Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
geobandito
Johnny Miles

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby geobandito » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

IronColl wrote:Happy birthday Lightning. You are an amazing mother, teacher, runner and friend. All the best to you today!

Happy birthday, Lightning!!!! Hope you're having a great day.
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks my HRM Friends! What a nice few messages. So thoughtful!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

This momma is starting week 4 of a couch to 10 k program! I have been running for a month! I have a 12 week old!!! Where does the time go?
Next?
:)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm still not running. :oops: I am just starting to even out again after my Dad's death. For the first weeks, it was all I could do to get through each day without falling apart. I have a few things lined up for the new year, and am going to ease back into things slowly. No point in throwing myself into everything, getting discouraged/injured and quitting. I'm still struggling with my Dad, but it's not a fresh wound anymore.

John's vocabulary is exploding. The other day he saw a book in the basement that had Bert and Ernie on the cover, and he pointed at each one and said their names. He is learning his shapes, colours, numbers, letters, items of clothing, and the other day in the bath told Damon "Out of the mouth!" (Well, "Out Da Mouf!") when Damon started chewing on a toy. He dances pretty much everywhere, or jumps. Walking is for suckers.

Damon is frustrated that he can only go backwards, but can get to sitting from his tummy, and can pull himself up occasionally. It pretty much happened overnight. Still no teeth! I was looking through pictures, and at this age John had 5 teeth, with the 6th popping. Damon has none, but tons of drool, and I swear his gums have been bulging for months, but still nothing. My two babies are like night and day.

Hope to hear more Momma reports! I love getting inspiration from all of you! :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:08 pm

rockstar79 wrote:This momma is starting week 4 of a couch to 10 k program! I have been running for a month! I have a 12 week old!!! Where does the time go?

Great job! BTW I still love your FB statuses. They make me smile.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 am

IronColl wrote:
rockstar79 wrote:This momma is starting week 4 of a couch to 10 k program! I have been running for a month! I have a 12 week old!!! Where does the time go?

Glad to be of service! :)

Has anyone done the 30 day shred? Hubby is going away again this month, and c is still too small to go for a run with mom... So I am looking for classes to take and things to do to keeps active in the meantime. Any other suggestions?
Next?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:03 am

rockstar79 wrote:
IronColl wrote:

Glad to be of service! :)

Has anyone done the 30 day shred? Hubby is going away again this month, and c is still too small to go for a run with mom... So I am looking for classes to take and things to do to keeps active in the meantime. Any other suggestions?

i have it! i did it quite a few times when my C was little - 25 minutes was perfect for those newborn cat naps - she was often in the swing with mt in the living room. I didn't do it every day, but it was a nice workout - and the DVD is fairly cheap too. I've been doing a mom and baby bootcamp class since Charlotte was about 12 weeks that I LOVE. We don't make it as often now, because of her nap schedule, but it is a fabulous workout and baby can come along (plus I've always really liked the other people in the class since they are fitness minded. Plus Charlotte loves to see all the other babies!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 am

It always makes me happy to see people posting in this thread :D I'm working on running consistently right now - I was so impressed with myself that I ran on Christmas Day on the treadmill. Sure, I had to watch Diego save Santa while I was running instead of a "mommy show", but at least I got to run.

Let's share some cute kids Christmas stories! Christmas morning was funny at our house, Timmy took a few things out of his stocking and then was done. No need for any more presents apparently. Except for his new orange underwear which was perhaps the best received gift - he immediately opened the package and put on a new pair. Please tell me your cute holiday moments!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:06 am

I love the updates too. :)

I am not running much because I did something weird to my ankle. I don't really know how I did it even, it just started to hurt about 2 weeks ago and goes between hurting a lot and just a bit. I was hoping to get out today but woke up to a 'hurting a lot' day :(

Christmas was fun at our house, although G was sick on the actual day. Poor guy :( My favorite thing is that Gavin keeps trying to negotiate advents every day, and has decided that since we are done with Christmas advents he should get some leading up to his birthday (in January). :lol: Overall, kids were not too spoiled (which was my main wish) and Christmas morning with just the immediate family was great (despite a sick boy).

I am trying to pick a spring 10k for a goal race, but getting discouraged because I seem to just have one injury after another :(
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 am

I'm not running either right now. My lower back and hip were just too sore after every run.

I decided to take a month off and wait until I get back to work - and then focus on running, since I can get to chiro and massage appointments, and, I can go to yoga at lunch!

Christmas was a whirlwind here. The kids slept in until 8 (I was up at 7:30).....then, the big kids arrived by 10, we opened presents and were on the road by noon to drive to Kitchener.

Kitchener was okay. The junk food situation wasn't that bad this year, and, Delilah doesn't seem interested in candy or chocolate milk, thankfully.

Delilah keeps insisting that Dexter wants to share his toys with her. :P
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 am

Kristi wrote:Let's share some cute kids Christmas stories! Christmas morning was funny at our house, Timmy took a few things out of his stocking and then was done. No need for any more presents apparently. Except for his new orange underwear which was perhaps the best received gift - he immediately opened the package and put on a new pair. Please tell me your cute holiday moments!

Jake did something similar. He opened a few presents and then went to lie on his bed because he was taking a break. It took him a lot of convincing to open more presents. This was after a half hour break.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 am

Both my kids were a little overwhelmed and confused, but they are both pretty little :) It took us a couple of hours to open everything, and John figured everything was for him, including Damon's presents. Damon got an ambulance that I have to keep reminding John that Damon is sharing with him, not the other way around!

Due to all the excitement, John skipped nap. We had a video on for him, and looked over at one point to see this:

We covered him with Dan's snuggie and let him sleep there for a bit.

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Cassie went to sleep and we had Christmas paralyzers... Followed by my first hangover since the night of Cassie's creation. ;). Your posts make me so excited for next year when c will be old enough to participate (in the presents... Not the paralyzers :D).
Next?

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

Christmas paralysers!! Awesome!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Please tell me that I will be a better mommy once I am not pregnant anymore. I have no patience with V and I feel like a monster. :cry:

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:50 pm

I have no advice, Ann... But I can offer a virtual hug. :(
Next?

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:19 pm

anners wrote:Please tell me that I will be a better mommy once I am not pregnant anymore. I have no patience with V and I feel like a monster. :cry:

A friend of mine told me a quote from a friend:

"I used to be a good mom. Now I am a mom of two."

You are not a monster. I know how it feels to have no patience. I have snapped at John (in my opinion) WAY too much. I try to take deep breaths, and when I am at my most frustrated and John is misbehaving, I will ask him if he needs a hug. He often does, and it helps me, too.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:18 pm

anners wrote:Please tell me that I will be a better mommy once I am not pregnant anymore. I have no patience with V and I feel like a monster. :cry:

You will still be the same amazing mommy that you are now. V knows you love her. We all have our moments.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Give her a Christmas paralyzer. Or have one yourself.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks ladies.

FP, that is cute. V loves giving hugs...the problem is that she also loves to climb on me, and it hurts my belly.

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:18 am

AndyM wrote:

Give her a Christmas paralyzer. Or have one yourself.

+1. :)
Next?

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 pm

New to the game here... but hell yes, you will do better when you're not pregnant. I swear. I was a hormonal mess when I was pregnant with my second, and I had zero patience with E, who was 3 at the time. Make time for quiet cuddles, and just remember that "this too shall pass".

Also, hello! I'm Samantha, mom of 2 (4 & 1), and just getting back in the running groove after being on my couch far, far too long. Looking forward to hanging out here! :)
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm

oobinsnaffa wrote:

New to the game here... but hell yes, you will do better when you're not pregnant. I swear. I was a hormonal mess when I was pregnant with my second, and I had zero patience with E, who was 3 at the time. Make time for quiet cuddles, and just remember that "this too shall pass".

Also, hello! I'm Samantha, mom of 2 (4 & 1), and just getting back in the running groove after being on my couch far, far too long. Looking forward to hanging out here! :)

Welcome Samantha! :)

Ann- I think I have told you before, but it is worth repeating, being pregnant with a toddler is soooo hard, be kind to yourself, you are doing the best that you can. When are you off for good?

From me, a good week, one run (maybe another one tonight if I can can finish some edits I need to do). :)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Welcome Samantha!

Thanks ladies. Taking things one day at a time. I gave notice for my maternity leave and have 3 weeks of work left. I'm going off a full month before my due date...I feel like I need it.

How is everyone else doing??

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:27 pm

anners wrote:Welcome Samantha!

Thanks ladies. Taking things one day at a time. I gave notice for my maternity leave and have 3 weeks of work left. I'm going off a full month before my due date...I feel like I need it.

How is everyone else doing??

That's great Ann! Will V still be in day care when you're off?

I'm plugging away. Marathon training starts next week, so I'm trying to enjoy the last week of not having a schedule. 17k with AndyM and Marg this morning - great day for a run!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Return to “The Scenic Route”