Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:42 pm

I don't think every other week would be asking too much.

Did I tell you guys I finally registered for Hamilton?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

hmm....did she say "some" wednesdays, or, every wednesday?

are you paying her, or, is this a nice thing that she's doing?

if you're paying - I'd say to plan every week!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Way to go signer-uppers!!!!! Awesome! Nothing like forking over $$$ to keep you going if you are a cheapskate like moi!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 pm

pts wrote:Question for all the HRMs out there: I just got an offer from a neighbour (with 2 little ones at home) to look after M for an hour or so on some wednesdays when G is in daycare so that I can go for a run. So, I think I may take her up on it (assuming/hoping it was genuine and not a 'polite' offer). How often do you think is appropriate? Every other week, or is that too much? I would ask the mom, but she is one of those people who would say 'whenever' and I don't want to take advantage of her.

YAY for someone to watch M on wednesdays, I think I will make that my 'quality' workout of the week (or my long run at the start when it is only about 1 hour or so).

Can u just see how it goes? Plan for next WEd and see how she is with M and if she offers for next week. Nice to make a long plan but even one hour for next week is good too.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Preamble: My parents are big IG fans...they think she's smart, beautiful and an awesome Mom. And they were wowed by Dexter when they met him last month (just like they're always "wowed" when they've had a visit from Delilah :D )

BUT I didn't realize what an impression Dexter had made on my Dad until yesterday morning at breakfast with them....

Me: Dad...when I come to visit in a couple weeks I'll be going out early Sunday morning...I'm babysitting Dexter at the Army Half while IG and IB race.
Dad: Oh good...you can bring Dexter home and we can visit with him!
Me: I can't do that...I don't have a carseat for him.
Dad: (with a wistful tone)...that's too bad...he's so cute!

This exhange made me smile...moreso because my Dad is not someone who emotes all the over the place! Mind you...I think because IG is an engineer (so is he) she and her children can do very little wrong in his eyes :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am not starting until october, since DH is off this month so I can more easily run. I am not paying her, she loves babies and is done having them, so wants a baby to cuddle. I think I will call her in early october to check-in and see if there are a few days that work for her.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 pm

So, i got to go the track last night to do some speed repeats and I thought of a good idea for those other child care strapped momma's. Disclaimer: I have not actually tried this but it seems like a good idea in my head :lol: . So, you meet another momma or dad and kid at the track and take turns doing your intervals around the track while the other watches the kiddos. If you are lucky, like me, your track will also have a playground right there. This would also work with a partner of course. Each person gets their workout and the kiddo's get to play! So who's meeting me at the track to babysit my kid? :wink:

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:23 pm

AndyM wrote:So, i got to go the track last night to do some speed repeats and I thought of a good idea for those other child care strapped momma's. Disclaimer: I have not actually tried this but it seems like a good idea in my head :lol: . So, you meet another momma or dad and kid at the track and take turns doing your intervals around the track while the other watches the kiddos. If you are lucky, like me, your track will also have a playground right there. This would also work with a partner of course. Each person gets their workout and the kiddo's get to play! So who's meeting me at the track to babysit my kid? :wink:

I'll watch her anytime you want to do track. I probably won't join you since I do my track Thursday nights with a group, but I'm just a hop skip and jump from the track...

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:00 pm

I just had a run that HRMs would appreciate. I am about to head out for a run (alone) when the baby wakes up from her nap, so I tell DH I will take her for a lap. I realize that it is her first run, so I get DH to take a picture of us for posterity and off we go. I get about 5 minutes in and realize I had to pee- badly- so I headed back. I decided to leave the baby with DH while I head out again (after peeing- much better!). Just as I am almost out the door, Gavin wakes up from his nap, and calls down in cranky post-nap voice "I want to go for a run with mommy!". So, I carry him down the stairs (since he is too tired to walk), plop him in the stroller, and start lap #2. We are out 5 minutes when he says, "Where is my hat? I need my hat on to run." So, we turned around to go back for his hat. Once home, he decided he didn't really want to go for a run, so I dropped him off with DH and head out alone (FINALLY!). Third lap done alone and I came home and went in the front door (after dropping Gavin off at the garage door beforehand). Well, post-nap cranky Gavin waited the entire time (only 10 minutes or so) in the laundry room at the garage door entrance so he could cheer me on when I got home. The fact I went in the wrong door was going to elicit a melt-down. I ran out the front door without shoes, crossed the gravel driveway (ouch, ouch, ouch), and into the garage door to wild cheers from my son.

haha, adventures in running. :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Awww that's a cute story. Sounds like you got some interval training in there too!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Pts - that's so cute! And good for you for still going back out there! I think I'd give up after the first lap :oops: .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Great story, pts. Kudos for making the best of it!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh my goodness Pts! That run (adventure?) tired me out just reading it!!!

For the Ottawa mommies, the Ottawa Multiples group is having their fall sale tomorrow at the Nepean Sportsplex from 11-1:30. I think I'll try to go after my run.

http://www.mbfa.ca/mc/page.do?sitePageI ... orgId=mbfa

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 pm

I have been giggling all night over a blog called www.bedtimesareforsuckers.com

I think it is the female version of Owen with her little stories. I particularly love 5 reasons kids don't want to go to bed and confessions of a 5 year old hoarder. :lol:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Tori wrote:I have been giggling all night over a blog called http://www.bedtimesareforsuckers.com

I think it is the female version of Owen with her little stories. I particularly love 5 reasons kids don't want to go to bed and confessions of a 5 year old hoarder. :lol:

That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing - I've been giggling for a while now.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 am

Tori wrote:I have been giggling all night over a blog called http://www.bedtimesareforsuckers.com

Ha-ha. Love it. Have bookmarked it!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 pm

the HRM's all rocked the Army Run course today!! :)

I'm proud of us!

i have a new PPPB in the 1/2! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am

Congrats to all the mommas! Looking forward to the race reports.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 am

I wasn't going to post a report, but I'm sick and cranky, and thought the positive reflection would make me feel good. It did! Plus, I have a sick baby napping on my lap, so what else am I going to do?

Poor Charlotte has sort of lost her voice - she has this sad little weak cry now. I think her throat must be really bugging her - I know mine is. We were both in pretty good spirits yesterday morning during and after the race (in fact, she'd seemed almost better), but by last night, wave two hit us! I'm giving myself a day where I don't need to accomplish anything, but take care of the two of us.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 am

Congrats to all the HRMs who raced this weekend. I'm enjoying all the reports.

Scrummy - hope you & C feel better soon!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am

Moms! It's been almost 2 weeks! How is everyone doing?

I am (mostly) managing to get my 4 runs/week in. I have a mom friend who is just getting started into running, and meeting her has been hugely motivating for me. I am also finding that sometimes if I set my alarm, I can sneak a run in before everyone else is up. (it's just the hauling myself up and out the door that is hard).

Damon is growing again (still?) and I felt like I would just drift off last night and he would be up. He was very gassy, I don't know if that was the butternut squash he had last night, or all the garlic sausage I ate yesterday. I will lay off te garlic today and see.

Our big milestone lately is Damon now sits up on his own. John is also finally saying some words, but he will say the word once and not ever repeat it.

What about YOU? Tell me about how your training and momming is going! Or post some updated pictures!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for getting us started again, Sara! Good for you on the 4 days per week running - fabulous!!!

AFM - I went an ran with a running group this week for the first time! It was a lot of fun to run with other people, and there are some fasties, so it will push me, I think. Plus it was soooooo nice to get out in the evening. We've been on some serious cat napping over here, so I was at the end of my rope by the end of the day yesterday! I left C with my mom this morning and went for my long run and felt much better. Then DH played hookie and the two of us went for a big breakfast in the middle of the day - such a treat! He's off to Orlando for a conference tomorrow, so I'm on my own for a few days. Thankfully, have family visiting from out of town, so I'm heading to the cottage with them for the weekend, so I'll have some helping baby-holding hands. We'll see how it goes!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, it has been awhile!!! Sounds like scrummy and FP are doing great.

Things are a little nuts around here. Was telling IC today that I am having a hard time balancing work and home life...work can be very consuming, especially at this time of the year when I am trying to get to know the kids and parents best I can. Now that I am a mommy I realize even more that I need to do my best to be a good teacher for these kids-but working for 2-3 hours at night on stuff just isn't going to work for much longer. (I do it after Isaiah goes to bed, and after I run, but then that leaves zero time for house stuff or husband stuff! I miss him.)

Running is going great! I have annoying blisters on my achilles area that are not healing, but other than that, good. I ran a half last week. My goal was to PB but I didn't. I wasn't too bummed about it though...I am in the middle of heavy training so am super-tired. It was about 50 seconds off a PB.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 am

I find the balance so hard too. I am glad to be in taper finally. I have been so tired the past couple of weeks. I didn't go as far as I wanted to for my last long run but I have 2 over 30km which will have to do. Hopefully I will be reasonably rested for the marathon. I did it last time with the same amount of milage so hoping for the same or a bit better, although I have so much more on my plate this time around!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Is my butt getting big? V's newest word is BUM. She comes up to me from behind and hugs my BUM.

I'm 19 weeks now and I swear I look like I was at 30 weeks last time. My belly is huge. I was pretty good about exercising until 2 weeks ago. The elliptical was starting to get difficult (though I guess I could change the program I've been doing...duh) and I'm just feeling crappy and out of breath most of the time. I will do one of my prenatal workout DVDs tonight though, even if it's only 20 min. Anatomy ultrasound is on Thursday.

Lightning, good job on getting close to your PB! awesome!

IC, you are ready for San Fran 8) Can't wait to hear about it.

Balance? You mean I'm supposed to spend time with my husband instead of passing out at 9pm after V goes to sleep?? Ooops. DH has been busy planning for our basement reno (hopefully signing a contract for the work this week), so I've been busy with...taking care of everything else. Sigh. Well, to be honest I would rather take care of the household than deal with contractors and research building materials.

Return to “The Scenic Route”