Reboot

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Reboot

Postby runlolarun » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am

Spending more than usual time in Maniac Land can be good for my health :)

I am resolved, so resolved that I am going to stick with something that will get me to the Army Run 1/2 with the ability to at least finish the run
before the finish line closes down. I have tried to keep a journal in the past to keep me accountable, but I always end up dropping it. This particular spot in the forum seems a much more appropriate place to start logging the voyage. Plus I am getting good inspiration here. :)

My Challenges:
Piriformis Issues - This was my year for the sub 2 1/2, I firmly resolved that in February. I was doing well, running 5 times a week on the treadmill (I am a Winter wimp) and was doing so for about a month, while ignoring the nagging pain that was becoming a constant in the left hip. The pain progressed over a couple of weeks started going through my buttock, down the back of the thigh, into the the groin, driving became excrutiating etc, etc. All the classic signs of Piriformis it seems. Right now I cannot run (or even walk fast) on pavement.
Time: I have an extremely challenging and stressful job, coupled with a 1hr50 minute commute each way so almost 4 hours commuting time! I love
where I live, but I pay the price with my time.
Other Interests: I have posted many times about my love for and involvement in theatre. It's a passion, but consumes so much time when I am involved in a show.
No pain, no gain: I hate discomfort and have issues (unless I am running) dealing with it. My core is weak - part of the reason for the piriformis issues I think - but I just hate doing the excercises both for stretching and for strength, yup, I'm lazy.
My mood: I struggle with low mood and usually I self regulate it with running. When I don't run, I get into a vicious cycle of being low because I can't run, but not being able to run because I feel too low.

My plan:
Piriformis: I am so fortunate in my job in that it gets me somewhat fast tracked for health services. I almost never take advantage of it, but this time I have been pursuaded by a collegue to do so. I am pretty sure the Piriformis issue (self-diagnosed, I am about to get that confirmed) is spinal in origin. One of the best spinal guys in the city will see me as soon as I get my referral from my family doc - this will be done on Thursday. Then he can get me hooked into Physio (I can't afford private Physio) and this will force me to start doing the appropriate excercises.
Time:
This just has to come down to making a resolution to make time for running. I am going to split my runs - 20 minutes in the morning (then I only need to get up at 5:00 instead of 4:30) and then 20 - 30 minutes in the evening. This all has to be done on the treadmill - after not running, hence resting, for almost 8 weeks, I find that if I run slowly on the treadmill the pain level is manageable, so I have started doing that recently. I do worry if I am going to end up making things worse.
Other Interests
I'm not involved in any shows at the moment and I intend to keep it that way through September - this will involve a huge degree of will power not to go to any of the auditions that start in late August. I can do this. I just have to remember that I am substituting one loved activity for another.
No Pain no gain
See above about hopefully seeing a Physio. Also, I am going to split up my excerices - stretching in the morning, strength in the evening. I will also
split up the number and type that I do and make a schedule to follow. Hopefully that will prevent me from being overwhelmed, getting lazy. wimping
out etc.
Mood
Getting back running again should take care of this. It's just going to take alot of determination over the next couple of weeks (and hopefully no
worsening of the piriformis) to stick with a plan.

Wish me luck.

Today: 3 slow K's on the treadmill. Stretches for Piriformis done. Plan for this evening is core excercises (abs, buttocks, hip ab and aductors).
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".
Lewis Carroll

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Re: Reboot

Postby braveheart » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi!

I can relate to a few things- with piriformis being one and the mood being the other. I know that exercise helps me with my mood as once I fall off it is very easy for me to slip into a low mood but hard to come out of one. I know that a caution I need to take is not to beat myself up a lot when I have a low day - and have the strength to realize it is a low day, and it does not necessarily need to be a low week. I find it super easy to beat myself up and need the reminder that although I have a plan, there must be room for flexibility and compassion for myself (the awesome maniacs have been trying to get this through my thick skull- it has finally been sinking in!).

It seems like you have a plan all worked out. This forum helps as a lot of those who post here understand the needing to start over or refocus.

I look forward to following your journey.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm

I know how hard this is. I've been dealing with a similar issue (sciatica) since January. It has been a long haul back. I recommend finding a good physio who will help you develop a home exersise program. I do find the back/core/stretching program tedious, but finally got it thru my thick skull that if I want to run, I gotta do the exercises. They have paid off for me, and let me gradually get back to running. Hang in there!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Day 2

Day 1 went swimmingly. I ran again in the evening for 30 minutes and it felt great - kind of the Titanic, I'm King of the World great.
I felt so great that I bumped up the speed for the last 10 minutes and then did my strength excercises for hips, butt and abs.
This morning I ran for 30 minutes again, at the higher speed. The hip pain started and I ignored it because I am impatient and results
oriented. Sigh.. I am paying the price - I couldn't sit for the train ride home tonight, far too painful. Lesson learned, DONT PUSH IT.

I am off to take Advil, do my strength excercises, nurse my frustration and start again. I will rest things for a couple of days and then
go back to running at the slower speed that wasn't causing problems. Tomorrow is a new day.
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".

Lewis Carroll

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

I also deal with piriformis. Right now, I know my hip is misaligned again and I'm taking it easy until I see the osteopath next Tuesday. Meh.

How many days a week are you planning on running? I find that I do better with 3 days/week run and 1-2 swims/week. The swims seem to help keep my hips aligned. I'm not sure you enjoy or have time for swimming - there's also yoga if you lack the time and want to do some workouts at home.

Good luck!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 am

Thank you Kelodie, Avis and Braveheart for your words of encouragement and advice.
It has beeen crazy busy for me, but I am back on track. After a few days of licking my wounds, I got into to see
my family doctor. I now have my cervical and spinal MRI set up for August 16th, after that I am good to go to see
the spinal doc. I also started back on prescription anti-inflammatories, and since this past Sunday (24th) I have been
able to return to running very slowly on the treadmill. I got a run in on Sunday, yesterday and just completed a 5k
run this morning.

I am not doing so well on the excercise front though. It will be good to start to see a physio who will hopefully
help me to get the discipline to do my excercises regularly. I also have 6 massages booked on a weekly basis with
an amazing therapist. After only 1 session I feel a difference. Things are definitely looking brighter. My goal is
to try a trail run during my week of vacation August 1 -7.

Lewis Carroll

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Because of the pause, I'm renumbering my days, starting from last Sunday.

Day 6:
My hip is giving me grief today, after some serious dancing last night (local music festival). I had planned a 45 minute run on the treadmill, but
things were really hurting, so I decided it was best to give it a rest - I have managed to run on Sunday, Tues. Wed and Thurs this week, so a rest
is probably the right thing to do anyway.

Did a round of stretches and some hip ab/aductor work, followed by some core and some butt work. I'm feeling like I am really beginning to get
back on track!

Lewis Carroll

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Day 7: Rest day for running. Did hip/core/buttock excercies in am. Did stretching in P.M.
Day 8: Treadmill run: 5.34 very slow K's on treadmill this morning followed by stretches. I would like to say that I will do hip/core/buttock excercises
this evening, but honesty says I probably won't - off now to take in more music, first at Mullan's concert hall, then at the Willow.

I really do feel like I am making progress though - no hip pain during or after the run today.

Lewis Carroll

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31 am

Good to see you're doing your stretches and hip exercises, even if it's not everyday. (There's more to life...like music festivals.) I find that if I get my physio exercise/stretch routine done about 5 times a week, that's sufficient. Also, if I can't do the whole routine, even a couple of the stretches are worthwile.

Keep up the good work!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Avis

Day 9: AM: 8,5 slow K on the treadmill, followed by stretching. PM: Hips/abs/buttocks work. I then tried throwing in a couple of back excercies
I had researched on the internet. INSTANT lower back pain, I was obviously doing something wrong. I need to be patient and wait until
I get hooked up with a physio.

Day 10: AM: 9K on the treadmill, followed by stretching. Had a massage at noon - my therapist is amazing! PM: Just finished strength work/excercises and I am feeling really good. I am going to try taking it to the road tomorrow morning, first outdoor run with a friend in ages. I won't push it though, if my hip/buttock start hurting I will walk.

Lewis Carroll

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Day 11, 12, 13, 14, 15: Unfortunately all missed, due to rushing off to Belleville to deal with a family medical emergency. (unresolved, but now in a holding pattern). At least I did lots of walking back and forth to the Belleville General Hospital (either that or take out a second mortgage to park my car!). I have just arrived back home, will get back on track tomorrow.

Just got the Army Run Newsletter - I'm getting pumped.

Lewis Carroll

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Day 16: Planned on 9.5 K on the treadmill, only managed 5K in am followed by gooood stretching. PM: Unfortunately only excercised my right bicep - was taken out for my bday by my surrogate daughter and some theatre friends. Opening night this Thursday!!

Day 17 (Monday) Nothing, sadly. Frantically trying to deal with family medical crisis and trying to organize respite care in Belleville for father and step-mother.

Lewis Carroll

Return to “The Scenic Route”