Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:37 pm

fe.RMT wrote:had a three week PP client at the clinic today; baby number three.

Just a reminder to do a bit of neck stretching after you have been sitting down breastfeeding. That was the main cause of her complaint!

Good reminder! Also, bring baby to the boob, not boob to the baby! It is hard to do at first but helps sooooo much for shoulder/neck/back problems!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 pm

pts wrote:

Just a reminder to do a bit of neck stretching after you have been sitting down breastfeeding. That was the main cause of her complaint!

Good reminder! Also, bring baby to the boob, not boob to the baby! It is hard to do at first but helps sooooo much for shoulder/neck/back problems!

And with latching properly. I did not do this at first and got a wicked case of mastitis. Booo to that.

Anners, not to be a one-upper cause that is sooooooooo not my style, I had gained 25+ pounds by the time I was at 20 weeks with Isaiah. So you are doing great!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Lightning wrote:
pts wrote:

And with latching properly. I did not do this at first and got a wicked case of mastitis. Booo to that.

Anners, not to be a one-upper cause that is sooooooooo not my style, I had gained 25+ pounds by the time I was at 20 weeks with Isaiah. So you are doing great!

I agree anners, you are fine, don't look at the scale! I gained so much with M (as you know since I think I complained to you once or twice or 100X times!).
Lightning- ouch, that sucks and is one of my big worries. I have been on the brink of mastitis 2x with M, she is not a day nurser at all and I have way too much supply so I get blocked ducts like mad. Apparently there are 3 stages though (localized, minor generalized, and major generalized), and if you can get the blocked duct cleared before hitting the third stage (which may come right away or may take up to 24 hours to get to) then you can bounce back without full-blown mastitis. Luckily I get to stage 2 (low-grade fever, redness, achy etc) and my body doesn't kick into the third stage right away so I have been ok both times with just working like mad to clear it.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Lightning wrote:

You one-upper! I guess I have to catch up! :lol:

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:56 pm

anners wrote:
Lightning wrote:

Shallonge!!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 am

Lightning wrote:
anners wrote:
Lightning wrote:

Shallonge!!!!

Hahaha

Oh pts, ouch. I have had a blocked duct twice and will probably have one again this weekend.

Great reminder. I need to do that more.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 pm

So Colleen told me that Colette had said when you feel like slowing down or stopping while running to speed up. So I tried it today. And I cursed both of you :)

But in the end, my 3rd rep felt great! I wish my Garmin hadn't kept dropping signal, so that it would be a little more accurate (the battery was very low). It was 3.5 km in 33 minutes, with a 5 minute walking warmup and 3x1 minute walk breaks (3x8 min running, with a little extra at the end). I am still struggling with the first 20 minutes or so of running, but it is nice to feel the latter half "clicking" into place. If that makes sense...

In parenting: we have started Damon on solids, and he has completely taken to them. He now sits on his own for extended periods of time, and he is also very bouncy and very grabby! John was my little observer, a little cautious, and Damon is my doer. He wants to grab everything. I have a feeling some serious babyproofing will be in order soon.

I'm getting more and more crabby as my surgery date approaches. Looking forward to that being OVER with so I can go back to being less snappy. I am doing my best to not be cranky, but it's not always working.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 pm

so, a co-worker of mine that recently went back to work after a year of mat leave (as a single mom) just posted about "once a month mom" - it's a "big day of cooking" type of thing where you make a ton of meals for the month.

it has everything in the website - grocery lists, instructions, et c. It took awhile for me to work my way through it, but, I think I'm going to give it a try.

I've been in a huge meal planing/cooking slump lately - I need to mix things up! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:38 am

Irongirl wrote:so, a co-worker of mine that recently went back to work after a year of mat leave (as a single mom) just posted about "once a month mom" - it's a "big day of cooking" type of thing where you make a ton of meals for the month.

it has everything in the website - grocery lists, instructions, et c. It took awhile for me to work my way through it, but, I think I'm going to give it a try.

I've been in a huge meal planing/cooking slump lately - I need to mix things up! :)

Let me know how it goes. That sounds very cool.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 am

Irongirl wrote:so, a co-worker of mine that recently went back to work after a year of mat leave (as a single mom) just posted about "once a month mom" - it's a "big day of cooking" type of thing where you make a ton of meals for the month.

I've done this before - not a full months, but a big day of cooking all at once. It is a lot of work on the day, but feels good through the month. You should try some of those "freeze and slowcook" meals that I posted in the NET from the website pts hates! ( :lol: ) - I think this is what that woman does.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 am

I have a really good cookbook called Fix, Freeze and Feast.

It is all recipes that you can prep, freeze and then pull out of the freezer the night before (I let mine thaw overnight in the fridge) and then cook the next day. It is so nice to have the menu decided and all the prep work done ahead of time!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:46 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I've done this before - not a full months, but a big day of cooking all at once. It is a lot of work on the day, but feels good through the month. You should try some of those "freeze and slowcook" meals that I posted in the NET from the website pts hates! ( :lol: ) - I think this is what that woman does.

I think I'll try this website for a month - it gives you 3x2 breakfasts, 4x2 lunches and 8x2 suppers (every meal is made twice) - the fact that it gives the grocery list, and, it's customizable for different family sizes is so cool! It also has a "whole foods" menu that i might try if the "traditional menu" goes well!
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:49 pm

I've made a few meals off the once a month site, but I haven't tried a full day of cooking (yet?). I stocked the freezer before I went back to work by doubling a bunch of recipes. We've eaten freezer meals about 3 days a week for the last few weeks. It's making life so much easier!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 pm

hmm - i could just use the recipe cards (they've doubled the recipes on there) and make some doubled recipes.

something about the full day excites me though! :)
i run for me.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Make sure to post reviews if you do. I've checked out that site and have been tempted to to do. But haven't mostly due to laziness! There is also a cookbook called "the big cook" that lays out recipes and instructions to get a group of people together to do meal prep that I've been interested in trying out.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 pm

eme wrote:I have a really good cookbook called Fix, Freeze and Feast.

It is all recipes that you can prep, freeze and then pull out of the freezer the night before (I let mine thaw overnight in the fridge) and then cook the next day. It is so nice to have the menu decided and all the prep work done ahead of time!

I'll have to check that one out! I have "Dream Dinners" (I think it is called) - which is by women who opened a place similar to supperworks - batch cooking that you prep multiples and freeze a couple before you cook them. I tend to prefer this to casseroles etc that are baked and then re-heated. I haven't made any of the recipes, but will report in when I do!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Irongirl wrote:hmm - i could just use the recipe cards (they've doubled the recipes on there) and make some doubled recipes.

that's what I've done. I'll post the links to the ones I've made...

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:55 pm

jes wrote:
Irongirl wrote:hmm - i could just use the recipe cards (they've doubled the recipes on there) and make some doubled recipes.

The Mexican Baked Penne was good and froze well.

http://onceamonthmom.com/traditional-se ... r-cooking/

I can't find the other stuff I've made on the site. There was something else from the September menu, but I can't find it now that the Oct menu is up.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:05 am

Race start is 48h (or less) from now and I am feeling nervous. I haven't truly trained and tapered for a race since my last marathon in 2007. I have a plan and will race it to the best to my ability. I have done everything I can with the time I had, and what my body had in me. I am looking forward to the experience, and luckily will have great scenery and friends to help dissipate.

Will be thinking of the other HRMs while out on the course for hours. Think of me too a but, would ya? :lol:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 am

jes wrote:
jes wrote:

The Mexican Baked Penne was good and froze well.

http://onceamonthmom.com/traditional-se ... r-cooking/

I can't find the other stuff I've made on the site. There was something else from the September menu, but I can't find it now that the Oct menu is up.

Made the Mexican pasta yesterday and loved it! Here's one I've made recently (I put it in the slow cooker, drop the water to 1/4 or 1/2 cup)

http://www.sweetpotatochronicles.com/wo ... kin-chili/
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 am

IronColl wrote:Race start is 48h (or less) from now and I am feeling nervous. I haven't truly trained and tapered for a race since my last marathon in 2007. I have a plan and will race it to the best to my ability. I have done everything I can with the time I had, and what my body had in me. I am looking forward to the experience, and luckily will have great scenery and friends to help dissipate.

Will be thinking of the other HRMs while out on the course for hours. Think of me too a but, would ya? :lol:

Good luck!! Will be looking forward to a report of the good, the bad and the ugly!! Hopefully with mostly good. :D

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:03 am

I will be thinking of all the HRMs (and bytches) while running this weekend! :D

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Good luck HRMs racing this weekend!

IronColl, you'll definitely run farther than me this weekend :D

starflower
Tom Longboat

Postby starflower » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:02 pm

IronColl wrote:Race start is 48h (or less) from now and I am feeling nervous. I haven't truly trained and tapered for a race since my last marathon in 2007. I have a plan and will race it to the best to my ability. I have done everything I can with the time I had, and what my body had in me. I am looking forward to the experience, and luckily will have great scenery and friends to help dissipate.

Good luck this weekend!
Rebecca

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:21 am

I read that as "think of my butt." Go IC's butt, go! :lol:

Return to “The Scenic Route”