Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 am

Ahhh....good old reliable survival mode. How I know it well.

Justin used to be up every night for a reason or another, but since we moved he has been the most reliable sleeper of the bunch.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12208
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 am

IronColl wrote:Ahhh....good old reliable survival mode. How I know it well.

Justin used to be up every night for a reason or another, but since we moved he has been the most reliable sleeper of the bunch.


So are you suggesting Ann moves? Elora is a nice town Ann (and I know someone who would commute with you into work even!). :)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

User avatar
Engmomma
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 11380
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:40 pm
Location: Mennonite-ville

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Engmomma » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 pm

{engmomma pokes head in}

It is odd being at the whole other end of the spectrum in the game of child rearing. While you guys are having sleepless nights cause the darling just.won't.sleep. I now have sleepless nights worrying about how I screwed them up during the younger years.

The trauma of parenting makes me think somedays I should have just had puppies.

{waves...thanks for letting me hang out}
The Summer of Eng is over.

User avatar
Kristi
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 pm
Location: Brampton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Engmomma wrote:{engmomma pokes head in}

It is odd being at the whole other end of the spectrum in the game of child rearing. While you guys are having sleepless nights cause the darling just.won't.sleep. I now have sleepless nights worrying about how I screwed them up during the younger years.

The trauma of parenting makes me think somedays I should have just had puppies.

{waves...thanks for letting me hang out}


Come in anytime. You're proof that this phase does end and there is hope to make it out alive!!

Anners - baby #2 is way more trouble for me too. Despite the fact that I'm philosophically not supportive of co-sleeping for my family - I do it every night (yes, every night!) out of necessity because that is the only way that anyone gets any sleep. You do what you have to do!

*Note, I don't judge anyone's choices on co-sleeping, just that if I had the choice, I wouldn't do it. Especially not every frigging night :)

User avatar
Kristi
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 pm
Location: Brampton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

How is everyone doing with back to school? My first baby starts school tomorrow. I thought that I was ready, but I'm not so sure. I've been having panicked moments all day wondering what he is going to do during recess, will he be supervised, what if he hates his lunch and goes hungry all day, what if he doesn't make any friends?? Nothing rational :roll: He is excited and I'm sure that he'll be fine, but some days logic just doesn't help.

User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 am

Kristi wrote:How is everyone doing with back to school? My first baby starts school tomorrow. I thought that I was ready, but I'm not so sure. I've been having panicked moments all day wondering what he is going to do during recess, will he be supervised, what if he hates his lunch and goes hungry all day, what if he doesn't make any friends?? Nothing rational :roll: He is excited and I'm sure that he'll be fine, but some days logic just doesn't help.


We start Thursday. I am having the same issues. I made practice lunchbox lunches this weekend to make sure he could open everything up. I am also nervous about him writing and colouring, I think the kid is ambidextrous (?), coming from a family of a lot of lefties he is still flip flopping which hand to use, so I worry his scribbles and printing will be an issue. Also I am still not sold on the concept of full day JK and he is in a class of 28! :shock: We did get told to pack a blanket for quiet time. I also worry that owen will starve at lunch since he doesn't really eat any other kind of sandwich besides PB and the class isn't peanut free unless there is an allergy but we don't if there is an allergy yet. Oh and a kid he was in kindermusic with as a baby has turned into a super high behaviour child (was spitting on the slides on teacher night, pulling kids off the monkey bars, rude and screaming at the teacher) and sure enough he is in owen's class.

I am sure he will be fine, but I don't like that he is growing up so quick! He tells me he needs to go to school since he needs to start doing homework. :lol:

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 am

Zack has been telling me that he goes to work! We're skipping school all together!

Me: Mommy has to go back to work tomorrow, Zack.
Zack: Me too!
Me: Where do you work?
Zack: At Amy's house (our daycare provider).
Me: Oh? And what do you do at work?
Zack: I play!
Me: I expect you to bring home a pay cheque this week, buddy!

I can't believe Owen is going to school already! Seems like just yesterday he was toilet training :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 am

Good luck at school Timmy and Owen! Exciting!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
Kristi
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 pm
Location: Brampton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 am

Tori wrote:
Kristi wrote:How is everyone doing with back to school? My first baby starts school tomorrow. I thought that I was ready, but I'm not so sure. I've been having panicked moments all day wondering what he is going to do during recess, will he be supervised, what if he hates his lunch and goes hungry all day, what if he doesn't make any friends?? Nothing rational :roll: He is excited and I'm sure that he'll be fine, but some days logic just doesn't help.


We start Thursday. I am having the same issues. I made practice lunchbox lunches this weekend to make sure he could open everything up. I am also nervous about him writing and colouring, I think the kid is ambidextrous (?), coming from a family of a lot of lefties he is still flip flopping which hand to use, so I worry his scribbles and printing will be an issue. Also I am still not sold on the concept of full day JK and he is in a class of 28! :shock: We did get told to pack a blanket for quiet time. I also worry that owen will starve at lunch since he doesn't really eat any other kind of sandwich besides PB and the class isn't peanut free unless there is an allergy but we don't if there is an allergy yet. Oh and a kid he was in kindermusic with as a baby has turned into a super high behaviour child (was spitting on the slides on teacher night, pulling kids off the monkey bars, rude and screaming at the teacher) and sure enough he is in owen's class.

I am sure he will be fine, but I don't like that he is growing up so quick! He tells me he needs to go to school since he needs to start doing homework. :lol:


You sound about as calm and rational as I do! I have visions of him not being able to open his lunch box and going hungry. I think that this is highly unlikely as he can do it and the teacher assured me that she would help if necessary. He thinks that he has been going to school for years now since we always called daycare "school", but this is different for me. Our public school is still half days so we opted for private school for this year because of the full day program. Although, there are only 15 kids in his class and we know a number of teachers at the school, so I am happy about that. One of the teachers lives on our street and has assured me that he will check in on my little boy during the day.

I feel like I'm back at school myself wondering if he is dressed okay, or if he'll be the kid with the smelly lunch or if I forgot something important in his backpack. I actually had butterflies in my stomach this morning in anticipation. He just walked in quite confidently.

Good luck on Thursday Tori. Let us know how it goes!

User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 am

Kristi wrote:
Tori wrote:
Kristi wrote:How is everyone doing with back to school? My first baby starts school tomorrow. I thought that I was ready, but I'm not so sure. I've been having panicked moments all day wondering what he is going to do during recess, will he be supervised, what if he hates his lunch and goes hungry all day, what if he doesn't make any friends?? Nothing rational :roll: He is excited and I'm sure that he'll be fine, but some days logic just doesn't help.


We start Thursday. I am having the same issues. I made practice lunchbox lunches this weekend to make sure he could open everything up. I am also nervous about him writing and colouring, I think the kid is ambidextrous (?), coming from a family of a lot of lefties he is still flip flopping which hand to use, so I worry his scribbles and printing will be an issue. Also I am still not sold on the concept of full day JK and he is in a class of 28! :shock: We did get told to pack a blanket for quiet time. I also worry that owen will starve at lunch since he doesn't really eat any other kind of sandwich besides PB and the class isn't peanut free unless there is an allergy but we don't if there is an allergy yet. Oh and a kid he was in kindermusic with as a baby has turned into a super high behaviour child (was spitting on the slides on teacher night, pulling kids off the monkey bars, rude and screaming at the teacher) and sure enough he is in owen's class.

I am sure he will be fine, but I don't like that he is growing up so quick! He tells me he needs to go to school since he needs to start doing homework. :lol:


You sound about as calm and rational as I do! I have visions of him not being able to open his lunch box and going hungry. I think that this is highly unlikely as he can do it and the teacher assured me that she would help if necessary. He thinks that he has been going to school for years now since we always called daycare "school", but this is different for me. Our public school is still half days so we opted for private school for this year because of the full day program. Although, there are only 15 kids in his class and we know a number of teachers at the school, so I am happy about that. One of the teachers lives on our street and has assured me that he will check in on my little boy during the day.

I feel like I'm back at school myself wondering if he is dressed okay, or if he'll be the kid with the smelly lunch or if I forgot something important in his backpack. I actually had butterflies in my stomach this morning in anticipation. He just walked in quite confidently.

Good luck on Thursday Tori. Let us know how it goes!


Can't wait to hear how his day goes! Sounds like it started well if he was confident going in.

It is funny, I am normally very calm. Nobody would ever call me a hyper mom but this school thing has given me anxiety! :lol:

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am

It's hard to believe all these RM babies are now going to school! :) Although I'm still not used to the idea of 4-year-olds in JK (no JK here).

They do grow up fast but they all seem to adjust and do well- you guys are all great moms. Good luck to everyone- hope it goes well. Also to those starting new preschools and daycares.

My "baby" is starting grade 8 today which I think is harder for me than it is for him. This is the first time in 8 years that he's starting a new school- and Vancouver district doesn't have middle schools or junior high so he's in the high school now. He's not nervous because his sister has been there for three years and she's been fine, so he's reassured. :) He goes today for a couple hours of orientation and the first full day is tomorrow.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 am

Jake is at grade 1. He had tears in his eyes but still asked me to leave.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:13 pm

IronColl wrote:Jake is at grade 1. He had tears in his eyes but still asked me to leave.


That melts my heart. I hope he has a good day.

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby eme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 pm

My baby is at his first day of University Orientation. My spies assure me that he is fine :shifty:

User avatar
Engmomma
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 11380
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:40 pm
Location: Mennonite-ville

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Engmomma » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I now have all school systems covered. University. High school. Elementary school.

Seems weird.
The Summer of Eng is over.

User avatar
Hammie
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6712
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Out West

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Hammie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Add me to the back-to-school HRMs! My DS starts KG on thursday. They still do half days, which I think will be better for him than full days for now. He's afternoons, so he's still going to go to the Y swimming classes 2 mornings a week.

I'm surprisingly OK with it (for now :wink: we'll see how I feel on thursday!). He's excited and ready to go, and we know a few of the 18 kids in his class already. We did a practice walk to school yesterday so he knows the route, and my DH timed it to know how early he'll have to leave to get there on time.

Good luck to all the HRMs with kids heading to school (at any level!).
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

User avatar
Kristi
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4893
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 pm
Location: Brampton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm

A very successful first day. He was pumped when I picked him up and wired for the rest of the night! I think that the combo of first day of school and all indoor recess is a bad one! I'm sure that the teachers will agree. I feel a lot better now as I'm pretty sure that he is going to adjust just fine!

User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 am

Ok I have dropped him off. He was doing really well until they had to line up and go in and then he started to cry. He kept checking that we were going to stay at the fence and not go to work today and wait for him. :( He broke my heart, but he went into school and I only have 4.5 hours until I can pick him up!

IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:48 am

Jake is having a hard time adjusting. I know eventually he will be fine, but my heart is breaking every morning.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 pm

IronColl wrote:Jake is having a hard time adjusting. I know eventually he will be fine, but my heart is breaking every morning.


Aw, coll- I know how it is... my son went through that year after year in the early years. Each new year it took him less time to get comfortable, but eventually he did.

Even in Grade 8 it's a bit of a struggle sometimes.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Jwolf wrote:
IronColl wrote:Jake is having a hard time adjusting. I know eventually he will be fine, but my heart is breaking every morning.


Aw, coll- I know how it is... my son went through that year after year in the early years. Each new year it took him less time to get comfortable, but eventually he did.

Even in Grade 8 it's a bit of a struggle sometimes.


I talked to his teacher after school today and the boy I picked up was not the boy I dropped off. He was laughing and chatting. She says he is fine during the school day and a lot of kids are having a hard time adjusting. I'm sure also being in a different school and not recognizing anyone isn't helping.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12208
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Awww, my heart goes out to you momma's with back to school. One more year and I will be in the same boat (although my January boy is so ready to go now)!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

IronColl wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
IronColl wrote:Jake is having a hard time adjusting. I know eventually he will be fine, but my heart is breaking every morning.


Aw, coll- I know how it is... my son went through that year after year in the early years. Each new year it took him less time to get comfortable, but eventually he did.

Even in Grade 8 it's a bit of a struggle sometimes.


I talked to his teacher after school today and the boy I picked up was not the boy I dropped off. He was laughing and chatting. She says he is fine during the school day and a lot of kids are having a hard time adjusting. I'm sure also being in a different school and not recognizing anyone isn't helping.


Glad she's taking notice and that he seems to be doing ok once you're gone. So much is going through their little minds.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Lightning
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:42 pm

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 pm

pts wrote:Awww, my heart goes out to you momma's with back to school. One more year and I will be in the same boat (although my January boy is so ready to go now)!



I am crying just reading about all of your kiddies!!! I am with pts...thinking about you. Even though I teach grade seven, I still talked to a lot of nervous parents dropping their kids off the first day. Poor things!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

User avatar
Hammie
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6712
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Out West

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Hammie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Hope everyone adjusts well! We had a surprisingly painless drop off. The Hamster seemed to have a really good time. Who knows if that will last, but he just waved goodbye and marched into the room. Phew!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered


Return to “The Scenic Route”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest