Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
User avatar
FishPants
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17095
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Penticton, BC
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Moms! It's been over 2 weeks! Let me live vicariously through your running! Tell me about it!

I have stopped running, but am trying to be somewhat active. I am doing the tri-swim group once a week, and other than that it's mostly just walks. I am finally able to drink coffee again.

In kid news, John has hit the fascination with genitals phase, and who owns what variety. He also tells me several times a day which one he has. And Damon. And Daddy. And Mommy. Actually, he tells me which one I don't have. We had the discussion in the truck today on the way to Petsmart. At Petsmart, we were looking at the fish. Another customer was asking an employee about the fish, and was this variety boys or girls? John hears "girls" and shouts "GINA!!" Luckily, the customer did not pick up on what he said. I hurried him back to look at the cats again, while trying not to snicker too hard.

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:59 am

Zack has hit that stage too, although it's not constant.

I'm really trying not to be embarrassed about it though. He reminded me the other day in public that I have a vagina, and I just said "you're right!" and moved on. I mean, it's not like anyone who overheard him doesn't know which type of parts I would have. I'm really hoping that if I never make a big deal about it, it'll just be normal to him too.

FP, you can live through me...just over two weeks to Hamilton!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

User avatar
FishPants
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17095
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Penticton, BC
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 pm

jes wrote:Zack has hit that stage too, although it's not constant.

I'm really trying not to be embarrassed about it though. He reminded me the other day in public that I have a vagina, and I just said "you're right!" and moved on. I mean, it's not like anyone who overheard him doesn't know which type of parts I would have. I'm really hoping that if I never make a big deal about it, it'll just be normal to him too.

FP, you can live through me...just over two weeks to Hamilton!


Hoorah! What distance is Hamilton? Can I stalk you on race day? :D

I treat the genital discussion very matter-of-factly, I was just not expecting him to shout about it in Petsmart. I didn't snicker at him, it was a mom snicker where you try not to let them see you :)

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 pm

FishPants wrote:
jes wrote:Zack has hit that stage too, although it's not constant.

I'm really trying not to be embarrassed about it though. He reminded me the other day in public that I have a vagina, and I just said "you're right!" and moved on. I mean, it's not like anyone who overheard him doesn't know which type of parts I would have. I'm really hoping that if I never make a big deal about it, it'll just be normal to him too.

FP, you can live through me...just over two weeks to Hamilton!


Hoorah! What distance is Hamilton? Can I stalk you on race day? :D

I treat the genital discussion very matter-of-factly, I was just not expecting him to shout about it in Petsmart. I didn't snicker at him, it was a mom snicker where you try not to let them see you :)


I didn't mean that you do. Just saying how I'm trying to treat it (so far anyway)

Hamilton is a full :D It's not timed by sportstats, so I don't think you can stalk me. But I'll report back as soon as I can.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

User avatar
FishPants
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17095
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Penticton, BC
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Hopefully, there will be other maniacs there posting updates :)

I can never imagine a full. I will be sending you all my vibes that day!

(And I didn't think you were implying I was being all weird about genitals. It's all good :) )

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi all! I've been running lots...but more and more on the treadmill these days. DH has been away most mornings during my usual run time (either for work, or coaching - though that is scaling back), which means I either take the stroller or run inside. With the darker mornings, C is sleeping later (yay!) but it means more indoor running. I miss the beautiful fall running!

I have no more big races planned for the year - I'm trying to decide "what's next". I found the half training much more easy to balance with a very demanding job and a husband who travels a lot for work, so I think I'll likely stick with that, though I may think about Around the Bay for the spring.

Charlotte just turned 18 months and is at such a fun age. Every day brings new words - it's amazing what she learns. Her new thing is "singing" and doing action songs. She does them in her bed, in the bath, in her booster seat. It's very cute.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
AndyM
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby AndyM » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I've been taking a much more relaxed approach to my running these days. I find I don't have a lot of time for proper training of any sort so I just run as much as I can, when I can and feel like it. I'm averaging probably something like 30ishK/week. I'd like to do a 10K soon to see if I can still piggback off my 1/2 marathon success from last month. Less running seems to agree with me for some reason.

Little A is wonderful these days too. She had her first dance recital this week - melt my heart, and we went to see the Wiggles.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I have been really relaxed with running too. I have been doing 2-3 times per week. We signed the family up to run 5k at Disney in January. We miss the big races that weekend as we leave the Saturday morning, but thought a family run/walk would be fun. Owen is also doing the kids races on the Thursday. I can't wait to get down to Florida. 8) I have some ideas for next year's races but will not have to worry about training much until the new year.

I have a whole new appreciation for moms with kids in school. I am finding this way more busy now with him in school than the crazy toddler phase. Nights consist of getting homework done (we have a monthly homework pack), practising reading for the test each Friday, french practice, making a nut free/sesame free/seafood free lunch, scrounging for change in the cars, sofa cushions, etc. so we can pay for whatever item they need (this week was for popcorn and to pay for Yaki the singing guitar players performance :lol: ). Plus I just generally stress that he is doing well in school, has friends, walks back and forth safely from the school and the list goes on. :lol: I have my first volunteer date next week for his class and I am really excited about it.

We also started hockey with Owen. So that is 7 or 8 am every Saturday and Sunday. It really cuts into the long run time I have available! But he loves it. We are having so much fun each week at the rink. His dad is coaching and I just love all these little guys skating around and trying to shoot the puck.

pts
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12208
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:00 am

Hi All, No running from me right now (29 weeks! Only 11ish to go!). Lots of walking, hauling around kids, wrestling though, and still generally feeling good. The weather this week was perfect for running and I really miss it!

I am going to start swimming some evenings soon, just to stay in shape as the weather gets worse (although I find with the two kids I get exercise each day).

G said to me last night "Mommy, why are you wearing underwear that doesn't go over your whole bum." Umm, because mommy's bum is getting bigger as I get more pregnant, that's why. Oh, the honesty of preschoolers! :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

User avatar
FishPants
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17095
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Penticton, BC
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:09 am

I am loving all the updates :) Keep them coming!

Lightning
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:42 pm

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:52 pm

So nice to get running and kid and mom updates!!! Thanks for getting this going again, FP! I am also the most relaxed about running than I have been in so long. I hurt my hamstring at the start of marathon training this summer. It hurt every single step of the 5 runs/70-80k I was running per week. I made it to the end of my training, my last and fifth run over 30k, and I just finally decided in the middle of the run to not run the marathon. It would have been my 11th and I really did want to run a 3:45 (my last time at this time last year was 3:54 so it was doable). Of course I could have completed it but it would have been in pain the whole way and in a time I would not have been happy about. So I run about 25-30k per week now and for the first time since I started running, I am ok with running for the heck of it.

I started Crossfit almost 4 weeks ago. I really like the change and man, I am NOT in the shape I thought I was. (the cardio part is ok, but I have zero muscles, which I am sure contributed to my hamstring injury).

Isaiah is doing so well. Of course, like everybody else, I think my kid is a toddler genius/athlete/cutest-kid-of-all-time! He is chatting up a storm and is just so much fun!!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

User avatar
starflower
Tom Longboat
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:56 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby starflower » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi! I haven't been on RM much since G was born, but thought I'd check in. I trained and ran the Ottawa Race Weekend Half, and then ran much more casually all summer, even though I was signed up for the Army Run. Ran the Army Run last month and it went much better than I expected, considering I hadn't really trained - I ran one 10k run and one 14k, and everything else was short! Still doing that, but I'm having trouble getting out the door lately.

I'm going back to work in two weeks, the day before Gavin turns one. The past year has flown! I can't believe how big my baby is, but he's so much fun.
Rebecca

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm sharing this with you guys, because who doesn't love kids in costumes!

http://jephotography.ca/?p=306

I can't wait for Halloween! Zack is going to be a monkey again this year, provided I can figure out where I put his costume...I had it out a month or so ago, but I don't know where I put it after that - Opps!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

User avatar
AndyM
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby AndyM » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Lightning wrote:So nice to get running and kid and mom updates!!! Thanks for getting this going again, FP! I am also the most relaxed about running than I have been in so long. I hurt my hamstring at the start of marathon training this summer. It hurt every single step of the 5 runs/70-80k I was running per week. I made it to the end of my training, my last and fifth run over 30k, and I just finally decided in the middle of the run to not run the marathon. It would have been my 11th and I really did want to run a 3:45 (my last time at this time last year was 3:54 so it was doable). Of course I could have completed it but it would have been in pain the whole way and in a time I would not have been happy about. So I run about 25-30k per week now and for the first time since I started running, I am ok with running for the heck of it.

I started Crossfit almost 4 weeks ago. I really like the change and man, I am NOT in the shape I thought I was. (the cardio part is ok, but I have zero muscles, which I am sure contributed to my hamstring injury).

Isaiah is doing so well. Of course, like everybody else, I think my kid is a toddler genius/athlete/cutest-kid-of-all-time! He is chatting up a storm and is just so much fun!!!!


SOrry to hear about the injury. I thought I read that somewhere and was going to ask you. Good for you for trying crossfit! I keep wanting to add more of this sort of thing to my regime but I still seem to end up mostly with running and some "other" stuff mixed in.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to running without a schedule and trying new things in Nov. I don't think Crossfit is for me, but I'm looking forward to more classes at the gym. Good for you for trying it, Lightning!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 am

Exercise without a schedule is awesome. I am enjoying being back at the gym. I am not really running but walking Jake to and from school most days is about 20 km a week. I am thinking about running more. Does that count?

I am not looking forward to the end of DST because my littlest is an early riser as it is and starting my day an hour earlier is not exciting. I've been snuggling with him on the couch for the past 90 minutes (as he screams bloody murder when i put him back in his crib) and gave up long ago seeing my bed for another 15 hours. I applaud the full time working moms who have gone through this.

Pity party done.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:29 pm

IronColl wrote:
I am not looking forward to the end of DST because my littlest is an early riser as it is and starting my day an hour earlier is not exciting. I've been snuggling with him on the couch for the past 90 minutes (as he screams bloody murder when i put him back in his crib) and gave up long ago seeing my bed for another 15 hours. I applaud the full time working moms who have gone through this.

Pity party done.


We like to longingly remember the days when we could bring Charlotte into our bed for early morning cuddles. Now it's "eye? eye? eye?" as she pokes you in the (you guessed it) eye, and then tries to stand on your face as she climbs up the headboard, before dropping back to the bed to give an elbow strike to your nose. If she doesn't become a runner, she's got a good future as an ultimate fighter.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
toobusy
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6810
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:54 pm

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby toobusy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm

:lol: :lol:

rockstar79
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1559
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 am
Location: The Best Coast
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby rockstar79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
IronColl wrote:
I am not looking forward to the end of DST because my littlest is an early riser as it is and starting my day an hour earlier is not exciting. I've been snuggling with him on the couch for the past 90 minutes (as he screams bloody murder when i put him back in his crib) and gave up long ago seeing my bed for another 15 hours. I applaud the full time working moms who have gone through this.

Pity party done.


We like to longingly remember the days when we could bring Charlotte into our bed for early morning cuddles. Now it's "eye? eye? eye?" as she pokes you in the (you guessed it) eye, and then tries to stand on your face as she climbs up the headboard, before dropping back to the bed to give an elbow strike to your nose. If she doesn't become a runner, she's got a good future as an ultimate fighter.


Sounds like morning time at our house! C has taken to waking up once a night most nights, and when it comes to the 'stay up for an hour to get her back to sleep' or 'bring her to the big bed so we can all go right back to sleep', I bet you can guess what wins. I am tired. Wake ups are usually a punch to the face (me) or a punch to the nether regions (r). Needless to say we are looking forward to this phase passing.

I trained for a half that was a week after I went backto work, and didn't end up doing it because dh was sick and I had no last second babysitter. Then I immediately got sick too and have been since. I think I am finally kicking this cold and hope to be back at'er by the weekend! my mommy runners and I are planning on doing a half, a 30 k and a full in the spring. Very excited!
Next?
:)

anners
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6734
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby anners » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 am

I just got caught up...haven't been around for awhile. And since I've been up since 3:55am (thank youuuuu end of DST), I have plenty of time to kill before my 10k this morning. I've only been doing short runs, my longest being 8k 9 days ago, but I thought I would be be okay for my race. Then I got a horrible cold and am still questioning if I should even run. I have to show up because I have my friend's race kit. I will likely run, but it's not going to be pretty.

Baby is 8 months old now and the world's worst sleeper. Up every 1-2 hours until about a month ago. Now she finally sleeps 3-4 hour stretches. I've been so sleep deprived I can barely see straight. But I think I am starting to see the fog lift now. V is of course the cutest 2.5 yr old in the world, no offence to any of your kids :) I love love love having two girls. They are so sweet with each other.

Ok, will be back later to report on my 10k.

So sorry you aren't racing this morning, C, but sounds like you definitely made the right decision.

Go Jes go!!!

IronColl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19393
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:51 pm
Location: Right here
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 am

End of DST wasn't kind to us either anners. Sounds like you are having a hard time. Hugs to you! That's the type of sleeper Justin was.

Good luck to racing mommas today!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams
Posts: 15482
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: London

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:12 pm

How were your races?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

anners
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6734
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby anners » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am

My race went well. Cold, windy, rolling hills, all that good stuff. I ran steady and felt good the whole way. I didn't want to push my limits, because I knew I wasn't going to have the luxury to lie around and recover for a couple of days, ha! Finished in a respectable 1:05. I'm thinking of doing the Angus Glen 10-miler in the spring.

pts
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12208
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:29 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby pts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 am

I have a good story that I figure HRMs would sympathize with (as both runners and people who have been pregnant). I was at a race yesterday since DH and my sister were doing it. So, I had the two kids and me at 8.5 months pregnant, outside in the cold while they ran for over an hour. M decided she needed to be held the entire time (and I forgot a stroller) and I did a fair bit of walking (to start line, to car, to tent, to bathroom etc.) with my 25lb weight attached to my hip. We decided to go in the 'warm tent' for a bit and there were only a few chairs there. I got a chair for G and M to split and then was standing myself on the hard concrete floor. After a few minutes I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to stand for that long (getting a lot of SI and pelvic pain these days, made worse by carrying M). So, I saw a woman with not one but TWO chairs, one with her feet up on it. I normally am not the type to use the 'pregnant can I have your seat' card, but I was in a bit of pain and could really use a chair (the concrete floor was not working for me). So, I went over and asked the woman if I could have the chair her feet were on. She replied "Oh, actually I am elevating my foot, I twisted my ankle on wednesday." and DIDN'T give me her chair- FFS! :roll: Gotta love the self-entitled runner (and there were places she could have moved her chair to elevate the ankle on a ledge!). Anyway, someone else saw me ask and gave me her chair (and I thanked her very loudly and she gave dirty looks to the other woman). Anyway, I almost hit angry pregnant lady stage with this woman (and I generally am not an angry pregnant lady!). But, I figure- running KARMA can be a B!tch, woman! :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby eme » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 am

pts wrote:I have a good story that I figure HRMs would sympathize with (as both runners and people who have been pregnant). I was at a race yesterday since DH and my sister were doing it. So, I had the two kids and me at 8.5 months pregnant, outside in the cold while they ran for over an hour. M decided she needed to be held the entire time (and I forgot a stroller) and I did a fair bit of walking (to start line, to car, to tent, to bathroom etc.) with my 25lb weight attached to my hip. We decided to go in the 'warm tent' for a bit and there were only a few chairs there. I got a chair for G and M to split and then was standing myself on the hard concrete floor. After a few minutes I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to stand for that long (getting a lot of SI and pelvic pain these days, made worse by carrying M). So, I saw a woman with not one but TWO chairs, one with her feet up on it. I normally am not the type to use the 'pregnant can I have your seat' card, but I was in a bit of pain and could really use a chair (the concrete floor was not working for me). So, I went over and asked the woman if I could have the chair her feet were on. She replied "Oh, actually I am elevating my foot, I twisted my ankle on wednesday." and DIDN'T give me her chair- FFS! :roll: Gotta love the self-entitled runner (and there were places she could have moved her chair to elevate the ankle on a ledge!). Anyway, someone else saw me ask and gave me her chair (and I thanked her very loudly and she gave dirty looks to the other woman). Anyway, I almost hit angry pregnant lady stage with this woman (and I generally am not an angry pregnant lady!). But, I figure- running KARMA can be a B!tch, woman! :lol:


She twisted her ankle on Wednesday and still raced? Then she is not only a B!tch, but stupid. Karma will pay her back ;)


Return to “The Scenic Route”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests