Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Yay!!! So happy for all the new mommas and momma-to-bes!!! :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 pm

I found out the sex of our last baby only because I had had complications and had several u/s. by about the third one I asked and then had it reconfirmed on the fourth. Even after they said it was a boy I thought there was still a chane for another girl.

It is exciting to wait IMO. Part of the magic.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:39 am

Engmomma wrote:I found out the sex of our last baby only because I had had complications and had several u/s. by about the third one I asked and then had it reconfirmed on the fourth. Even after they said it was a boy I thought there was still a chane for another girl.

I'm not going to lie, I'm more curious to know if our baby will have strawberry-blonde hair and blue eyes than the gender! :lol:
Mostly because I think that would be soooo cute and there is a chance of it!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:
Engmomma wrote:I found out the sex of our last baby only because I had had complications and had several u/s. by about the third one I asked and then had it reconfirmed on the fourth. Even after they said it was a boy I thought there was still a chane for another girl.

I'm not going to lie, I'm more curious to know if our baby will have strawberry-blonde hair and blue eyes than the gender! :lol:
Mostly because I think that would be soooo cute and there is a chance of it!

that's my niece:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Santa pic!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:I'm feeling kicks. I always seem to jump when I get kicked, it really startles me!

The hiccups are even more fun but they usually come a bit later. It's funny to see A get them now that she's out.
Carm

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 am

Yes, Nathaniel got the hiccups a ton when I was pregnant, and he still does. He also does this cute 2-hand stretch when he wakes up, like "I won!", and I can tell that's why my ribs always hurt until he turned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:11 am

C was the hiccup queen in utero! I have great video of the outside of my stomach jumping up and down.

QC - congrats on the 9km run this morning - you're all set for your 10K
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks! I went quite a bit slower than I did my 8K last weekend (5:49 vs 5:31), and consequently it felt a lot easier even though it was longer and hillier! The spit is flat, so I feel like the 10K will be fine as long as I don't go too fast. Even if I do, though, and the last 2K are tough, oh well. I have to get my butt back in shape! I at least don't think I'll end up walking.
How is your running going?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 pm

QuickChick wrote:How is your running going?

I'm actually feeling really good! I've run every day this week - 4-5km/day - all on the treadmill though, because DH was away. The weather this weekend was too miserable, so I stuck inside and skipped a longer run.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Awesome, good for you! I'm glad you have a TM so you've got an indoor option. At a certain point, I think after about 24 weeks, I started to worry a bit more about falling, and definitely if the footing is awful you're very wise to keep it indoors! Sometimes well packed snow can be really nice to run on though, and I guess a bonus about running in Ottawa may be the lack of thawing/re freezing that we get in the GTA. A bonus for footing, anyway, perhaps. Otherwise it is horrible bc it's effing cold there from, like, October to May!! :lol:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 pm

So I did a run today and pretended that QC was running on the treadmill beside me. I'm tired now. :lol:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:27 pm

IronColl wrote:So I did a run today and pretended that QC was running on the treadmill beside me. I'm tired now. :lol:

Nice!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 am

IronColl wrote:So I did a run today and pretended that QC was running on the treadmill beside me. I'm tired now. :lol:

love it! you can pretending i'm running beside you - won't wear you out as much! :wink:
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:

love it! you can pretending i'm running beside you - won't wear you out as much! :wink:

Cool. That boosts my ego back up. :lol:
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Awwww cool!!! I'd love to run with you for real one day. You definitely beat me today- I didn't get out for my run because N needed me to cuddle him or feed him basically all day. It could definitely be a worse demand! I'm relieved that he's been in the swing for 10 mins so I can pee and get circulation back in my arm though, haha!!!

I need some motivation- I have no issues being motivated to get out and run, but getting on the floor to do 10-15 minutes of ab work and push-ups? Soooooo doesn't happen as often as it should!!! Notes on the fridge? Posting a plan here to make me accountable? I've never had a 6 pack and don't particularly care, but I'd at least like to be able to not have muffin top in my jeans. ;)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

QuickChick wrote:

Awwww cool!!! I'd love to run with you for real one day. You definitely beat me today- I didn't get out for my run because N needed me to cuddle him or feed him basically all day. It could definitely be a worse demand! I'm relieved that he's been in the swing for 10 mins so I can pee and get circulation back in my arm though, haha!!!

I need some motivation- I have no issues being motivated to get out and run, but getting on the floor to do 10-15 minutes of ab work and push-ups? Soooooo doesn't happen as often as it should!!! Notes on the fridge? Posting a plan here to make me accountable? I've never had a 6 pack and don't particularly care, but I'd at least like to be able to not have muffin top in my jeans. ;)

do you have any mom and baby boot camps where you are? that's how I got back into shape post-baby (probably best shape of my life). Never would have done it otherwise!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Maybe! That's not a bad idea at all. There's a rec centre up the street- good chance there would be one there. I'm looking to meet other moms in the area too. I grew up here but pretty much all of my old friends have moved away. Thanks!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 am

QuickChick wrote:Maybe! That's not a bad idea at all. There's a rec centre up the street- good chance there would be one there. I'm looking to meet other moms in the area too. I grew up here but pretty much all of my old friends have moved away. Thanks!!

I found I really liked the other women I met because we all had physical activity as a common interest. I didn't become life-long friends with them, but at least we had something to talk about beyond the usual "so, how old is your baby?" small talk.

Do some googling - here, the best programs are run by independent instructors I find, though some work out of city facilities as well.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 am

I think Carm is rather busy, so I'm going to post a link to Alina's baby photos on her behalf :) (I don't think she'd mind, they're on FB :)

http://www.facebook.com/JesseElliottPhotography

Her daughter is the cutest little thing! So sweet!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:58 am

jes wrote:I think Carm is rather busy, so I'm going to post a link to Alina's baby photos on her behalf :) (I don't think she'd mind, they're on FB :)

they turned out so well - love them!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

I second this. Mom and baby bootcamps are awesome and difficult!! And you should do it now. By the time "N" gets older it "may" be harder. I had to stop taking these classes when "A" got too mobile and started picking up the kettle bells :lol: - around 8 months. :D However, you might have a baby who is content to sit/nap in a stroller while you get your sweat on. It would be great if you could find something convenient for you. I have no doubt that the intensity of a bootcamp would be the perfect complement to your running and give you that extra push to feel back "into shape".

do you have any mom and baby boot camps where you are? that's how I got back into shape post-baby (probably best shape of my life). Never would have done it otherwise!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 pm

sorry...typed in the wrong spot there. hehe.

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Pictures look fantastic!

You all know how I feel about bootcamp. :lol:

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 pm

jes wrote:I think Carm is rather busy, so I'm going to post a link to Alina's baby photos on her behalf :) (I don't think she'd mind, they're on FB :)

post a pic of MY cutie....i am not too sleep deprived and busy just incompetent at posting pictures on here!

Alina is so beautiful!!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Return to “The Scenic Route”