Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Anners, must be an 18 month thing. Isaiah is obsessed with saying bum, holding his bum, sticking his head in mine, asking if my or daddy's bum has "poo" in it, etc. GROSS! :D
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:33 am

Yay for the marathon training ladies- soooo impressed! Also yay for the Army mommas- wowza for some fast races!

Ann/Colette- the bum/poo/pee/penis/vagina talk just gets worse with age (until 2.5 at least) :lol:

Good luck on the balance stuff, honestly I have no tips as I have the same issues. I don't know how you ladies who work full-time do it all.

From me, I am getting out about 3x a week for short runs, nothing too major. The big news here is that I have a COMPLETE DRAFT of my dissertation done. I think the important chapters are in their final version (I was told to format them, always a good sign)! The other 4 are not that important (intro, background, methods and conclusions) and they may still have minor edits since I have had fewer drafts of them to my advisor, but still, I am probably going to my second reader (next step) in a month or so. Then it is 12 weeks from second reader to defence (give or take a week or two). :dance:

I am excited about not having to spend every single evening working on my dissertation, and I am determined to run more, and start doing some other hobbies (trying to learn to sew, needle felting, maybe knitting?).

I am thinking of doing the Egg Nog jog in December- have to start upping my runs a bit, although I have lots of hill training already in my town!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I can't work out the balance thing either!

I bailed on my fall marathon plan - between work and home, I was exhausted. A marathon training schedule was just pressure I didn't need right now. The right choice, in hindsight. It's taken me until now to really get back in the swing of things, and now I'm just looking forward to running for the sake of running until the new year. So I'll be cheering even more ^:)^ for all the HRMs running marathons this fall!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm two weeks from taper. I'm two weeks from taper. Repeat with me: I'm two weeks from taper.

So very tired. So very....snore....snore....
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Yay for all the great running and other activities from the HRM's (fitness and otherwise). Go, go, go to the ladies with upcoming fall race plans!

Boo for feeling overwhelmed. Feeling it over here too. "A" has been a bedtime nightmare as of late and going to bed in between 9pm and 10pm which is really my bedtime! Last night I had to cook, clean and do garbage/recycling while holding her. She's, um, 24 freakin' pounds now! I'm sure it's the eye teeth waiting to appear. But, she is also cuter than ever and chatting up a storm, asking for hugs and kisses and gernerally just very cutesy.

Running is pretty good too. Not sure how i'm fitting it in. Had a fab run yesterday with jes, Hot running Marg and friend. Running an almost PB 1/2 a couple of weeks ago gave me the hunger to try it again this fall and I'm probably running anohter in a couple of weeks (although not yet registered).

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm

jes wrote:I'm two weeks from taper. I'm two weeks from taper. Repeat with me: I'm two weeks from taper.

So very tired. So very....snore....snore....

I totally get that. I am so happy to finally being in taper. Too bad other life things didn't taper as well! :lol:

Yay HRMs!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm

anners wrote:Is my butt getting big? V's newest word is BUM. She comes up to me from behind and hugs my BUM.

In your own defence, it is likely at eye level for her, and the only thing she can reach :lol:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Oh dear god...teeth... John is still working on his last 2 molars (2 have already come in) and it is brutal. He turns into the clingiest, temper-tantrum-iest, non-sleepiest ever.

I missed my run Saturday as I was preparing for John's party and Dan ended up having to work. I am going to have to figure out ways to get my runs in when I have both boys at home.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 pm

FP - I agree. Teeth suck. Alex is a much worse teether than Timmy was - I wish I had appreciated it then!

Bum talk - yep, it keeps going. If we are in a public bathroom, Timmy usually asks "Mommy, are you pooping?" :oops:

Running - I'm so impressed with the running mommas. Great work ladies. I can't wait to read some race reports soon.

Balance. I'm finding it really tough. We did get a treadmill and I'm madly in love with it. I'm trying to do 30-40 minutes 4 times a week which is actually not to hard to do for me. But the kids have become sleeping disasters so there is often one of them still awake at 10pm and multiple times throughout the night. I keep wondering when someone at work is going to notice that I have a completely glazed over look most of the time. Or maybe they have noticed and are just too nice to say anything. Or they said something and I just don't remember. That's probably the most likely! I am finding it hard to have time for the kids, the husband, the housework, laundry, running and sleep. Nevermind work! I find that I'm getting more used to the routine, but it's tough most days.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:11 am

oh, AndyM - the eye teeth. I won't tell you Delilah's eye teeth stories..... ;)

I came here to see if Rockstar posted anything. I believe she has some pictures she should be sharing with us!! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am

Kristi- so jealous of the treadmill, yay for you :) It is sooo not in our budget (unless I want to work and right now I don't!).

Teething sucks, hang in there mommas with teething tots!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am

Kristi- so jealous of the treadmill, yay for you :) It is sooo not in our budget (unless I want to work and right now I don't!).

Teething sucks, hang in there mommas with teething tots!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Kristi, you have a long commute thrown in there too, so it must be tough! I find that my days are so long, and I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I have to pick up two kids from daycare and chase them and the dog around while trying to make dinner :? I am really impressed that you are doing as much running as you are!

rockstar, if you're reading, congratulations!!

yay for our tapering mommas!

pts, WOOHOO on having a complete draft done!!!

Where is my preggo buddy JLA?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 pm

anners wrote:Where is my preggo buddy JLA?

i spotted her and hubby out running with the stroller along the canal a couple of weeks ago, so i know she's out there!

I had my first windy stroller run today! i still have c in the bucket on the bob so it was like pushing a giant heavy sailboat!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Breeze
Percy Williams

Postby Breeze » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow! These last few posts are exactly what I've been thinking about these last few weeks.

I am going back to work soon and am worried about finding some resemblance to a balance. I can see it being a challenge but my one thought is to stick to shorter distances and try a run commute home a few times a week as I don't live too far from the office, but if anyone has any tricks on how to adjust to life after mat leave please do share. I am definitely nervous about it, I've only been away from my baby for a few hours at a time, so it will be a huge adjustment.

Ah yes teething... we've been dealing with that here for the past week and not napping or sleeping well. I'm am really hoping I won't be woken up 4 times tonight.

As for my running, I've got a 10km race scheduled in a couple of week and have been working on my speed the last few weeks which means less stroller running which has been a nice break. I've already noticed a bit of an improvement.

Good luck to all of you racing in the next few weeks!

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:24 am

Balance may really come from sacrificing some running goals - keep it shorter, or no races, or less times per week, or whathaveyou - at least until the new routine becomes routine. I work shift work, as does DH, so our routine would be completely different then someone who works a more 9-5 style workday.

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:16 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

i spotted her and hubby out running with the stroller along the canal a couple of weeks ago, so i know she's out there!

I'm aliiiiiiive! Well, mostly. Just had a big conference in MTL followed by a huge post-doc application, so things have been...busy. Plus hubby''s job has been keeping him at the office most nights until 7:30-ish, so by the time I get the kiddo fed and to sleep, I'm one tired mama! Managing to get out for a couple of short runs per week, and riding my bike to school when weather permits, but that's about it. Huge ups to all the hard-training mamas out there - I am living vicariously through your adventures!

Belly bump continues to grow prodigiously, though after an initial spurt I'm not gaining weight as quickly this time - fewer opportunities to sit around and eat bon bons, alas. We found out this one's a little boy - who Alex has promptly named "Salmon." Very fun.

Anners - how are you feeling these days? Are you going to find out boy vs girl?

SHG - You are my hero for running with the BOB + the bucket - HEAVY. I think I'm almost done w. stroller running for this pregnancy. I'm pretty sure Alex has topped 30 pounds - she is currently outgrowing her 3T clothes - so between her, the belly and the BOB...too much!

Marathoning mamas jes and IC - yaaaaaaay for taper being on the horizon! You guys will be amazing.

Kristi- As for the balance question...Do all members of your family, including you, manage to leave the house wearing pants most days? If so - balance achieved! :D

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:21 am

JLA wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I'm aliiiiiiive! Well, mostly. Just had a big conference in MTL followed by a huge post-doc application, so things have been...busy. Plus hubby''s job has been keeping him at the office most nights until 7:30-ish, so by the time I get the kiddo fed and to sleep, I'm one tired mama! Managing to get out for a couple of short runs per week, and riding my bike to school when weather permits, but that's about it. Huge ups to all the hard-training mamas out there - I am living vicariously through your adventures!

Belly bump continues to grow prodigiously, though after an initial spurt I'm not gaining weight as quickly this time - fewer opportunities to sit around and eat bon bons, alas. We found out this one's a little boy - who Alex has promptly named "Salmon." Very fun.

Anners - how are you feeling these days? Are you going to find out boy vs girl?

SHG - You are my hero for running with the BOB + the bucket - HEAVY. I think I'm almost done w. stroller running for this pregnancy. I'm pretty sure Alex has topped 30 pounds - she is currently outgrowing her 3T clothes - so between her, the belly and the BOB...too much!

Marathoning mamas jes and IC - yaaaaaaay for taper being on the horizon! You guys will be amazing.

Kristi- As for the balance question...Do all members of your family, including you, manage to leave the house wearing pants most days? If so - balance achieved! :D

Salmon has a nice ring to it!!! :wink: Maybe it can turn into Simon.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:30 am

Breeze wrote:Wow! These last few posts are exactly what I've been thinking about these last few weeks.

I am going back to work soon and am worried about finding some resemblance to a balance. I can see it being a challenge but my one thought is to stick to shorter distances and try a run commute home a few times a week as I don't live too far from the office, but if anyone has any tricks on how to adjust to life after mat leave please do share. I am definitely nervous about it, I've only been away from my baby for a few hours at a time, so it will be a huge adjustment.

I promise it isn't too bad. Once you get the routine down of making sure everything is ready the night before (lunches, clothes, backpacks, etc.) it makes life a lot easier and you can figure out how much you can run. It is true your time is limited with your little one at night but you can jam pack in a lot of stuff in those couple hours.

An update at my house - my giant child has now reached 45lbs and is in all size 5T clothes and I am starting to buy boys small! It is crazy, he is only 3.5 years old.

1 week today and I will be on my flight to San Fran for the Nike Women's 1/2! Cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:43 am

JLA wrote:Kristi- As for the balance question...Do all members of your family, including you, manage to leave the house wearing pants most days? If so - balance achieved! :D

I love this! I have worn pants to work every day for the last three weeks, so check! :lol:

I'm so impressed you're still out there being active JLA! Good on you!

Jess - you're a machine pushing the BOB with the bucket!

I second Tori's comments about getting everything ready the night before. Z goes to bed by 7, so the first hour after he's in bed is spent getting everything ready for the next day and cleaning up from that day. I even lay out my clothes for the next morning so I don't have to think about it at 6am when my eyes aren't open yet.

I'm having a hard time with the drastically reduced amount of time I get to spend with Z. Yesterday, I got to play with him for a grand total of 10 minutes and he was crying for most of that. (I got home at 4:20, we had to vote, and I had to leave for track at 5:30). It sucked. But it's a long weekend!!

I'm so looking forward to being done this training cycle. I just finished up my bootcamp last week so now I have those two nights free. Two more weeks til taper!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 am

Congrats JLA on the boy!

Getting stuff ready the night before, no matter what it is, is a lifesaver in the morning.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 am

Yes, congratulations on little Salmon!!! Love the name - I think you should put it on the short list!!!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 am

jes wrote:
JLA wrote:Kristi- As for the balance question...Do all members of your family, including you, manage to leave the house wearing pants most days? If so - balance achieved! :D

I love this! I have worn pants to work every day for the last three weeks, so check! :lol:

I do manage to wear pants everyday so I'm good. They aren't always as freshly laundered as one might hope, but I do wear them. As for the boys, hubby does the morning wakeup and get everyone dressed. I'm tempted to be embarassed by what they are wearing sometimes, but they are clothed. Daddy does an amazing job of getting them up, fed, dressed and out the door, so we don't worry about whether or not they are wearing a thomas bathing suit and a lightning mcqueen shirt (a current favourite outfit).

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 am

We did find out the gender yesterday, but I am being cryptic about it on FB...just don't feel like sharing with the world yet :P We are going to to a 3D u/s at some point, so then I should know with more certainty.

I am feeling craptastic! Gained 20lbs already at the halfway mark! I sure hope the weight gain slows down. I am certainly not sitting on the couch eating haagen daas all day (only some days...). Activity level is way down, but at least I am walking Lily 30-40min a day and trudging through my exercise DVDs a couple of times a week.

I think everyone left the house wearing pants today...I manage to leave clothes out for V about half the time. The other half, she ends up in a questionable combination put together by DH :D But hey, at least he manages to change her out of her PJs!

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm

had a three week PP client at the clinic today; baby number three.

Just a reminder to do a bit of neck stretching after you have been sitting down breastfeeding. That was the main cause of her complaint!
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Return to “The Scenic Route”