Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I have nothing to add other than my support for all the moms! (and teachers!).

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 am

The rest of the first day went fine! I did get in big trouble last night:

Owen: The teacher made me eat my grapes (in a disgusted tone)
Me: You like grapes!
Owen: The teacher made me eat ALL my grapes!
Me: Ok did you not want to eat them?
Me: Well, you gave me grapes that had a brown spot on them and I couldn't pick it off. The teacher made me eat all of them. So next time make sure you check both sides of the fruit before you give it to me!

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:34 am

Tori wrote:The rest of the first day went fine! I did get in big trouble last night:

Me: Well, you gave me grapes that had a brown spot on them and I couldn't pick it off. The teacher made me eat all of them. So next time make sure you check both sides of the fruit before you give it to me!

;)) Save that story for his wedding ... remind his future spouse to check both sides of the fruit ;)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 am

Tori wrote:The rest of the first day went fine! I did get in big trouble last night:

Ha.

I find it interesting that the teacher made him eat all his grapes though. I purposely over pack Delilah's lunch since there are days that she eats everything, and days that she hardly eats. I trust her to make that decision. I know that they are given guidance to eat a fruit, yogourt or cheese for morning snack, but, otherwise, I wouldn't want my child to be told that they have to eat it all. She didn't eat any of her mangoes the first two days - which didn't thrill me, but, I changed things up and she ate all of her oranges yesterday!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:54 am

I will lose it on any teacher who forces my child to eat. No one tells him to eat - he tells himself when he's full/done with something.

Great, I'm going to be that parent :lol:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:10 am

It was interesting, they had a class note saying that they are working with the kids to eat more of the snacks and lunch and they gave them extra time to eat yesterday. I think it is more to do with time management. They literally get a certain amount of time to eat before they are rushed out the door for recess and lunch to play outside and some kids are slow and don't get enough food in. I was talking about it at work and everyone else mentioned that happened in kindergarten too. He wasn't mad about having grapes just that some of them had brown spots on them. Heaven forbid! :lol: He did bring home a muffin and an apple juice that he never finished and devoured them in the car because he was starving.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 am

Tori wrote:It was interesting, they had a class note saying that they are working with the kids to eat more of the snacks and lunch and they gave them extra time to eat yesterday. I think it is more to do with time management. They literally get a certain amount of time to eat before they are rushed out the door for recess and lunch to play outside and some kids are slow and don't get enough food in. I was talking about it at work and everyone else mentioned that happened in kindergarten too. He wasn't mad about having grapes just that some of them had brown spots on them. Heaven forbid! :lol: He did bring home a muffin and an apple juice that he never finished and devoured them in the car because he was starving.

Time management is one thing (and yes, I wish dinner didn't take an hour some nights), but if Zack doesn't want to eat a grape because it has a brown spot on it, then he doesn't have to eat it.

And if he doesn't finish his snack/lunch in the allotted time, he'll be hungry later (as Owen was). Eventually they'll learn that consequence, won't they? Or am I expecting too much out of young kids?

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am

jes wrote:
Tori wrote:It was interesting, they had a class note saying that they are working with the kids to eat more of the snacks and lunch and they gave them extra time to eat yesterday. I think it is more to do with time management. They literally get a certain amount of time to eat before they are rushed out the door for recess and lunch to play outside and some kids are slow and don't get enough food in. I was talking about it at work and everyone else mentioned that happened in kindergarten too. He wasn't mad about having grapes just that some of them had brown spots on them. Heaven forbid! :lol: He did bring home a muffin and an apple juice that he never finished and devoured them in the car because he was starving.

Time management is one thing (and yes, I wish dinner didn't take an hour some nights), but if Zack doesn't want to eat a grape because it has a brown spot on it, then he doesn't have to eat it.

And if he doesn't finish his snack/lunch in the allotted time, he'll be hungry later (as Owen was). Eventually they'll learn that consequence, won't they? Or am I expecting too much out of young kids?

I'm with ya. However, 20 hungry kids would NOT be fun to deal with, so, I think the teacher has a little bit of a right to highly encourage the kids to eat.

I'm glad there was a note accompanying this though!
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:35 am

Irongirl wrote:
jes wrote:

I'm with ya. However, 20 hungry kids would NOT be fun to deal with, so, I think the teacher has a little bit of a right to highly encourage the kids to eat.

Encourage, yes. "Force," no.

*quotes added because I'm assuming there was no bodily force :lol:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:43 am

jes wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
jes wrote:

Encourage, yes. "Force," no.

*quotes added because I'm assuming there was no bodily force :lol:

Correct! And remember that 4 year olds are pretty big hyperboles! He told me he learned yesterday that you must never ever go camping on the beach because of scorpions! They will hide in your sleeping bag when you go to bed at night. (they read a book about scorpions yesterday). He advised us and his grandparent of this very important fact last night. :lol: Not to worry, I don't camp!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:59 am

See, to me NEVER EVER go camping (on the beach or anywhere else) seems like good advice!

Zack has been telling me "here come the wolves" for days, since his 'best' friend told him about a book he 'read' :lol:

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm

At least you guys are hearing about animals. Lately, I keep hearing "I barfed! In the truck!"

Yes, honey, you did. I was there for the horror, and the clean-up. Glad you are excited about it.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Jake did much better at school today. Within the first minute of our walk to school he was asking me to ask the teacher if I could stay at school today. When we were at his classroom he was holding my hand tightly and then practically pulling me in. He found his desk and sat, then looked at me and said "ok bye" with an almost indignant look on his face. :lol: 180 degrees from the boy I left there yesterday.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 pm

IronColl wrote:Jake did much better at school today. Within the first minute of our walk to school he was asking me to ask the teacher if I could stay at school today. When we were at his classroom he was holding my hand tightly and then practically pulling me in. He found his desk and sat, then looked at me and said "ok bye" with an almost indignant look on his face. :lol: 180 degrees from the boy I left there yesterday.

That is good to hear! :D

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:10 pm

jes wrote:See, to me NEVER EVER go camping (on the beach or anywhere else) seems like good advice!

Zack has been telling me "here come the wolves" for days, since his 'best' friend told him about a book he 'read' :lol:

Ok don't let those 2 kids have a sleep over together. They will terrify each other with their freaky animal stories. :lol:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm with you guys on the eating thing. I don't expect that Timmy is gong to eat all of he lunch that I pack. I just put in a bunch of healthy stuff and trust that he won't starve himself.

He is loving school. I picked him up from the bus stop this afternoon and he was so happy! He even loves he bus ride.

Jes- my husband is totally THAT parent and I always have to be the rational one. My usually rational hubby goes crazy if he even thinks that someone is not treating his boys right.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:37 pm

jes wrote:I will lose it on any teacher who forces my child to eat. No one tells him to eat - he tells himself when he's full/done with something.

Great, I'm going to be that parent :lol:

Trust me, I already am that parent. I just learned to accept that i am that parent and go with it. :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm

ewwww! I'm with Owen. NO brown spots!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 pm

First day of preschool for us here. John has some separation anxiety, so he got pouty lip and a little clingy when I said I was going to go. I distracted him with dinosaur puzzles and bolted! I got a HUGE long hug when I picked him up at 11.

His craft was a painted leaf glued onto paper. I said "What a nice craft! What did you make?" and John says "A FISH!" I guess it is fish-shaped, and if he wants to make a fish, that is fine by me :)

We got to see the zamboni while we were walking to the truck. I let John watch it do its whole circuit until it went into its "house". Pretty cool stuff.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Aww, I am loving all the school/preschool stories. G and M are with a nanny 2.5 days a week while I work, and G is giving me the major guilt trip when I am home. He told me the other night he wants me to stay with him 'ALL the time and never ever ever go away to school.' (I work at school).

Anyway, M is actually really happy with the nanny, and G is giving a bit of attitude, but is overall ok. His little friend is with him and he loves her (we share a nanny) so it helps.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

I figured the moms here would understand...

We have started potty training. It was delayed as we were travelling so much this summer, I didn't think it was fair to John. "Oh, you can use the potty? Great! 12 hour road trip!" This morning I asked if he wanted a diaper or underpants. He chose Buzz Lightyear underpants, and is very proud of the Buzz on his butt. I am asking every 10 minutes if he has to pee, and so far we have had one pee on the potty :) I gave him "private time" and I heard "I DID IT!" from the bathroom. Lots of clapping and cheering and a marshmallow reward.

Is is normal to be this proud? Yes, I know we have a long way to go...

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am

FishPants wrote:I figured the moms here would understand...

We have started potty training. It was delayed as we were travelling so much this summer, I didn't think it was fair to John. "Oh, you can use the potty? Great! 12 hour road trip!" This morning I asked if he wanted a diaper or underpants. He chose Buzz Lightyear underpants, and is very proud of the Buzz on his butt. I am asking every 10 minutes if he has to pee, and so far we have had one pee on the potty :) I gave him "private time" and I heard "I DID IT!" from the bathroom. Lots of clapping and cheering and a marshmallow reward.

Is is normal to be this proud? Yes, I know we have a long way to go...

That sounds awesome!

I used a lot of "tell mommy if you have to pee" sayings - so that it became obvious to her that it's HER responsibility to understand what the feeling of having to pee was.

I don't think you are "late" with the training at all....he'll probably get it quickly! (he's almost 3, right? that's not late at all!).

Speaking of Buzz on his butt - Delilah had princess underwear, so, I'd often say "don't get your princesses wet - they don't like to be peed on!"
i run for me.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am

Aaaaaand Buzz is in the hamper, we are on to McQueen. A lot of re-enforcement that we pee on the potty and not in our underpants.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 pm

FishPants wrote:Aaaaaand Buzz is in the hamper, we are on to McQueen. A lot of re-enforcement that we pee on the potty and not in our underpants.

oh Buzz...

(we went through TONS of underwear on the first day!)
i run for me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Three seems to be the magic number for our gene pool. Go John!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”