Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree, anners! Go IC's butt, go!!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Lightning wrote:Go IC's butt, go!!!!

LIKE!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:55 am

Go ICs butt GO!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 am

tracking IC's butt right now!! go, HRM, go!!

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok - I think I can finally officially join the hrm's!!! Cassie was born two weeks ago, and life has been a bit of a blur since. Until I get the 6 week all clear, it is just walking and surviving for me... But as soon as I get the 'yes' from the dr., I can't wait to start running again!!! So glad to finally join the club!

In the meantime - I am having major issues with bm supply, and am concerned with the effect that starting to run might have (I am taking domperidone to get supply up for the time being). Any words of wisdom?
Next?
:)

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:46 pm

rockstar79 wrote:Ok - I think I can finally officially join the hrm's!!! Cassie was born two weeks ago, and life has been a bit of a blur since. Until I get the 6 week all clear, it is just walking and surviving for me... But as soon as I get the 'yes' from the dr., I can't wait to start running again!!! So glad to finally join the club!

In the meantime - I am having major issues with bm supply, and am concerned with the effect that starting to run might have (I am taking domperidone to get supply up for the time being). Any words of wisdom?

Awww, Cassie! What a great name. Congratulations!!!!! And we are so lucky to have you as part of the club!!

There are a lot of BF experts on here who know wayyyy more than I do so I hope they will chime in. I never found that running affected my supply---but maybe I was just so freaking tired I did not notice?
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Congrats, Rockstar!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:18 pm

rockstar79 wrote:Ok - I think I can finally officially join the hrm's!!! Cassie was born two weeks ago, and life has been a bit of a blur since. Until I get the 6 week all clear, it is just walking and surviving for me... But as soon as I get the 'yes' from the dr., I can't wait to start running again!!! So glad to finally join the club!

Congratulations, rockstar!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:24 am

Congratulations Rockstar!

Your supply should be pretty well regulated by 6 weeks, so running likely won't have much of an effect (unless you decide to train for an ultra or something else crazy :lol: )

I started back at about 6 weeks, but my body wasn't ready. I pulled the plug after 2 or 3 runs and waited another few months. By 6 months I was up to about 45k a week and I'll be doing a marathon in 2.5 weeks (13 mths PP). Gulp!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:47 am

Congrats Rockstar! GOod luck with the return to running (when you are up to it).

No advice from me either on the supply issue. I had the same issues and never figured it out. :?

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:12 am

jes wrote:Congratulations Rockstar!

Your supply should be pretty well regulated by 6 weeks, so running likely won't have much of an effect (unless you decide to train for an ultra or something else crazy :lol: )

I started back at about 6 weeks, but my body wasn't ready. I pulled the plug after 2 or 3 runs and waited another few months. By 6 months I was up to about 45k a week and I'll be doing a marathon in 2.5 weeks (13 mths PP). Gulp!

I agree, and ditto here. Well, except that I didn't pull the plug completely, but I kept the running super easy until I felt more comfortable. And my big PP race was a 30k, not a marathon :)

I love the name Cassie...it was on my shortlist last time, but DH wasn't crazy about it.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:25 am

Hurray and congrats. Cassie is a great name. Do we get to see some pics?

I had major supply issues too, long before I started running so I don't think that one affected the other. My words of wisdom would be to do what works for your family. I tried for 3 months with both kids to breastfeed and I tried everything. It just didn't work for me. I had the benefit of having a great breastfeeding clinic really close to home so I was there weekly to get advice and guidance. PM me if you want to chat more about it. There is also another HRM on here who was super helpful and supportive of me when I was struggling and I appreciated her input too.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am

Congratulations! Yes - we demand pictures! I have a niece named (with a K) - Kassie!

In running news over here - I moved C out of the bucket in the BOB and into the big part of the stroller this week. It makes SUCH a difference for running, especially when there's wind. I feel like I'm flying! Only downside is I can't see her cute face, or notice that she's fussing because her hat is covering her eyes. Still trying to figure out how to dress her for the cooler weather though.

Jes and I are running the 5km on Saturday - looking forward to a big PPPB, since my last 5km was after only being back at running for 5 weeks post charlotte.
Last edited by scrumhalfgirl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Congratulations! Yes - we demand pictures! I have a niece named (with a K) - Kassie!

In running news over here - I moved C out of the bucket in the BOB and into the big part of the stroller this week. It makes SUCH a difference for running, especially when there's wind. I feel like I'm flying! Only downside is I can't see her cute face, or notice that she's fussing because her hat is covering her eyes. Still trying to figure out how to dress her for the cooler weather though.

Jes and I are running the 5km on Saturday - looking forward to a big PPPB, since my last 5km was after only being back at running for 5 weeks PP.

Yeah we're gonna PPPB! (I'm planning on a regular old PB as well :wink: )

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 am

Congratulations again and welcome to the club!

Words of wisdom: listen to your body and do what's best for you and Cassie. You have your life time to run so if you feel it is affecting your supply then maybe stop for a while. Cassie will get everything from you, just like pregnancy, so she will be fine, but remember to take care of yourself. And eat!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 pm

IronColl wrote:Congratulations again and welcome to the club!

Words of wisdom: listen to your body and do what's best for you and Cassie. You have your life time to run so if you feel it is affecting your supply then maybe stop for a while. Cassie will get everything from you, just like pregnancy, so she will be fine, but remember to take care of yourself. And eat!

IC is very wise (as is the advice from Kristi above).

Congrats!! :)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 pm

IronColl wrote:Congratulations again and welcome to the club!

IC is very wise (as is the advice from Kristi above).

Congrats!! :)

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Welcome to the world, Cassie! Congratulations!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

looks like someone set a new 5k benchmark for me this past weekend :- The pressure is on after this baby is born! :mrgreen:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:10 pm

anners wrote:looks like someone set a new 5k benchmark for me this past weekend :- The pressure is on after this baby is born! :mrgreen:

Me or other Jess?

Are you chasing me and I'm chasing Scrummy? I don't want to do another 5k again soon....

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:16 pm

jes wrote:
anners wrote:looks like someone set a new 5k benchmark for me this past weekend :- The pressure is on after this baby is born! :mrgreen:

Me or other Jess?

Are you chasing me and I'm chasing Scrummy? I don't want to do another 5k again soon....

I thought I could chase you, but I am not so sure anymore :lol:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 pm

jes wrote:

Me or other Jess?

See, I'm pumped to run another 5k and see if I can go 22:XX. Five ks are painful - but over quick! That's why I avoid 10ks - they hurt as much, but are twice as long!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:23 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

Me or other Jess?

See, I'm pumped to run another 5k and see if I can go 22:XX. Five ks are painful - but over quick! That's why I avoid 10ks - they hurt as much, but are twice as long!

Don't even talk to me about 10ks. I need to PB at one sometime before next November to qualify for a K2J award (PBs at all major distances in a 15mth period) (assuming I PB in Hamilton :lol: )

I won't be going for a 22:XX attempt anytime soon! But next summer....

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 pm

jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

Me or other Jess?

Don't even talk to me about 10ks. I need to PB at one sometime before next November to qualify for a K2J award (PBs at all major distances in a 15mth period) (assuming I PB in Hamilton :lol: )

I won't be going for a 22:XX attempt anytime soon! But next summer....

I can definitely tell you that at 7k last weekend, I was wishing I had registered for the 5k instead. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Irongirl wrote:I can definitely tell you that at 7k last weekend, I was wishing I had registered for the 5k instead. ;)

That's how you're supposed to feel in a 10K. ;) If you were running the 5K, by the 3K mark you'd have been wishing you stayed home. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “The Scenic Route”