Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks! When the double bra is no longer doing it for me, probably in the next month or so, I'll give the Mizuno and Junos a try. I've always gone with racerback bras as I HATE clasps in the back, but as I get bigger I'll have no choice, plus I won't be running far enough that chafing will be an issue anyway.

I'll wait on the belly band till it seems like I really need it. It doesn't look terribly comfortable!

I discovered something today- apparently it's normal to have a sore tailbone during pregnancy! I was biking yesterday, not far at all, just along the beach, and my butt was SO sore afterwards and even into today. I googled it just out of curiosity, and, YUP, it's a super common thing! Apparently just caused by the bones shifting and the pressure. I hope it won't keep me off my bike completely, but it's keeping me off today for sure. :(
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm

a bunch of us are on another forum (a mommy/baby/woman/canadian) type one - if you're interested....

If you're above a B cup.....you should have a clasp! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Thx IG! Ya I was a B so could get away with it. I will be glad when I can get away with it again! In other ways I'll be sad though- it's kinda nice to have a bit more cleavage than usual outside of running!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

EEEEEEE!! I am so thrilled to see you posting here Lisa!

I just double/triple etc bra'd up to the end and I think we are similar boob sizes (well, I was, now I have super boobs with nursing!).

Also, I was doing some thinking, how many months will you be mid to late August? We could run a 10k together and you could be super slow for you and I could be getting faster for me, and we could actually do it together maybe?? ALthough, my ego may not love getting 'pregnant chicked' if you are way faster than me! ;)
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue May 21, 2013 5:49 pm

It's an idea Erin! We may be out east then with Pat's family, but if I'm around and still feeling good, it's a definite possibility. A 5K would be an even more definite possibility, as 10 is already seeming a bit far, lol, but I won't rule it out yet! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll kick my ass. 8) PS good to hear about the bras.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue May 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Congratulations, QC! It's great to see this thread active again!

4 weeks (and one day) until I can run again :)

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Congratulations QC!

How long did you ladies need to wait until you were out starting back to run again post baby arrival (especially those of you that had c-sections)?

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm

da wrote:Congratulations QC!

How long did you ladies need to wait until you were out starting back to run again post baby arrival (especially those of you that had c-sections)?

i had a c-section and i started running at 6 weeks. i hadn't run a step in my pregnancy, but did some exercise (mostly walking, snowshoeing or fitness dvds) everyday and swam up until the day before my section.

i was back in the pool at 4 weeks.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Are you pg too Ann???
I'll be curious to know how long after a non-c-section birth it takes before you can run. If I have to have a section I can see 6 weeks for sure, maybe longer. Otherwise it sounds like it could be the same, or less, or even more if things are, well I'm not thinking about that, lol.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 pm

I totally don't belong in this thread (my baby is 9) but I got curious and starting reading :).

But I did have little people once-upon-a-time so I can offer up my experience! I had 3 fairly straight-forward deliveries but returning to running was different each time. My quickest was # 3 which was about 3 weeks (which was probably too soon but I was desperate for time to myself :) ). The other 2 were closer to 6 weeks. The important thing is to give your body time to heal and yourself time to adapt to the changes being a parent brings.

All my babies needed motion to sleep so I did a ton of walking in those early weeks/months! Very excited for you & Pat, QC :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm

FishPants wrote:Congratulations, QC! It's great to see this thread active again!

4 weeks (and one day) until I can run again :)

Congrats to YOU! 8)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 pm

alexk wrote:The important thing is to give your body time to heal and yourself time to adapt to the changes being a parent brings.

This. It will be different for every person and every pregnancy. I had a 3rd degree tear after my first that was very sore. I was up to 8km after 4 months. After my 2nd I ran 6 weeks pp and raced a half marathon 4.5 months pp and a half ironman 6.5 months pp. It was very hard on my body so after my 3rd I waited 12 weeks and had a good running experience, and raced a half marathon 8 months pp and was just a minute shy of my pb. A friend of mine who is a physio recommends waiting 12 weeks, but was running 6 weeks pp without issue. ymmv.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed May 22, 2013 5:29 pm

IronColl wrote:
alexk wrote:The important thing is to give your body time to heal and yourself time to adapt to the changes being a parent brings.

This. It will be different for every person and every pregnancy. I had a 3rd degree tear after my first that was very sore. I was up to 8km after 4 months. After my 2nd I ran 6 weeks pp and raced a half marathon 4.5 months pp and a half ironman 6.5 months pp. It was very hard on my body so after my 3rd I waited 12 weeks and had a good running experience, and raced a half marathon 8 months pp and was just a minute shy of my pb. A friend of mine who is a physio recommends waiting 12 weeks, but was running 6 weeks pp without issue. ymmv.

I agree! I rushed back after #2 and had a hard experience. This time I waited longer (8 weeks maybe?) and at 4 months pp I am at 8k and feeling fine. Hmm, now I may have a goal, 1/2 marathon in September, bc I want to be like ironcoll!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 pm

I think just going into the return to running with no expectations is the best approach. So much depends on your individual healing, your baby, your sleep etc etc etc. Some days you'll feel great, others you'll feel awful, and unable to remember how you ever ran before!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed May 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Yeah I won't be setting any big goals or putting pressure on early, that's for sure. I can see it taking awhile- baby is due in Oct, I can see maybe racing (actually racing) the following fall, and just running to get back in shape, maybe doing a couple no-pressure things, up to then. At the same time though, I can see being super motivated to get back into shape. I will miss training hard and racing- I haven't done that since 2011!! So I know I'll be someone that needs to be reined in!! I wonder, is it harder after baby #2 with expectations about recovering similarly to baby #1?

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed May 22, 2013 9:47 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah I won't be setting any big goals or putting pressure on early, that's for sure. I can see it taking awhile- baby is due in Oct, I can see maybe racing (actually racing) the following fall, and just running to get back in shape, maybe doing a couple no-pressure things, up to then. At the same time though, I can see being super motivated to get back into shape. I will miss training hard and racing- I haven't done that since 2011!! So I know I'll be someone that needs to be reined in!! I wonder, is it harder after baby #2 with expectations about recovering similarly to baby #1?

I actually had a much tougher time recovering after baby #1. I wasn't as active during pregnancy, and had a much tougher delivery than with #2. I really struggled with feeling slow, heavy, and out of shape. getting started again was a struggle, and i didn't really enjoy running for the sake of running for a while. I ran a 10k about 9 months post partum, and ran my first half marathon around Hamster #1's first birthday. With #2, I was more mentally prepared for feeling so different than my normal self, and was a little more tuned into how I was feeling physically. I also ran up until around 7 months with #2. I ran a half marathon 4 months post Hamster #2 and really enjoyed it, which was likely a combination of better physical fitness, better mental health, and a desperate need to get some alone time with a 2 year old and a newborn at home :lol: .

My only advice would be to wait and see how you feel. You may change your mind quite a bit about what you do and don't feel like doing, so give yourself permission not to make any plans or set goals that might change. Physically, you might have a harder (or easier!) time recovering than others, so don't compare yourself to anyone else!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I was going to say almost what hammie said (#2 easier than #1 for similar reasons, wait to see how you feel, etc) so I'll just say "+1" :).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 am

Very good advice, thanks. I'll have to remember to check back at this when I am feeling down about running afterward. Knowing how many of you have bounced back better than ever helps, but I'll really have to make sure I don't compare myself to anyone. In the big picture, running won't be the most important thing in my life, though, so maybe I'll be more even-keeled than I imagine. Wait and see, that'll be my mantra. :)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

Whoa! Nothing like a fresh preggo to get us all chatting again. Welcome QuickChick!! So exciting!!

I started running again at 6 weeks. I forced myself. It sucked. I felt like my uterus might drop out for a good 2 months following. But I got over it. I wish for you hopefully a better experience but at least not worse!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Thu May 23, 2013 11:44 am

First of all, congrats Quick Chick! I look forward to reading about your progress! :D

So I need a favour and I'm turning to the RM's for suggestions. I'm an "old" mama. All my friends are done having babies, and out of the stroller stage. They aren't much help.

My baby hates riding in a stroller. I have a BOB that I thought he would love :(! and a smaller Britax B agile for day to day errands. He cries for most of the time he is in these strollers. (embarrassing, especially during an hour long strollercize class). When he was smaller I used the infant seat adapter in both the strollers and he tolerated them more, but hated sitting in his infant car seat. He is now 5 months and too big to wear in a carrier for long periods of time (but we intend on carrying him 2k for Ottawa Race Weekend)

Anyway, I'm wondering if he stresses out in the stroller because he can't see me/us?? I was wondering if there are any Ottawa based RMers who might have a parent facing stroller that I could borrow for a half an hour or so. I'd be willing to travel and would love the company if someone would like to walk with me. I just want the opportunity to try a different type of stroller before I invest in one.

Or if any of you veterans have any advice I'd love to hear your ideas. It's very disheartening to want to walk with baby only to have him cry the entire time. :(
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

rdmsgirl wrote:First of all, congrats Quick Chick! I look forward to reading about your progress! :D

So I need a favour and I'm turning to the RM's for suggestions. I'm an "old" mama. All my friends are done having babies, and out of the stroller stage. They aren't much help.

My baby hates riding in a stroller. I have a BOB that I thought he would love :(! and a smaller Britax B agile for day to day errands. He cries for most of the time he is in these strollers. (embarrassing, especially during an hour long strollercize class). When he was smaller I used the infant seat adapter in both the strollers and he tolerated them more, but hated sitting in his infant car seat. He is now 5 months and too big to wear in a carrier for long periods of time (but we intend on carrying him 2k for Ottawa Race Weekend)

Anyway, I'm wondering if he stresses out in the stroller because he can't see me/us?? I was wondering if there are any Ottawa based RMers who might have a parent facing stroller that I could borrow for a half an hour or so. I'd be willing to travel and would love the company if someone would like to walk with me. I just want the opportunity to try a different type of stroller before I invest in one.

Or if any of you veterans have any advice I'd love to hear your ideas. It's very disheartening to want to walk with baby only to have him cry the entire time. :(

My second hated all strollers, I sympathize! What carrier do you have? You can most likely put him in a back carry at 5 mos, I had my babe on my back in the ergo today (almost 5 mos old, but she is my third so I am very adept at back carries). Just a thought, baby wearing is passion of mine and if you have questions please pm me. I know soft structured carriers, wraps, slings, and mei ties (I may have an addiction, lol).

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 am

ah, poor munchkin. :(

I don't have a parent facing stoller, so, I can't help.....

I assume you've tried attaching toys, loosening straps, doing a bunch of things?
i run for me.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu May 23, 2013 11:58 am

Jwolf wrote:I was going to say almost what hammie said (#2 easier than #1 for similar reasons, wait to see how you feel, etc) so I'll just say "+1" :).

This, by #2 I was better with knowing I could run when exhausted and that my chubby body would return. #3 was a terrible recovery though, super easy birth (fun birth even?) but my old body was not happy with two babes that close together and also a lot of tearing bc of shoulder dystosia (spelling?). Every body is different though!!

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm

pts wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:First of all, congrats Quick Chick! I look forward to reading about your progress! :D

My second hated all strollers, I sympathize! What carrier do you have? You can most likely put him in a back carry at 5 mos, I had my babe on my back in the ergo today (almost 5 mos old, but she is my third so I am very adept at back carries). Just a thought, baby wearing is passion of mine and if you have questions please pm me. I know soft structured carriers, wraps, slings, and mei ties (I may have an addiction, lol).

We are going to try a back carry this week, although I'm not completely comfortable with his head control yet. I have a first generation Beco Butterfly

I also have a ring sling and a Boba wrap.

Let me tell you, this parenting thing has been challenging since baby does not like being worn either. He is only now tolerating it for short periods of time. But as a newborn he wanted nothing to do with his sling or wrap. My attempts at doing the attachment parenting thing have all failed!
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:06 pm

failed is a strong word. ;)

attachement parenting has MANY more meanings that just wearing your baby. :)
i run for me.

Return to “The Scenic Route”