy, I don't want you. I want Daddy" is getting really old :roll:

That sounds like our house!

Tori- I may look into a chiro. I have been going to massage for my shoulders (which are really tight and giving me headaches), but she never has time to work both (30 min appointments mostly). I will look to see if I can get a recommendations for post-partum chiro.

Has anyone tried an osteopath? There is a physio/osteo in town who does post-partum work and I was thinking of trying her.

My RMT is training to be an osteopath and I have been getting even more fantastic treatment since she started (was getting great treatment before she started her osteo training). She connected my stomach issues to the shoulder problem I was having (guarding, causing shoulder issues).

I would definately give an osteopath a try.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 am

My chiro specializes in athletes and pregnant/post-partum moms. If you can find a chiro that is certified in the Webster technique, that is a pregnancy-specific technique.

I always feel so much better after my chiro adjusts me. Different doctors will use different methods as well. My chiro is the slam-you-around-the-table kind, but her sister (they work in the same office) uses leverage and her adjustments, while giving the same result, feel different. I'm not afraid of the slamming around, but if a chiro is intimidating, try to find a leverage one :)

Most chiros will offer a free consult, and if you do not feel like you mesh with them, you are under no obligation to stay and get adjusted.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Jes, my hat's off to you for the distance you run with the stroller (you too Andy!). I managed just over 9km today and that was far enough. Kudos to you!

Oh, very happy that there were no pit stops. Had an immodium upon waking then another after a BM and been smooth sailing ever since. Will try this for the LSD on Thursday and if it works then I may race the half after all.
Last edited by IronColl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:56 pm

I did 2 and 1's with my stroller, with some warm up and cool down walking, for a total of 3.8km. I planned my route so I finished the running portion at Second Cup and treated myself to an icepresso.

The run itself was very challenging, and the two minutes felt looooooong, but John had a great time (he chattered away to himself while I ran) and I treated him to a chiller. Pushing the stroller definitely added some challenge (John is 30 lb, my stroller is about 20 lb), but according to Garmin I was doing high 7's, low 8's, and the 8's were the headwind laps. :shock:

I felt very strong and pretty at the end of my run. :)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Way to go FP!!! That's awesome! I did something like 3 and 1s on my first run back and it was brutal....and I'm up to 30k long runs now :D

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 pm

IronColl wrote:Jes, my hat's off to you for the distance you run with the stroller (you too Andy!). I managed just over 9km today and that was far enough. Kudos to you!

Oh, very happy that there were no pit stops. Had an immodium upon waking then another after a BM and been smooth sailing ever since. Will try this for the LSD on Thursday and if it works then I may race the half after all.

Immodium is your friend in races! Good call, Coll.

Way to go, AndyM! That is really far.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Since I don't have a journal, this post will seem very journal like.

Completed 26km this morning, which is the longest training run so far and 3km farther than my longest run last year. I am please with the pacing although there are some fast km and some a bit slower with some walking. One thing that I have noticed is that these long runs feel way harder now then they did last time I trained for a marathon. I'm not sure if it is my body or if it is because I'm not starting them early enough or something else. I am enjoying the first 2h but found the last part today a bit of a death march, especially the last 3km. Thank goodness for Lady Gaga.

I did have to pit stop this morning at about 12km, but thinking that could be because we all slept later this morning so I didn't have enough time before I started (although I did BM before I left). I am torn about racing the half on the 21st. I really would like to see where my fitness is but I don't want to waste the entry fee. I really believe I can get close to 2h or less.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:45 pm

IronColl wrote:Since I don't have a journal, this post will seem very journal like.

Completed 26km this morning, which is the longest training run so far and 3km farther than my longest run last year. I am please with the pacing although there are some fast km and some a bit slower with some walking. One thing that I have noticed is that these long runs feel way harder now then they did last time I trained for a marathon. I'm not sure if it is my body or if it is because I'm not starting them early enough or something else. I am enjoying the first 2h but found the last part today a bit of a death march, especially the last 3km. Thank goodness for Lady Gaga.

I did have to pit stop this morning at about 12km, but thinking that could be because we all slept later this morning so I didn't have enough time before I started (although I did BM before I left). I am torn about racing the half on the 21st. I really would like to see where my fitness is but I don't want to waste the entry fee. I really believe I can get close to 2h or less.

Congrats! I think marathon training is always hard...well it is never easy. It could just be that you are + one more kid and therefore more tired/busy. ??? HOpefully you get some more long runs under your belt and some that feel easier at the end. Good job for getting it done! Taking on a marathon is a lofty goal when you have more than just yourself to worry about.

I got an unexpected hr free to myself tonight and decided to sprint 10K. OK, well not a sprint but close to 10K race pace. Made it back just as my kid was getting dropped off in my driveway. Running fast is hard but easier because you are done so much faster :D .

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:28 pm

jes wrote:Way to go FP!!! That's awesome! I did something like 3 and 1s on my first run back and it was brutal....and I'm up to 30k long runs now :D

I bow down to you.
Actually I bow down to all you Hot Mommas!!

BTW...I think I just got a "hanging out with a Baby Maniac gig"...for the Army HalfM. Totally stoked about cheering with Dexter. :D :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Good work everybody!!!!

IC, that is good that it feels hard at the end cause you will need that feeling of pushing through the tiredness, even when it is hard, for your final kms in your marathon in San Fran! Sometimes on training runs or even in a race when tired I try speeding up rather than slowing down my pace, even though it is exactly opposite to what your body is telling you to do. It is hard to make my legs go, but it actually works a lot of the time---you just need to switch things up to get energized again. Learning to run on tired legs, as you did today, will only help make your marathon stronger!!! Plus, as you said, it has been a bit since you ran that long so feeling a bit draggy is totally expected.

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:01 am

You ladies are amazing. Long stroller runs, first post-partum runs, first-in-a-long-time REALLY long runs...awesome! Sorry that I haven't been able to contribute to the runs on the run discussion, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. Taking lots of mental notes though!

I'm posting in the middle of the night because V had another cough-till-you-puke incident a couple of hours ago and I can't get back to sleep. This has been happening a lot...both her coughing and my insomnia :roll: . Her doc thinks she may have asthma, so we've been giving her a puffer twice a day :( Poor thing. We go back to see him next week, so we'll see if she's improved by then.

My right shoulder is all wrenched up and is affecting my ability to fall asleep, too. I'm guessing it's a combination of excessive computer use (mouse) and carrying V on that side. Darn it, I might have to go back and see my attractive chiropractor :lol:

Nothing to report on the running front, unfortunately. I will live vicariously through all of you awesome mommas.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

anners wrote:You ladies are amazing. Long stroller runs, first post-partum runs, first-in-a-long-time REALLY long runs...awesome! Sorry that I haven't been able to contribute to the runs on the run discussion, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. Taking lots of mental notes though!

I'm posting in the middle of the night because V had another cough-till-you-puke incident a couple of hours ago and I can't get back to sleep. This has been happening a lot...both her coughing and my insomnia :roll: . Her doc thinks she may have asthma, so we've been giving her a puffer twice a day :( Poor thing. We go back to see him next week, so we'll see if she's improved by then.

My right shoulder is all wrenched up and is affecting my ability to fall asleep, too. I'm guessing it's a combination of excessive computer use (mouse) and carrying V on that side. Darn it, I might have to go back and see my attractive chiropractor :lol:

Nothing to report on the running front, unfortunately. I will live vicariously through all of you awesome mommas.

Poor V, Owen used to have that at her age too. I always knew when the cough started the barf would be arriving soon. :? Plus he would get every cold known to man and it would hit his lungs. Hopefully she outgrows it in another year. I am really happy to say we have not used a puffer since last summer.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 am

Awe that's to bad Anners. I hope she gets over whatever she has. Amelia had a nasty cough (thankfully no puking) for months when she started daycare and it has gone away now. I had very bad asthma as a child but nothing since my early 20's ....long way away for V but it's not always permanent is what i'm saying.

Reading an interesting article here in the G&M about a website for women showing different body types and sizes. You plug in your height, weight, body type and size and it shows you pictures of "real women" with the same type. Kind of cool. I thought the women that came up for my dimensions looked pretty good! But the ones with 10lbs less looked even better. :oops: Hopefully i can post the link properly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... le2127253/

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:49 am

neat site!

Well, you guys have gotten to me. I swore I wouldn't do any stroller runs (I'm just not a fan of them!)....but, I'm having trouble fitting in my 4th run of the week, and, my training needs that run. Delilah has a 2 hour drop off preschool twice a week, so, I realized that I should be using the Friday one (since it fits well into my training schedule) to do a run.

4km - 30 minutes done.

I have 6 weeks until the Army Run. I will try to do this every week, adding either 5 minutes of 0.5 km to the Friday run each week.

darn you all! :P
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:59 am

Tori wrote:
anners wrote:You ladies are amazing. Long stroller runs, first post-partum runs, first-in-a-long-time REALLY long runs...awesome! Sorry that I haven't been able to contribute to the runs on the run discussion, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. Taking lots of mental notes though!

Poor V, Owen used to have that at her age too. I always knew when the cough started the barf would be arriving soon. :? Plus he would get every cold known to man and it would hit his lungs. Hopefully she outgrows it in another year. I am really happy to say we have not used a puffer since last summer.

Our son had the same thing.

He took a daily bronchodilator (it was Alupent syrup, but I don't know that it is available anymore - it is/was a limited use kind of drug I think). It really helped him but he had to be on the name brand (not the generic - it made him hyper and aggressive, weird). He switched to an inhaler after he had the generic, since he for some reason reacted to the drug after that.

Maybe there is something else that she can take daily insteead to help prevent the coughing attacks?

Our son did grow out of his asthma, so there is hope! He used an inhaler for sports until he was around 10 or 12 but he stopped having the cough till he puked attacks once he got on meds.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 am

So stressful! Poor V. Alex has been on and off the puffer for the past year. I'm optimistic that he'll outgrow it and hopefully V does too. Feel better and get some sleep!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 am

Poor V :( I hope it just goes away, Gavin had a cough for awhile at about 1 yo and they prescribed a puffer, but we didn't need it, thank goodness.

Colleen (IC)- wooooohoooo, awesome run!!

Andy- ditto the above comment! I loved the park runs (when G was little), I found i had so much fun (and I ended at a park near a Starbucks so I got an iced coffee out of it!).

IG- yay for getting a run in!

What else have i missed here? Just doing a quick look in while baking muffins with G.

Oh, I ran yesterday- 20 minutes to test everything. Felt great while running but then my hip hurt a lot afterwards (it was hard going upstairs about an hour later) :(
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am

AndyM wrote:Reading an interesting article here in the G&M about a website for women showing different body types and sizes. You plug in your height, weight, body type and size and it shows you pictures of "real women" with the same type. Kind of cool. I thought the women that came up for my dimensions looked pretty good! But the ones with 10lbs less looked even better. :oops: Hopefully i can post the link properly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... le2127253/

I checked it out, but there are no apples with my height and weight yet! :) I said 10 for pants, even though the only pants I wear right now are lulus, and I wear an 8 in those. (6 in Stills, I love Stills for that reason :) )

We had to do a questionnaire for life insurance the other day (trying to be responsible so the kids are taken care of if something happens to us) and I was asked my height and weight. I said that was a mean question to ask a woman who is 3 months post partum.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:10 am

So sorry about V, and all the little ones who have had to battle illness! Seems so unfair as they are so little and helpless.

IG, good for you! I have wondered how your training is going. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the last 6 weeks. Everyone on here is doing so awesome!!!! pts, that bites about your hip.

FP, we had to get tested when we switched life insurance carriers while I was pregnant!!!!! They put down my big fat pregnancy weight! Boooo.

-Ron Burgandy

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:10 pm

very interesting site, andy! you're right - i look at others of my height and weight and think they all look great!

kiza - good for you!!! i am looking forward to c being big enough to run with, just so i have the option. i love my tm, but when it is so nice out, i am aching to be out there!!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:17 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:very interesting site, andy! you're right - i look at others of my height and weight and think they all look great!

kiza - good for you!!! i am looking forward to c being big enough to run with, just so i have the option. i love my tm, but when it is so nice out, i am aching to be out there!!!!

how big does the bob suggest?

since our stroller lies flat, we ran with Delilah when she was about 7 weeks old, and again once with Dexter when he was pretty small as well.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for the support. It is both sad and a relief to hear that asthma is so common. I am certainly in good company here, but it's so sad to see her suffer :cry:

I checked out that website and there seems to be quite a range of pictures for my size. I guess most of them look ok :lol: . Then I put in what I used to weigh when I was heavier, and I don't want to go back there...

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

That sucks Anners. I hope you get some relief soon!

There are no pictures for me on that sight right now, but I'll check back for sure. Such a cool idea!

Return to “The Scenic Route”