Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Tori » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 am

Jwolf wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:I'm here and running! Or at least, trying to. My early bird has been getting up extra early lately, so I'm having a hard time fitting in my runs. I usually get up early to run before anyone is awake, but if she wakes up before I go, I feel really bad leaving her, because then it means DH has to get up too (and he's not getting much sleep these days trying to finish his PhD).

would it be better to try to use the treadmill in the evening instead? i realize that you like the morning runs, but if it's evening or nothing, i would guess you'd settle for evening. then you'd be less likely to wake her up in the morning and everyone could get some extra sleep.

That's what I have to do in the evening. The TM is my evening buddy. No chance at work during lunch and mornings and we are out the door so early in the morning it would be super painful to get up any earlier.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 am

da wrote:I'll be joining the running Momma's in the spring. I'm currently not running through my pregnancy but I'm trying to stay active.

I'm currently looking at strollers and from what I can tell from past threads the BOB Revolution SE seems to be a popular choice.

I am considering only buying the one stroller and using the bucket carseat attachment for walks until they are ready for running. Has anyone else done the same?

Congrats! I liked my BOB. I had the sport utility model. The carseat attachment is super handy and turns into a cup/snack holder when they are older.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 am

Tori wrote:
da wrote:I'll be joining the running Momma's in the spring. I'm currently not running through my pregnancy but I'm trying to stay active.

I'm currently looking at strollers and from what I can tell from past threads the BOB Revolution SE seems to be a popular choice.

I am considering only buying the one stroller and using the bucket carseat attachment for walks until they are ready for running. Has anyone else done the same?

Congrats! I liked my BOB. I had the sport utility model. The carseat attachment is super handy and turns into a cup/snack holder when they are older.

Congratulations! When are you due? Did I miss that part?

I have a Bumbleride Indie (Very similar to the BOB, but it has an adjustable handle), and it was my only stroller for a long time. I just popped the carseat on it. Super handy :) My first is an October baby, and the Bumbleride was able to tackle the Edmonton winter just fine.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 am

We use the BOB as our only stroller. I have the one that you can lock the wheel or not, and I always run / walk with it unlocked. We used it with the car seat at first for walking, and started running at around 4 months (after consultation with our doctor), first with the car seat, and then in the main part of the stroller. C is almost (!) two and is still very happy running or walking in it. It's relatively light for the size, and it fit in the trunk of my honda civic. If I was doing it over again, I might think about a chariot instead, because it can also be used as a bike trailer, but they are much more $$ and much wider. I can take the BOB into the grocery store, drug store, library, Starbucks etc without a problem, and the Chariot might make that trickier.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

Yeah - I could run in the evenings. But, I can't run after eating dinner, which means I'm not taking part in family dinner, which is one of my favourite times. Plus, for me, my running is my mental boost in the morning to get through the day at my crazy job - so I need it in the morning for my sanity! But from a training point of view, I can use the evening to get those miles in if I need to.

I do often leave C with DH in the morning - I just don't feel it's fair to do it every (or most) days, especially with the hours he's working right now (I can go to bed at 9 by choice - he can't). On the plus side, the last two days have been better. On Wednesday, I left for swimming at 5:50 and everyone was still asleep, and she got up at 6:20, but played happily in her crib until 6:50. This morning, I got up extra early at 5:30, since I knew DH had to leave around 6:20, and she'd be up by then. DH got her up before he left, but I managed to fit in 40 minutes before that happened so I'm pleased. It's a juggling act for sure!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

Congrats da! Another vote for the BOB.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 am

FishPants wrote:
Tori wrote:

Congratulations! When are you due? Did I miss that part?

I have a Bumbleride Indie (Very similar to the BOB, but it has an adjustable handle), and it was my only stroller for a long time. I just popped the carseat on it. Super handy :) My first is an October baby, and the Bumbleride was able to tackle the Edmonton winter just fine.

I'm due around May 1.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for all of the feedback so quickly. I've run with a BOB with a friend so I've been pretty sure it was the fit for me but I'm glad to hear that others are happy with theirs (and that it fits in the car reasonably)!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 am

They have good lasting power too. I have been using mine consistently since summer 2006 both indoors and out. I have only replaced the tubes once and everything is in good condition.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 am

congratulations da!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 pm

I just wanted to come back and say 'sorry' for being that person who asks for advice but then has an excuse for why everyone's great tips won't worry. Venting over!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I just wanted to come back and say 'sorry' for being that person who asks for advice but then has an excuse for why everyone's great tips won't worry. Venting over!

LOL- I didn't take it that way, don't worry. Believe me-- I sympathize with being in the situation of having young kids and a husband with a stressful, time-consuming job. My dh was pre-tenure when we had babies, and was often travelling, or working late, or teaching early. Leaving the kids with him wasn't always an option. I am not sure I could have handled marathon training back then, although I did give myself 3 sessions/week at the gym (usually bike or treadmill) and left the kids at the childminding. That was a lot then! :) I would have loved to have a treadmill at home but the four of us lived in an 800sf apt. So I'm impressed that you can do as much as you do. Give yourself a lot of credit.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Congrats da! The BOB was our only stroller for awhile and it was great! It fit in my cavalier just fine. But I now I have two kids, a double chariot, and a minivan :P

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I just wanted to come back and say 'sorry' for being that person who asks for advice but then has an excuse for why everyone's great tips won't worry. Venting over!

Don't be sorry! Parenting is such a giant experiment, you never know what will and will not work :)

I just like being able to chat with other adults. Sometimes, what works for them will work for my family, but sometimes not. I just try to keep an open mind and continue on doing the best I can (like everyone else!)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

Congrats da!

I am loving getting some check-in updates from everyone.

Me: Still trying to decide if we get a treadmill. I WANT a treadmill but it is not the most fiscally responsible move right now. Not yet running but walking most days (although it is freezing out!!). Baby B is 3.5 weeks old and I think I will start running at 6 weeks. Next week is the start of solo parenting 3 kids for 10 hours a day when my husband goes back to work...yikes.

On another note- I just called to set up the Kindergarten registration appointment for G for next fall :( When did my little dude get so grown up? M will be devastated when G goes to school, she worships him.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 am

pts wrote:Congrats da!

I am loving getting some check-in updates from everyone.

Me: Still trying to decide if we get a treadmill. I WANT a treadmill but it is not the most fiscally responsible move right now. Not yet running but walking most days (although it is freezing out!!). Baby B is 3.5 weeks old and I think I will start running at 6 weeks. Next week is the start of solo parenting 3 kids for 10 hours a day when my husband goes back to work...yikes.

On another note- I just called to set up the Kindergarten registration appointment for G for next fall :( When did my little dude get so grown up? M will be devastated when G goes to school, she worships him.

We were generously given a treadmill, and, I didn't use it ever. I'm not a treadmill girl, never have been, never will be. :P

I'm glad you're thinking of M....I totally didn't even think about the adjustment on Dexter when Delilah went to school....and it was rough on him!
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am

Not about running, but:

Zack has a girlfriend at daycare! A new girl started this week, and he talks about her nonstop. His face just beams when we talk about her. It's so cute!!!!

He's very excited to make a valentine for her.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

so cute!

IB was telling me that Delilah played with "Kevin" all day at daycare on their PD day - and even sat with him to watch the movie.

He's 9! :shock:
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

Irongirl wrote:so cute!

IB was telling me that Delilah played with "Kevin" all day at daycare on their PD day - and even sat with him to watch the movie.

He's 9! :shock:

Wowzers!

Zack's 'girlfriend' isn't quite one, so there's a bit of a gap there too :lol:

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 am

Hi everyone! Just was browsing this thread looking at advice on running strollers :-H

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't run in over 2 years :oops:
LO is now 9 weeks old and I've signed him up for ORW 2k and I'm so excited. :dance:
Now I'm off to research strollers!
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 am

rdmsgirl wrote:Hi everyone! Just was browsing this thread looking at advice on running strollers :-H

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't run in over 2 years :oops:
LO is now 9 weeks old and I've signed him up for ORW 2k and I'm so excited. :dance:
Now I'm off to research strollers!

welcome back! and congrats on the baby!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

welcome back!

I lot of people seem to love the Bob for running.

I liked the non-stroller. I tried to run with a stroller and learned that stroller running wasn't for me. Running became important me time, so, there were days where I changed into running gear before DH got home. As soon as he walked in - I went out the door. OR, I did MANY runs right after putting Delilah into her crib while DH stayed to help her fall asleep (if necessary)!
i run for me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Welcome back and congratulations.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Congrats and welcome back!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:35 pm

But having a running stroller gives you the OPTION to go out with baby, even if it isn't your favourite thing.

Bob all the way over here. It's been our only stroller and I love it. We used it for everything. (except for vacation, we did buy a $15 cheapo for that 'cause the bob took up too much room with our luggage).

Return to “The Scenic Route”