Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby QuickChick » Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah I've heard that too, that if you're going to get them you're going to get them. I'm OK so far, no marks yet, but if the products may help at ALL down the road, I figure it's worth a shot! And yes, I'm very itchy right now too- my skin seems dry everywhere. I'm going through cocoa butter like it's going out of style! So whether or not it prevents anything, it'll feel nice. :) I ended up getting more Palmer's plus a small container of Bio Oil to see how I like it.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm

The bio oil is not actually that oily. I used it. I was lucky to escape without any stretch marks. But I do agree its probably just that some people's skin will get it and some won't.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 pm

QuickChick wrote:Yeah I've heard that too, that if you're going to get them you're going to get them. I'm OK so far, no marks yet, but if the products may help at ALL down the road, I figure it's worth a shot! And yes, I'm very itchy right now too- my skin seems dry everywhere. I'm going through cocoa butter like it's going out of style! So whether or not it prevents anything, it'll feel nice. :) I ended up getting more Palmer's plus a small container of Bio Oil to see how I like it.

I was itchy too , especially with my winter pregnancy. The only thing that helped me sleep through the night was Aveeno anti itch and gold bond medicated powder. Both have menthol in them and felt wonderful. Aloe vera gel worked too, but had a funny texture.
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat May 25, 2013 5:48 pm

AndyM wrote:The bio oil is not actually that oily. I used it. I was lucky to escape without any stretch marks. But I do agree its probably just that some people's skin will get it and some won't.

I used body butter from the body shop. Was really great for itchy skin and I escaped stretch marks too (but that is likely genetics). I have heard people use coconut oil too and that isn't too expensive for a jar of it from the grocery store.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm

A friend of mine swore by massaging the skin and staying hydrated.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 pm

I was so proud of myself during my first pregnancy because I didn't have any stretch marks!

Then my mom pointed out they were all underneath my belly. Sure enough, when I looked in the mirror and lifted the bulk, there they were. :shock:

Now that I am un-pregnant, they are not really that noticeable, at least not to me.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 am

I used a belly butter and bio oil throughout my pregnancy. I ended up with a few small stretch marks on my hips, but I have some from puberty as well in the same spot so I wasn't surprised.

I used the Rocky Mountain Soap Company belly butter and I really liked it.

http://www.rockymountainsoap.com/produc ... 60/1000144

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun May 26, 2013 2:04 pm

I used that belly butter too! So awesome.

Well done racing today hot mommas!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 26, 2013 2:56 pm

IronColl wrote:I used that belly butter too! So awesome.

Well done racing today hot mommas!

merci! :)

does the cream *really* work?

I already have/had some on my hips. I didn't worry about it too much.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Some say bio oil erases marks that are there AND prevents new ones. Some say the butter prevents/reduces them too. Some say it doesn't make a bit of difference. Whatever, the stuff feels nice, smells nice, AND if you're lucky you can get your partner to help put it on (gee, who would say no to that??!). Prince William does it for Kate every night, apparently. If it does anything to actually prevent/reduce/eliminate marks, bonus.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 pm

I got all my stretch marks during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. Coincidence that Zack was 2 weeks overdue? :roll:

They're slowly fading...but whatever. I could really care less. For the 2 times a year I wear a bikini, people can deal with it.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 26, 2013 6:39 pm

jes wrote:I got all my stretch marks during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. Coincidence that Zack was 2 weeks overdue? :roll:

They're slowly fading...but whatever. I could really care less. For the 2 times a year I wear a bikini, people can deal with it.

I got mine like 2 days before my c-section! they're really small though, and under my belly button. And i never wear a bikini, so I'm not too fussed!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Speaking of marks....I have over 5 larger people dots on my legs from mosquito bite scarring (I think).

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? They are new this year! :-(
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 am

Bio Oil?

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 am

da wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Are you pg too Ann???
I'll be curious to know how long after a non-c-section birth it takes before you can run. If I have to have a section I can see 6 weeks for sure, maybe longer. Otherwise it sounds like it could be the same, or less, or even more if things are, well I'm not thinking about that, lol.

I had a boy via an unplanned c-section earlier this month. I have been anticipating at least 6 weeks before I get back to running but it's interesting hearing others experiences in waiting longer. I didn't run at all through the pregnancy.

I had an unplanned (but not emergency) csection with #1 and had the most amazing recovery. I was running at 5 weeks (which I don't think that anyone would actually recommend, but my recovery really was great). And I didn't run at all during pregnancy so I started from scratch running 1 and 1s. Everyone's recovery is different so listen to your body and doctor and see how it feels! Congrats on your new baby!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Kristi, reading stuff like that makes me feel way less terrified!! I was also a fan of Prats' "one of my childbirth experiences was fun" post. 8) :lol:

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 pm

QuickChick wrote:Thanks Kristi, reading stuff like that makes me feel way less terrified!! I was also a fan of Prats' "one of my childbirth experiences was fun" post. 8) :lol:

Pregnancy sucked, but the recovery was good! You'll hear enough horror stories over the next few months, it's good to hear a few good ones too!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:I got all my stretch marks during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. Coincidence that Zack was 2 weeks overdue? :roll:

I got mine like 2 days before my c-section! they're really small though, and under my belly button. And i never wear a bikini, so I'm not too fussed!

I love that fashion advice that is going around where the one part is:

"How to get a bikini body:
Put a bikini on your body."

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am

FishPants wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

I love that fashion advice that is going around where the one part is:

"How to get a bikini body:
Put a bikini on your body."

Exactly :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Just had to share this!

I have two great nephews. Daniel is 3.5 years old and his younger brother Adam just turned two. Daniel is a very pensive, serious child.

My niece is expecting baby no. 3 in September. They broke the news over a family dinner recently that there was going to be another baby.

Silence.

And then Daniel softly said..."what are you going to do with Adam"

We think Daniel was worried that his parents were going to trade Adam (who he adores) in for a "newer" model.... :lol: :lol:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:47 pm

That's hilarious! Out of the mouths of babes... :lol:
I remember asking to send my brother back when he was first born (I was 2 1/2).
A friend gave me the RW pregnancy running book the other day as she's done with it. It's essentially full of stories that make me feel woefully inadequate (one woman ran a marathon in 3:45 at 29 weeks!!). There are a few decent ideas, I suppose, but basically it's just "run till you need to stop, drink enough, eat enough, and if you do feel well enough you can run marathons". Umm, thanks. ;)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:48 pm

My friend is doing a outdoors fitness class for moms and babies. The babies are in the stroller and the moms do all sorts of cardio and strength training exercises while pushing the stroller. My friend had a pass for 10 sessions and was going to lose one, so she invited me to come along today for the last class. I got my @ss kicked by all the hot mamas in the class! I was able to follow but I was passed many times, including once by a mom pushing 12-months old twins up a hill! :lol:

Way to go, hot running mamas. You are all amazing and a real inspiration! :-)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Kelodie wrote:My friend is doing a outdoors fitness class for moms and babies. The babies are in the stroller and the moms do all sorts of cardio and strength training exercises while pushing the stroller. My friend had a pass for 10 sessions and was going to lose one, so she invited me to come along today for the last class. I got my @ss kicked by all the hot mamas in the class! I was able to follow but I was passed many times, including once by a mom pushing 12-months old twins up a hill! :lol:

Way to go, hot running mamas. You are all amazing and a real inspiration! :-)

That's a great idea. These classes didn't exist when I had babies. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:41 pm

My friend is a lot more fit since she started taking those classes last fall. She is even contemplating taking up running! :)

It seems like a great way to meet other moms and the class is very flexible to accommodate different fitness levels and the occasional screaming baby.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I loved my babyworx classes! I am considering them again, just need to figure out if I can work them around the older kids' schedules. Also, my favourite instructor doesn't teach them anymore.

Return to “The Scenic Route”