Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Aww, thanks everyone. I am excited too, and the word 'crazy' has crossed my lips a few times (although, Colleen makes it look so easy, so it has to be, right? RIGHT?). :lol: If my soon-to-be middle child was a bit more easygoing and not so, umm, 'determined' (or stubborn!) then I would be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, but M is a force to be reckoned with!

Kristi- anemic? That sucks! I hope you get it figured out soon.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:08 pm

No more babies here...I gave my maternity clothes to pts! :lol: Congratulations again!

Kristi, hope your energy levels return soon...I mean, as much as they can with your active kids!

Good work on the half/full training, rocky and Lightning!

I went for my first stroller run with N this morning. It is becoming apparent that I can't wait for her to go to sleep at night so I can run, because, well, she doesn't sleep. So stroller running it is, as much as I hate it. 3k done in yucky humidity. It's a start.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am

I got a nudge to check in here. :)
Congrats Erin! Lovely news. Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy.

Big thumbs up to you ladies, parenting is hard work; everything else is extra impressive. 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 am

pts wrote:Aww, thanks everyone. I am excited too, and the word 'crazy' has crossed my lips a few times (although, Colleen makes it look so easy, so it has to be, right? RIGHT?). :lol: If my soon-to-be middle child was a bit more easygoing and not so, umm, 'determined' (or stubborn!) then I would be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, but M is a force to be reckoned with!

Kristi- anemic? That sucks! I hope you get it figured out soon.

Lol it's easy? I mean, yes. Easiest thing ever.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 pm

So... Umm. I'm doing a half marathon tomorrow. I really haven't had time to get nervous until now, but now that my clothes are laid out as I have prepared enough food that my child and husband won't starve for the morning (ahem, week), I am beginning to feel some butterflies.

Gulp?
Next?
:)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:00 am

Good luck Rockstar!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 am

I think you're already running by now so I'm cheering you on! Hope it is going well!

AFM...I'm gearing up for what will probably be the most insane 2 months we've had in some time. DH's rugby coaching season will be starting shortly and it is their first year as a varsity team. At the same time, he's trying to complete the final study for his PhD, which involves long hours of testing here in Ottawa and frequent trips to Sherbrooke. Oh right...and I'm working a demanding job, that will just get busier come September. Hopefully we all make it through in one piece!

In running-related news, my reluctant walker decided she was going to skip walking and go straight to running at 15.5 months. This child has no first gear - she's 0 to 60!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I think you're already running by now so I'm cheering you on! Hope it is going well!

AFM...I'm gearing up for what will probably be the most insane 2 months we've had in some time. DH's rugby coaching season will be starting shortly and it is their first year as a varsity team. At the same time, he's trying to complete the final study for his PhD, which involves long hours of testing here in Ottawa and frequent trips to Sherbrooke. Oh right...and I'm working a demanding job, that will just get busier come September. Hopefully we all make it through in one piece!

In running-related news, my reluctant walker decided she was going to skip walking and go straight to running at 15.5 months. This child has no first gear - she's 0 to 60!

How was it Rockstar?

So cute Scrummy!

I'm creeping the Hot Mamas! I hope you are all well and happy and getting sleep *ahem, Anners* :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Erin, I can't believe I almost missed this news! Congratulations on the baby and the job!!
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm

fe.RMT wrote:Erin, I can't believe I almost missed this news! Congratulations on the baby and the job!!

I creeped in here when I saw that Terri was here.

Awesome news Erin!!!!!! :D :D

hmmm...I'm wondering how Rockstar's HalfM went??? :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:Erin, I can't believe I almost missed this news! Congratulations on the baby and the job!!

I creeped in here when I saw that Terri was here.

Awesome news Erin!!!!!! :D :D

hmmm...I'm wondering how Rockstar's HalfM went??? :D

I saw a great FB picture with baby + medal, but no report yet!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Congrats Erin!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 am

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I'm having one of those days/weeks where I'm so overwhelmed by life that I just can't see how things are going to work out.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:02 am

Irongirl wrote:Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I'm having one of those days/weeks where I'm so overwhelmed by life that I just can't see how things are going to work out.

Ditto over here. I'm trying to take a deep breath, not get too grumpy at my kids (it is not their fault I am having to do work stuff while I am with them), and remember that in the grand scheme of things I am so fortunate. Not sure if that helps you, my mood is still overwhelmed but I am trying to keep some perspective.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
I'm creeping the Hot Mamas! I hope you are all well and happy and getting sleep *ahem, Anners* :D

Sleep? No sleep happening here. She was up for the day at 6am. It's now 10:20pm and she is still going strong. Me, I can barely keep my eyes open.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 am

anners wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

Sleep? No sleep happening here. She was up for the day at 6am. It's now 10:20pm and she is still going strong. Me, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Boo! I don't sleep anymore either. I have a terrible sleeping toddler who refuses to go to bed at a reasonable hour. And on the off chance she does, she's up at an unreasonable hour. She has ruined my sleep forever, I've decided. Even when I am blessed with the time for a good night's sleep, I don't. :(

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:19 am

AndyM wrote:
anners wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

Boo! I don't sleep anymore either. I have a terrible sleeping toddler who refuses to go to bed at a reasonable hour. And on the off chance she does, she's up at an unreasonable hour. She has ruined my sleep forever, I've decided. Even when I am blessed with the time for a good night's sleep, I don't. :(

That's about a summary of our family as well. The little one goes to bed easily but wakes up multiple times a night. The older one likes 10:30 - 11 as his preferred bedtime. I'm optimistic that this will change when he starts school in a few weeks. One day I won't be able to get them out of bed and I'll look back on this time fondly, right?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

Kristi wrote:
AndyM wrote:
anners wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

That's about a summary of our family as well. The little one goes to bed easily but wakes up multiple times a night. The older one likes 10:30 - 11 as his preferred bedtime. I'm optimistic that this will change when he starts school in a few weeks. One day I won't be able to get them out of bed and I'll look back on this time fondly, right?

When they are teenagers, they stay up late and then you can't get them out of bed. My 18 yr old is currently on summer break between high school and university - sometimes I am kicking him to bed almost when it is time for me to get up!

I have already decided that I am not going to chase him out of be for university - he is an 'adult' now :shock: and he can get up on his own :lol:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am

John has started waking up in the night for no apparent reason. He wants to come sleep in our bed, and we take him back to his and tuck him in. It is probably our fault since we let him sleep with us if he is sick. So I go to hustle him back to bed last night and he said "My bed is full of pee". I go in and look, and sure enough, there is a puddle in the bed, which for some dumb reason I stick my hand in to see if it is ACTUALLY wet (I don't function well at 5 am, ok!?) and it smells like pee. I am not sure if his pull-up leaked or if he decided to whip it out to make a puddle, but either way we had to change his sheets and jammies. Dan stripped down John while I stripped his bed. John was pretty excited "I'm naked!!" and was up two more times before Dan's alarm went off, which was when Damon was awake. John is still sleeping. :roll:

So yeah. Not a lot of sleeping here, either, and my running has been woefully inconsistent. I am loving seeing everyone's FB updates with their running successes (way to go, rockstar!!), so please keep posting, ladies :) Also loving all the adorable summer kid pics.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm

We don't sleep at our house either. Marianne is up about 3 times a night (and she sleeps in our room so it is not too bad, she just wants to lie across us), and Gavin is hit or miss. Sometimes he is up 3 times, other nights he sleeps right through. One day we will sleep, right?

eme- I dream of the sleep-in stage, I am going to sleep in until noon when my kids are teens, just because I can!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 pm

pts wrote:We don't sleep at our house either. Marianne is up about 3 times a night (and she sleeps in our room so it is not too bad, she just wants to lie across us), and Gavin is hit or miss. Sometimes he is up 3 times, other nights he sleeps right through. One day we will sleep, right?

eme- I dream of the sleep-in stage, I am going to sleep in until noon when my kids are teens, just because I can!

it's a lot easier with teenagers than babies. :) I don't look back at those sleepless days with any fondness, no. I've pretty much blocked it out. Although I'm sure it will get easier for you mommies soon too; it doesn't last forever. :) I admire you all for keeping up with your busy work and personal schedules.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't expect my baby to sleep through the night, but I expect her to go down at a reasonable hour and stay asleep long enough for me to shower. Most nights, that is too much to ask.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 am

anners wrote:I don't expect my baby to sleep through the night, but I expect her to go down at a reasonable hour and stay asleep long enough for me to shower. Most nights, that is too much to ask.

Ya, the reasonable hour thing always gets me. When my kids are going down at a normal time and I get some 'adult' time in the night I am much happier than when I spend 2+ hours trying to get them to sleep. Luckily, right now my kids are at an age that most nights they go to sleep ok (well, until #3 comes at least). Hang in there Ann!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am

anners wrote:I don't expect my baby to sleep through the night, but I expect her to go down at a reasonable hour and stay asleep long enough for me to shower. Most nights, that is too much to ask.

We went through a similar phase with C in the evenings - she'd be up every 45 minutes or so from 7 pm onwards. I don't know how we fixed it - I don't think we did - she just eventually outgrew it.

Hang in there!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks! I'm ok. I'm just trying to roll with it and adapt to her...she changes all the time, so there are no "tricks" to get her sleeping better. I did a couple of stroller runs last week, but it's just not happening this week. I'm trying to not be hard on myself...we're in survival mode here!

Return to “The Scenic Route”